"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
i love just plain artichokes but I had one in Feb. that I can't forget. Every time I see a big one I want to jump on it and make one stuffed to the gills with finely chopped shrimp,scallops,parsley,shallots,garlic bread crumbs and butter drizzeled all over the thing, It was delicious and gigantic,lots of work but well worth it.
kadesma
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I'm a steamer. I'll definitely try nuking them next time...
I'm impatient to get to the heart, which works for me anyway because I like to strip the leaves and refrigerate them for salads later. They make for handy and tasty scoops to help me fork flat salad greens, and the leaves' meat gets flavored by dressing in the process.
Here is a tip for microwave steaming of artichokes that I got from a microwave cookbook - Can't remember the name or author at the moment.

Clean and trim artichokes. Place in a microwave safe container that they will fit in one layer bottoms down. Place water and lemon juice in container (then dip the cut surfaces in the juice water to prevent discoloration and replace bottom down). Place foil ONLY over the TOP of chokes (so long as there is MORE exposed than is covered by foil it will be safe. I have been doing this for 25 years so it IS TNT) leave bottom and sides UNCOVERED. Steam in microwave at 1/2 power 5 minutes at a time till an inner leaf pulls out when gently tugged.
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #23
Cook
 
infinitecookbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
i love just plain artichokes but I had one in Feb. that I can't forget. Every time I see a big one I want to jump on it and make one stuffed to the gills with finely chopped shrimp,scallops,parsley,shallots,garlic bread crumbs and butter drizzeled all over the thing, It was delicious and gigantic,lots of work but well worth it.
kadesma
WOAH!!!!!! That sounds amazing. Gotta try that.

I had an idea once to cut an artichoke open after steaming it 2/3 of the way, take out the center choke, put a raw lobster tail inside and put it back together and steam the rest of it. I never did it though because I am not so sure it'd really do anything better than just steaming the two separate... unless perhaps the lobster juices would mix with the heart... this is an outtake idea. Expensive experiment. But the shrimp/scallop stuffed Artichoke is a must try.
__________________
Recipe for Oxtail Soup: Grab Ox, remove tail, discard Ox...
infinitecookbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecookbook View Post
WOAH!!!!!! That sounds amazing. Gotta try that.

I had an idea once to cut an artichoke open after steaming it 2/3 of the way, take out the center choke, put a raw lobster tail inside and put it back together and steam the rest of it. I never did it though because I am not so sure it'd really do anything better than just steaming the two separate... unless perhaps the lobster juices would mix with the heart... this is an outtake idea. Expensive experiment. But the shrimp/scallop stuffed Artichoke is a must try.
It is really great I had it once and plan to give it another go soon I do think some parmesan mixed in not much just a little would kick it up a bit, Glad you like the idea,Just make sure to remove the choke, I do that with the small end of a melon baller.
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 116
First, let me say I think cooking them in a microwave is a dis-service to the artichoke. Yes it may be faster but the quality is much lower. Most of us have 40 minutes to steam a few artichokes. (Actually, I can't think of anything that isn't better cooked on a gas stove top or oven than in the microwave.)

Second, the size of the artichoke more or less determines what you will do with it. The larger ones are best for eating leaf by leaf or stuffing and the smaller ones can be steamed quickly and added to other ingredients for an artichoke flavored meal.
__________________
web-collage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #26
Cook
 
infinitecookbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 98
I am glad you said that because I was starting to feel foolish for my 40 minute steaming when it could just be microwaved but... there's always a sacrifice. An artichoke deserves the time. Plus all you have to do is put it in the steamer and leave it. The great thing is that it is good even with absolutely nothing - just steamed. So anything you add to it starts with a great foundation.
__________________
Recipe for Oxtail Soup: Grab Ox, remove tail, discard Ox...
infinitecookbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #27
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecookbook View Post
I am glad you said that because I was starting to feel foolish for my 40 minute steaming when it could just be microwaved but... there's always a sacrifice. An artichoke deserves the time. Plus all you have to do is put it in the steamer and leave it. The great thing is that it is good even with absolutely nothing - just steamed. So anything you add to it starts with a great foundation.
I finally dumped my microwave when I had the gas cooktop installed because there is NOTHING that tastes as good or better when cooked in a microwave. Cooking should be a pleasure and an art, not a race to "nuke" the vitamins and flavor out of our food.
__________________
web-collage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by web-collage View Post
I finally dumped my microwave when I had the gas cooktop installed because there is NOTHING that tastes as good or better when cooked in a microwave. Cooking should be a pleasure and an art, not a race to "nuke" the vitamins and flavor out of our food.
I don't like to wait to boil water in a large pot to cook artichokes. It's the proper way, but I use the microwave. I can't say the artichoke heart tasted any less delicious.

I saw off the bottom of the artichoke about 1/4" above where the stem was. I peel off the lower leaves as they won't have any meat on them.

Removing the fine hairs at the heart is what I find somewhat a chore. It's still steaming hot there. But...it's SO meaty good when you finally cut up artichoke hearts and dip them in melted butter and salt.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #29
Senior Cook
 
Clienta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Isla Mujeres, MX,
Posts: 325
Steamed & served with hollandaise sauce!!! My very favorite treat as a kid!!! I loved scraping the leaves with my teeth & then devouring the heart drizzled in sauce. YUM!

Whenever I head back to the States, I always buy fresh artichokes. One of the things I miss living in Mexico!!
__________________
Clienta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I don't like to wait to boil water in a large pot to cook artichokes. It's the proper way, but I use the microwave. I can't say the artichoke heart tasted any less delicious.

I saw off the bottom of the artichoke about 1/4" above where the stem was. I peel off the lower leaves as they won't have any meat on them.

Removing the fine hairs at the heart is what I find somewhat a chore. It's still steaming hot there. But...it's SO meaty good when you finally cut up artichoke hearts and dip them in melted butter and salt.
Removing the thistle can be a pain, but you might try using the small end of a melon ball scoop to dig out the fuzz saves you somewhat from the heat on the inside.
kadesma
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.