Beets Cooked or Uncooked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dannyboy2

Assistant Cook
I have a Question about beet's I'm new here so I hope this is the place for a question.

Now My question is I got my first beets in and I always loved beets in a can so I tryed one uncooked and it burned my mouth and throat to the point of getting blisters in my mouth I'm not sure if I should eat the rest even if I cook them . Help if you know what I did wrong or if I should even eat them.

Thanks Dannyboy

I have never heard of that happening. I have eaten raw beets before and I know they are served raw in saladsoccasionally. Maybe it was the variety of beet? What was the varied you planted? I usually plant Detroit Dark Red.

Last edited:
Beets aren't very acidic, and have no capcaisin that I'm aware of. Maybe you're allergic to raw beets?

Raw beets can burn your mouth? I never came across anyone saying that before either. I hope it still didn't have pesticide or something on it.

Raw beets aren't very pleasant to deal with or eat. Cook them first.

I like mine pickled or made into Harvard Beets, but simply cooked is a good place to start.

Hmm. OP can eat cooked beets, though. Might be more of a contact dermatitis. Interesting link, Steve!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone will take a look at the link steve, not sure what type I planted but I think this is great that we can come here and ask things like this thanks again. have a great night .

Dannyboy2 hyde park ny.

Thanks steve it's sounds like I have an Allergy to raw beets that was a good link .

I do not like cooked beets, though I'll eat them in salad or soup (i.e. Borscht), but I do like raw beets, alwasy have. Simply grated with some dressing, or without. Never heard of Not being able to eat raw beets. I believe you can eat all common vegitables raw.

I do not like cooked beets, though I'll eat them in salad or soup (i.e. Borscht), but I do like raw beets, alwasy have. Simply grated with some dressing, or without. Never heard of Not being able to eat raw beets. I believe you can eat all common vegitables raw.

(unless you have an allergy)

I think you are refering to the Russian beet salad called Vinegrette.

Boiled potato
Boiled beets
Boiled carrots
Pickles
Saur crout
Cooked white beens
Onion (raw)
Oil for dressing

Back
Top Bottom