"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Unhappy Bitter eggplant

I've had a craving for an eggplant sandwich for a week, so I went and bought myself a nice eggplant today. I've never actually used eggplants in anything, but I do like to eat it in restaurant dishes. There must be a trick to it though, because my sandwich came out very bitter! All I did was slice the eggplant and brown it in a pan. Is there an extra preparation step that I didn't know of?

Old 04-02-2006, 04:44 AM   #2
Master Chef

Dear Biev,

I read about this technique years ago on how to debitterize (word?) an eggplant and it's never failed me. I'm sure that you will get a lot of feedback on this question as well with other ideas. Lightly sprinkle your slices with salt and then place in a pan (I use my oblong) that has been lined with several paper towels. Then place more paper towels on top of the slices. Then place plates, or a smaller oblong pan on top to weight the paper towels down. This method (osmosis) has the salt extracting the bitter juices out the slices thus being absorbed by the paper towels. Then grill, cook, sautee away! Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Head Chef

Hi blev, yep, eggplants sure can be bitter.

Have found the least bitter ones I have ever tasted are those we pick fresh from our garden and cook soon after.

But we usually pick them relatively small, whereas the ones we find in the markets, even the local farmer's markets, are larger.

Have guessed that the longer they are away from the garden, and the larger they get, the more bitter they are.

But that is just a guess.

Anyway, as Expat says, find that if I salt the raw slices fairly liberally (I am not a salt freak so maybe my liberally is Expat's lightly) and toss in a collander to drain for a while, it takes a lot of the bitterness out.

Put a plate under the eggplant as it drains and you will be surprised how much fluid comes out.

Great post, am looking forward to reading other folk's ideas.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Master Chef

Great tip expa and auntdot......thanks! I haven't cooked with it much in the past but plan to as we'll be having a garden this year. Thanks for asking the question Biev.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Aunt Dot is correct. The larger the eggplant, the more mature they are, the more seeds they will yield, and the more bitter they will be. Older eggplant will have a more spongier and fluffier texture. Younger eggplant will have a more firm texture.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Master Chef

This is one of the few times I use table salt ...

Slice the eggplant and sprinkle both sides with salt and toss into a colander ... let set for about 30-minutes ... then quickly rinse in cold running tap water (to get rid of the salt and the bitter "juices" it has drawn out) ... then pat dry with paper towels.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Master Chef

Isn't there something about a female eggplant vs. a male eggplant being a different size, shape, flavor, or something. Seems like I heard a cook on foodnetwork say something like that before. I'd asked the guy at the farmers market about it last year and he looked at me like I had 2 heads .....so since you guys can't give me a puzzled look I thought I'd ask
Old 04-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I will definitely try the salt trick, I have a lot of eggplant left from yesterday. It was a pretty big one, but my grocery store doesn't offer much choice when it comes to vegetables... I was thinking that maybe the seeds were responsible for the bitterness, but they look impossible to remove without throwing out the whole thing!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Another tip. My husband says that the same small (and not bitter) eggplant his family buy in Turkey can be found in Asian markets in the U.S. Just a thought. :)
Old 04-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
Senior Cook

This is key west, no fancy imported food here ;o)

Tags
None