Best way to prepare fiddleheads??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I was in whole foods this weekend and they had fiddleheads. Its been about 15 years since ive had them. Dont remember what i did, so just curious if anyone has any suggestions ??

larry

if i remember correctly they kind of have a cross between a stringbean/ asparagus flavor consistency ( but its been 15 years)

They basically the immature rolled up leaf/ ste, of a fern.

Damn those look good... Going up to Atlanta in the morning and going straight to whole foods to see if I can get me some of those bad boys!!! :LOL:

...fiddlehead frittata

...fiddleheads, fetuccine, pinenuts, garlic, shallots, dried chili flakes, rice wine, drizzled with lemon olive oil on a bed of fettucine

...fiddleheads, gnocchi, morels, roasted red peppers, artichokes

...fiddleheads and cheese omelette

...fiddlehead soup (made with milk, romano cheese, garlic, and soft cooked fiddleheads) garnished with one spiral in center

...sauteed fiddleheads and scallops

...fiddlehead stirfry

...fiddleheads and crawfish (or shrimp) salad with fennel, potatoes, white wine vinegar, shallots, olive oil, and arugula

Attachments

• fiddlehead recipe.jpg
    fiddlehead recipe.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 236
I absolutely ADORE fiddleheads, & buy them whenever quality ones are available. For me that was just last week at Wegmans - a big bin full of the nice crisp fresh fern heads. (Do avoid the brown slimy plastic clam-shell packed Fiddleheads that have recently appeared at a few markets - Harris Teeter around here. Ugh.)

I just blanch them in boiling water for about 3-4 minutes tops, & then usually just drain & dress with butter, salt, & pepper. Sometimes I'll sub in Cavendar's Greek Seasoning. Sometimes I'll add them to a spring vegetable stirfry. The simpler prep the better, as their flavor is very mild.

Yes - late April thru late May is the usual season for fresh, although there are a few online companies that sell them frozen (fiddleheads do freeze well).

The edible "fiddlehead" is actually the emerging shoot of the Ostrich Fern. So once spring passes & the ferns have unfolded, the season for culinary use is over.

The Ostrich Fern is the only variety considered safely edible, although even then it should never be consumed raw, only cooked. So if woods wandering, never assume any "fiddlehead" you see is edible - all ferns emerge that way, & many are deadly toxic.

Damn those look good... Going up to Atlanta in the morning and going straight to whole foods to see if I can get me some of those bad boys!!! :LOL:

Found them In whole foods by the exotic mushrooms ( just so it doesnt turn into a scavenger hunt for you). I was impressed because the cashier actually knew what they were ( they weren't labeled).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom