"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #71
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
You've confused me now. They make microwave ovens now that you can use aluminum foil in? Wow! I had no idea!

It would be an instant melt-down if it were in mine.

Your daughter's microwave has metal shelves in it? Again, WOW! How in the heck do they do that?
I got my first microwave in 1985 and it also had a metal rack so you could cook 2 TV/frozen meals at once. But it didn't come with a standard turn table at that time. So long as the waves have more area NOT foil/metal to work on it will be fine.

Here is something I just found online:

You CAN Use Foil in the Microwave

Yes, foil can be used in your microwave and I’ll bet you’ve already done it without knowing.
I discovered this, and I’m ashamed to admit it, when I actually read the manual for my Microwave. Most people don’t believe this when I tell them, because they’ve always been strictly warned against using any metal in the microwave. I can’t blame them, even fellow blogger, Tinfoil Chef suggests that tin foil not be used in the microwave and there are lots of videos on youtube (like the one below) of foil being used incorrectly in the microwave.

But, there is good reason to use foil in the microwave and most people aren’t doing it.
First, let’s take a step back. Your food is heated by absorbing microwaves, but tin foil does not allow microwaves to pass through it. In other words, tin foil shields your food from microwaves. That can be used to your advantage!
This microwave user manual (pdf) suggests, “Thin areas of meat and poultry cook more quickly than meaty portions. To prevent overcooking, these thin areas can be shielded with strips of aluminum foil. Wooden toothpicks may be used to hold the foil in place.” [Page 25]
The next time you put a frozen mini pizza in the microwave, look closely at the top of the stand that the box turns into. That silver sheet under the pizza actually reflects microwaves so the pizza cooks more evenly with a crispier crust.
If you buy microwavable soups that have a peel back metal lid, there is a rim of metal left over. The side of the carton comforts consumers by saying, “Remaining metal rim is microwavable.” They have to say this, because most people don’t believe you can put metal in the microwave.
Some microwaves come with a metal probe that you can use inside the microwave to monitor the temperature of your food. Some microwaves even have metal shelves inside of them! So, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t use metal in your microwave, the key is to know when and how to use it.
The USDA has guidelines for safely using foil in the microwave here. Before trying it, be sure to check your microwave’s manual for official warning and usage guidelines.

BrokenSecrets.com >> You CAN Use Foil in the Microwave « Broken Secrets

Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #72
Executive Chef

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? This old dog just learned a very handy new trick!

Thank you ladies!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
You've confused me now. They make microwave ovens now that you can use aluminum foil in? Wow! I had no idea!
It would be an instant melt-down if it were in mine.

Your daughter's microwave has metal shelves in it? Again, WOW! How in the heck do they do that?
I remember when they first came out. The original ones were big and cumbersome and sold to the military and restaurants. Then Tappan came out in the early 60's with a home version. The timer was a turn knob set to needed minutes. I remember looking at one in the store and the cost was well over $1,000.00. Way out of my pocketbook. For the brave who felt they just had to have the latest and greatest in their kitchen, they were terrified of them. Some folks left the room for fear they would be cooked. Some folks brought them back to the store because they tried to run them with the door open. They wanted to see if the food cooked any differently. But as the price dropped over time, they became an indispensable kitchen appliance. The following site should give you a better insight.

Microwave oven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
cook, other