Beets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad that I started this thread as you have all given me some wonderful ideas. Thanks.

I like raspberry vinegar for pickling beets; t gives a wonderful flavor. I use the pickling solution later to make a vinegarette for salad.

thanks for the idea. never thought of using beets as a burger topper. :chef:

don't forget to grate cooked beets with fresh horseradish. you can add a little vinegar if you wish.
my mil introduced me to this combo many years ago. it's not easter at our house without beets-n-horseradish.

i like to add chunks of farmer's cheese and hard boiled eggs, and make a meal out of it with some rye bread.

bjcotton said:
I gave the recipe to friends that didn't like pickled beets and now they like them too, but only this recipe.

and this recipe you speak of............may we see it?:cool:

PS - anyone else like beets glazed with fresh orange juice & cinnamon?

Did you ever notice beet slices on a salad bar? Sometimes pickled, sometimes unpick led. I prefer the pickled but the unpickled are fine too.

Are you using pickled beets? That really sounds good.

It's not really much different that using a pickled cucumber which is what goes on our burgers here.

I like beets just don't know how to prepare them. Just look at the possibilitites. This looks yummy!

I've had baby beets served with pasta...really good! I like beets with almost any stew or roasted item. They are great roasted, turned in fresh orange juice and dill!

jkath said:
and this recipe you speak of............may we see it?:cool:

PS - anyone else like beets glazed with fresh orange juice &

cinnamon?
When I roast beets I toss them with grated orange zest, a dash of honey and S&P. I think orange is a wonderful compliment for the beet flavour.

I've never added cinnamon. I have, however, used freshly grated nutmeg when I roast parsnips.

Sure enough jkath. I'll post it in the recipes section. Uh, I guess this is the recipe section huh? I made it both ways, with apple cider vinegar and with Balsamic. Both were delicious. Here it comes:

* Exported from MasterCook *
Pickled Beets
Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fruits-Vegetables
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 quarts small beets quartered
6 cups cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
4 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups sugar
2 tablespoons allspice
2 3 inch cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon hot horseradish per pint jar
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Put beets in prepared pint jars and pour hot mixture over, leaving ¼ - ½ inch head space.
Be sure to add the ¼ tsp hot horseradish to each jar.
Place hot jars on a towel to cool and seal. If jars do not seal, refrigerate and use promptly.
Source:
"Adapted from Earl Vasterling, neighbor"

Last edited:
All I can say I hate beets, :sick: and I grew up around them. Russians eat beets in many-many different dishes with beets. Only now that I'm getting older, I'm starting to eat some of them and not because I started to like them, but because I want my kids to eat them. They are supposedtly good for you.

I think I might try out a beet salad as in potato salad. That might be fun. And Vera, I adore parsnips too, never added nutmeg though, will try that. Now I think of it, a veggie salad perhaps, parsnips, beet, turnip etc. I guess it would turn out all pink. ;Þ

Ellen said:
I think I might try out a beet salad as in potato salad. That might be fun. And Vera, I adore parsnips too, never added nutmeg though, will try that. Now I think of it, a veggie salad perhaps, parsnips, beet, turnip etc. I guess it would turn out all pink. ;Þ

Cook everything seperate, Ellen. When I do roasted root vegetables I use beets with orange zest, parsnips with nutmeg, carrots with tarragon. I roast each seperately, and then toss them together right before I serve them. No colour bleeding at all, and they look fabulous on the plate.

thanks for the idea. never thought of using beets as a burger topper. :chef:

don't forget to grate cooked beets with fresh horseradish. you can add a little vinegar if you wish.
my mil introduced me to this combo many years ago. it's not easter at our house without beets-n-horseradish.

i like to add chunks of farmer's cheese and hard boiled eggs, and make a meal out of it with some rye bread.

I love the beet-horseradish on ham sandwiches, corned beef sandwiches, and good kielbasa. Soooo good!!

Although my husband doesn't care for them, I like beets, & grow them for both the root & the greens.

My favorite ways of enjoying them are plain roasted, peeled, sliced & buttered, or "glazed" in what I believe is called "Harvard" style.
Harvard Beets area beets in a thick vinegar/sugar/butter sauce.. very nice..

1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. vinegar
1 can diced beets(or fresh cooked beets), drain and reserve 1/2 c. of the juice
1 tbsp. butter

Combine sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and beet juice. Cook over low heat until thickened. Add beets and butter. Simmer 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom