"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hey Addie, I've never removed the choke prior to it being cooked. Is it difficult to remove that way? It would be very nice to NOT have to remove it while eating. Thanks, Tim
No. The secret is to get the two thumbs down into the top and spread them apart as far as you can without breaking the veggie. Then reach down with whatever tool you are planning on using. Starting on the outside of the choke, go around and under the bottom and cut and dig it out. Sounds harder than it really is. A grapefruit spoon has a serrated edge and makes the job so much easier.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No. The secret is to get the two thumbs down into the top and spread them apart as far as you can without breaking the veggie. Then reach down with whatever tool you are planning on using. Starting on the outside of the choke, go around and under the bottom and cut and dig it out. Sounds harder than it really is. A grapefruit spoon has a serrated edge and makes the job so much easier.
Thanks Addie! I saw some at the store a couple days ago that were nice and large. I'll try it!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #63
Master Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Addie! I saw some at the store a couple days ago that were nice and large. I'll try it!
YUP. Addie is completely correct. I do it the same way. Then I stuff the whole middle and the leaves.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #64
Wine Guy

Lots of good ideas for cooking artichokes. I'd like to share my favorite dip (courtesy of the California Artichoke Advisory Board). Butter is good, but this is heavenly.

Casanova's Appassionata Artichoke Dip

1/2 C sour cream
1/2 C mayonnaise
1-1/2 T chopped chives plus extra for garnish
1 T prepared horseradish
1/2 t salt

In a bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, chives, horseradish, and salt; chill. Garnish with additional chives.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

I found a way that I love. par boil choke part way, cut in half, remove thistle then put the cut choke on a preheated very hot grill. Cook til as dark as you like. remove to plate. dab a ;ittle butter mixed with fresh chopped herbs of choice, and enjoy.Fave herbs are dill,parsley,finly chopped garlic and marjoram.
kades
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Here is a tip for microwave steaming of artichokes that I got from a microwave cookbook - Can't remember the name or author at the moment.

Clean and trim artichokes. Place in a microwave safe container that they will fit in one layer bottoms down. Place water and lemon juice in container (then dip the cut surfaces in the juice water to prevent discoloration and replace bottom down). Place foil ONLY over the TOP of chokes (so long as there is MORE exposed than is covered by foil it will be safe. I have been doing this for 25 years so it IS TNT) leave bottom and sides UNCOVERED. Steam in microwave at 1/2 power 5 minutes at a time till an inner leaf pulls out when gently tugged.
Are you talking about using aluminum foil in the microwave?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't think I want to try foil in my microwave. If fact, my book says, "Never cover food with aluminum foil." Today's newer larger models are made to use foil. My daughter has one with two metal slideout shelves in hers. And even if I had hers, I don't think I would want to cook a meal in one. It just doesn't have that 'long, slow cooked' taste.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
I don't think I want to try foil in my microwave. If fact, my book says, "Never cover food with aluminum foil." Today's newer larger models are made to use foil. My daughter has one with two metal slideout shelves in hers. And even if I had hers, I don't think I would want to cook a meal in one. It just doesn't have that 'long, slow cooked' taste.
You've confused me now. They make microwave ovens now that you can use aluminum foil in? Wow! I had no idea!

It would be an instant melt-down if it were in mine.

Your daughter's microwave has metal shelves in it? Again, WOW! How in the heck do they do that?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #69
Master Chef

Quote:
OK Heres the skinny Tim. I have a micowave cookbook by Barbra Kafka. And learned that so long as you DO NOT completely cover the food with foil it is safe. Foil deflects the microwaves. So long as there is more food uncovered you are fine. If you just cover the top of the food and leave the bottom open the microwaves will ONLY cook from the bottom up.I have been doing my chokes this way for 20 years and haven't killed a microwave or any living beings yet. This is a TNT method.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
OK Heres the skinny Tim. I have a micowave cookbook by Barbra Kafka. And learned that so long as you DO NOT completely cover the food with foil it is safe. Foil deflects the microwaves. So long as there is more food uncovered you are fine. If you just cover the top of the food and leave the bottom open the microwaves will ONLY cook from the bottom up.I have been doing my chokes this way for 20 years and haven't killed a microwave or any living beings yet. This is a TNT method.
Thanks for that explanation, msmofet. If I put a cup in my microwave that has jsut a tiny bit of gold leaf on it, the gold instantly pops and melts off of the cup. I was thinking that metal foil would do the same thing. I'm going to have to try this method.

That's just amazing to me!

Here's a video of the method I use:

Tags
cook, other