"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 10-19-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Best way of cooking sweet potato?

I can not cook sweet potatoes so they will be edible. I've tried boiling, baking and microwaving them for varying lengths of time (so has my mother, with the same results), and they always turn out either hard and undercooked or overcooked and watery. What am I doing wrong?

Edo, ergo sum
CrémeBrulée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Master Chef
Cook in the microwave using the same setting as you would an ordinary potato. Just make sure to prick the skin with a fork in several places to allow steam to excape. Also, When you bake in the oven, just use the same technique you would use for a regular potatoe. And remember, the sweet potatoe is more fibrous than is a regular potato. Therefore, the texture is different. Also, just as there are differing varieties of potatoes, with their own unique textures and flavors, so it is with sweet potatoes. The texture and flavor is determined not only by cooking teqhnique, but by variety.

After they are cooked, dry them out by mashing, adding butter and flavorings, and let the steam escape.

The texture of sweet potatoes is somwhere between that of rutabbaga and regular potato.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Executive Chef
When I microwave mine, I cut the ends off and poke the potatoe with a fork. If I bake them, I do the same but also wrap it in foil so the skin will not get hard.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
Sweet Potatoes are an awsome dish. Simple, yet volitale if done wrong.

I simply peel and cut the potatoes into small pieces no bigger than the size of a quarter(25 cent piece). Boil untill the pieces are soft but will still hold their shape. Drain and mash them the best you can(there will still be some chunks)

Depending on the desired amount of potatoes that you cook, add the semi-mashed potatoes and a generous amount of butter to the same pan you just used. Cook an additional 15 min. stirring frequently. Remove from heat and mash or use a blender to reach the desired consistancy. Add brown sugar to your liking, a little more butter and heat it up for an additional 5 min. stirring frequently. (you can substitute butter for margrin) An additional variation is you can add just a pinch of cinnamon or alspice.

This is how I make them around T-day and they are almost always gone before the stuffing is.

Hope this helps.
Eat to live, don't live to eat!
AZRelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:13 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Ever try roasting them? Just oil the skins, put in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Split open, butter and shake with cinnamon sugar, or drizzle some maple syrup on them.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Marmalady, that is exactly the way I do them. I don't usually put the add on's to mine if I'm have several dishes. If we are having just 2 or 3 dishes, I do add butter and cinnamon, sometime.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Executive Chef
peel and slice into chunks, roast till tender (20 min or so depending on size and temp 375*) mash with a little butter and nutmeg, or bake with skin on (pierced) and split open when done, fluff, and season with malt vinegar salt and pepper. both of these are wonderful and not watery.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by marmalady
Ever try roasting them? Just oil the skins, put in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Split open, butter and shake with cinnamon sugar, or drizzle some maple syrup on them.
I roast mine to Marm, but I've always only added some butter salt and pepper. Will have to try your way, they sound delicious..Thanks

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I like them simply roasted, too... with butter. Once we cooked them, foil wrapped in open fire outdoor... they came out soooo delicious!!

I also like Sweet Potato Pie....

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #10
Hospitality Queen
I just posted this one a few weeks ago on the Thanksgiving thread, so pardon me if some of you have already seen it...

But, to me, this is the Perfect recipe of all time, when it comes to sweet potatoes! Thanks go to konditor for this lovely dish!

Baked Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups

5 thin-skinned oranges, halved hemispherically
3 lbs sweet potatoes, pared & cut into large chunks
1 cup white granulated sugar
5 ounces uns. butter (plus another ounce for topping)
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 ounces peeled fresh gingerroot, grated

Using grapefruit knife, remove flesh from oranges over a sieve place above a bowl; reserve the juice. Squeeze remaining juice from fruit into the bowl. Measure out ½ cup orange juice; reserve remaining juice for another use.

Cook sweet potatoes in large, covered saucepan of boiling water for 20-30 minutes, or until they're tender when pierced w/ point of knife. Drain. Return sweet pots to saucepan. Heat over med. heat & shake pan about 1 min. Mash the potatoes. Add orange juice, sugar, 5 oz. butter, and seasonings; beat until combined.

Mound sweet potatoe mixture into orange shells; sprinkle the tops evenly w. grated ginger; dot w/ remaining ounce of butter. (The filled orange cups can be made ahead, covered & refrigerated for up to 6 hours.)

Bake the cups at 350° until heated through, about 25 min.

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote