"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by web-collage View Post
I finally dumped my microwave when I had the gas cooktop installed because there is NOTHING that tastes as good or better when cooked in a microwave. Cooking should be a pleasure and an art, not a race to "nuke" the vitamins and flavor out of our food.

i really have to disagree with you about microwaves. vegatables keep more vitamins because of using less water and not being overcooked. i use mine for many things. melting butter or chocolate. certainly reheating meals, there again, less time, less dried up leftovers. i cook lobster in mine as well as the artichoke. don't feel i lose any of the flavor of the food i cook in it. i have proofed bread in mine. mine also has a convection oven part, handy for browning things if you need to do so. i feel i save a lot of time that i can then spend on making things, that require a lot of time, to mix . etc. guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #32
Cook

Microwave lobster? (good band name btw). I hope not live! That would be brutal. jk I know you don't mean live. But what do you mean exactly? Like a raw tail? Still, I could never do that. Too pricey to risk... same with artichokes but less so. I might maybe still try microwaving an artichoke just to see. But a lobster? Neva!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Cooking it has been covered, eating it should be with your partner of choice the artichoke like the fig if eaten properly is a very erotic vegetable.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #34
Senior Cook

"I don't like to wait to boil water in a large pot to cook artichokes. It's the proper way, but I use the microwave."

I cook three or four large artichokes in about 1" of water in a 5 qt pan with lid. This gives one warm to eat or split with a friend (Bolas is right about that) as the beginning of a slow meal with wine or champagne. The others can be covered and refrigerated for the next day. Very good eaten cold or at room temp. When you arrive at the fuzzy choke after eating the leaves, it is very easy to use a spoon and remove the fuzz.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

lobster tail in micro. put in plastic bag, about a tablespoon water. don't close bag all the way. 4 min tops on high. comes out really really moist, cooked and delicious.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #36
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
lobster tail in micro. put in plastic bag, about a tablespoon water. don't close bag all the way. 4 min tops on high. comes out really really moist, cooked and delicious.
Thanks. I don't know if I can do it! A lobster tail is so precious. I do like to broil them in a toaster oven though. One thing I picked up from a sushi place in LA is a Lobster Dynamite. You chop up the lobster tail, mix it with some mayo and garlic powder, slice up some mushrooms and put that all back in the tail, squirt a little lemon juice on it and broil it until you see it start to get browned on the top. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmM! That you can't do in a microwave I tell ya! (but I am not against microwaves, they have their place).
Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

that sounds good too. might just have to give it a go.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Smokey Artichokes with Chili-Honey Butter

You don't have to use water to cook artichokes! Using broth with wine and spices will give it a really interesting flavor. Top it with a little cheese, and serve it with a unique butter mixture, like chipotle and honey or mixed herb butter.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #39
Cook

Well, I ended up steaming them on top of the stove with salt and pepper. I did cut them in half first. I served them with melted butter in the cavity where the choke was and sprinkled with fresh grated parmesan cheese. The kids liked them, I liked them, my husband was kind of "eh". These were pretty small, so not much in each leaf, but the heart was good, and it was fun to eat new foods with the family. Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #40
Head Chef

Glad to hear it was a success for you, sunny. You are right, come to think of it, artichokes are very kid-friendly. I usually prepare small artichokes entirely differently. I trim and discard the leaves, and saute or braise just the hearts.

Tags
cook, other