Best way to cook and eat an artichoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone fixed baby artichokes? They are good and not much fuss getting them ready just trim the tips I use sizzors shave off the bottom and then put then in a sauce pan covered with chicken stock, salt and pepper and the juice of a whole lemon, Cook til they want to fall apart. don't worry about any choke there want be any, In a skillet I mash up a tin of anchovies add some crushed garlic and some of the cooking broth, If you've trimmed them and cooked them enough you will be able to eat the whole thing pour over some melted butter and evoo taste for seasonings add some fresh chopped parsleyand dig in
kades

Glad to hear it was a success for you, sunny. You are right, come to think of it, artichokes are very kid-friendly. I usually prepare small artichokes entirely differently. I trim and discard the leaves, and saute or braise just the hearts.

That sounds good! Gonna have to try that. Do the small ones have little chokes you have to scoop out? Does it take awhile to clean these little artichokes out with leaves and everything to get to the heart before it's cooked (ie before it's soft)?

The jarred artichoke hearts still have the bottom of the leaves attached. Do these as well? I've never made the smaller artichokes before. Curious.

I don't recall that I've ever cooked them, but I have had baby artichokes. They're good. Pop 'em in your mouth whole, leaves and all.

The "medium" artichokes are not that hard to prep. Cut in half latitudinally to where you think the heart starts, and discard leaves. Chop off a bit of stem end, and peel to its white flesh. With paring knife, turn and peel remaining layers of leaves until only the heart remains. Yes, scrape off choke. It will be shaped similar to a mushroom, and is often sauteed with. It's usually split in half vertically, too, which helps it cook evenly.

Again, I do like braising them. I think they hold up well even to strong broths like beef or tomato stock.

That sounds good! Gonna have to try that. Do the small ones have little chokes you have to scoop out? Does it take awhile to clean these little artichokes out with leaves and everything to get to the heart before it's cooked (ie before it's soft)?

The jarred artichoke hearts still have the bottom of the leaves attached. Do these as well? I've never made the smaller artichokes before. Curious.
No chokes in the small baby ones. some of the outer leaves will be chewey and tough, these I yank off before I put in skillet to saute them.
kadesma

Trying to steam a couple tonight. I see a flustercluck in my future! Haven't had one 25 years since my step dad made them and don't have a clue other than this entire thread that I just read..oh well, here goes.

Trying to steam a couple tonight. I see a flustercluck in my future! Haven't had one 25 years since my step dad made them and don't have a clue other than this entire thread that I just read..oh well, here goes.
A simple way is to trim the stem trim off themtop leaves to get the stickers. then take a pair of scissors and cut off the rest of the stickers, I then drop in a large pot of water starting to boil adding juisce from a whole lemon the boil til am ie pick stuck into the thick bottom goes in and comes out easy pull from water,and start pulling off leaves dip in either mayo or melted butter eat very end of leaf till you get to fuzzy part in heart. Scoop this part out and discard.slather with mayo or dunk in butter
enjpy. Gotta go wrist is having a fit.
kades

Turned out pretty taste! Thanks for the assistance....

Attachments

• image-3611613848.jpg
    image-3611613848.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 175
Gotta tell you guys a story. My sons best friend's family was like a second family to my son. He was at their home almost as much as he was at home with his Mom and I.

We had Artichokes quite often and he said his friend's family wanted to try them, but had no idea how to cook them.

I explained it fully to my son, but evidently, something got lost in translation. The next day, His friend's Mom called me and asked " We boiled them for more than a couple hours and when we took a leaf off, it was still so tough that we couldn't' chew it."

I thought I had made it clear that there was only a tiny bit of meat on the end of each leaf. They were trying to eat the entire leaf!

I don't know if they ever tried them again. I doubt it.

Turned out pretty taste! Thanks for the assistance....
Beautiful don't know if I helped but like to feel just maybe I might have. This looks great. Glad you enjoyed it.
kades

I justed picked up 16 chokes today at .25 cents a piece. (never happens)
They are kinda small so i was thinking I would remove the leaves and trim them french style. I was thinking about steaming them then sauteing them in some oil,onoins,spices and maybe some corn. i will probably halve or quarter them first.

The other idea was was to chop them after cooking them and making some dip with some roasted jalapeno.

Microwave lobster? (good band name btw). I hope not live! ;) That would be brutal. jk I know you don't mean live. But what do you mean exactly? Like a raw tail? Still, I could never do that. Too pricey to risk... same with artichokes but less so. I might maybe still try microwaving an artichoke just to see. But a lobster? Neva!!!!!!
:chef:
What's the difference between placing live lobsters into boiling water or in the microwave while they are alive? And do veggies feel when they are being picked or cooked? Oh dear! There goes my mind wandering again. :chef:

Removing the thistle can be a pain, but you might try using the small end of a melon ball scoop to dig out the fuzz saves you somewhat from the heat on the inside.
kadesma

A grapefruit spoon does the job very well also. For the big ones, I clip off the tip of each leaf, dip or roll them in lemon juice, and with both thumbs, spread the leaves apart and remove the choke before cooking.

Artichokes are the only veggie I can think of where you end up with more than you started with after you are finished eating one.:chef:

A grapefruit spoon does the job very well also. For the big ones, I clip off the tip of each leaf, dip or roll them in lemon juice, and with both thumbs, spread the leaves apart and remove the choke before cooking.

Artichokes are the only veggie I can think of where you end up with more than you started with after you are finished eating one.:chef:

Hey Addie, I've never removed the choke prior to it being cooked. Is it difficult to remove that way? It would be very nice to NOT have to remove it while eating.

Thanks,

Tim

I do mine the same way and use the grapefruit spoon also.

Back
Top Bottom