"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: derby
Posts: 6
Boiling Majorcan new potatoes

hello

what is the best way to boil new potatoes? it might sound strange but i cannot seem to replicate the taste my mum does. yes i follow her directions but they arent the same.

i lightly salt the water in the pan, i dont use too much water and i boil it down until theres not much left, just like my mum does.

should i place the potatoes in the cold water then bring to the boil? or do i drop them in ready boiling water?

is it best to cook high and fast? or on a lower heat and slow?

is the taste effected by the water? maybe my tap water isnt the same quality as my mums, or should i buy bottled still water to use?

ive trawled around the internet but these questions arent really answered or are contradicted.

and iseas will be gratefully recieved thank you.

__________________

robert g shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,436
It could be your memories or it could be the soil that the potatoes are grown in.

Freshly dug potatoes sometimes retain a bit of that earthy flavor more so than older potatoes that have been kept in storage.

Good luck!
__________________

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,279
Place the potatoes in salted tap water and then bring the pot to a boil. Continue to boil until a knife point slides easily into the potato. The potatoes should be completely submerged the whole time. Depending on the size of the potato, they should be done in 15-20 minutes.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: derby
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It could be your memories or it could be the soil that the potatoes are grown in.

Freshly dug potatoes sometimes retain a bit of that earthy flavor more so than older potatoes that have been kept in storage.

Good luck!
same crop, lol, i bought them from the same supplier, had some at home then had some at my mums.. hers were better...

thanks
robert g shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: derby
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Place the potatoes in salted tap water and then bring the pot to a boil. Continue to boil until a knife point slides easily into the potato. The potatoes should be completely submerged the whole time. Depending on the size of the potato, they should be done in 15-20 minutes.
now you see, thats a contradiction ive been on about - having the potatoes submerged. my mum has always boiled away the water, a tv cookery expert over here says you should boil them with little water, others say what you have and thats to keep them submerged.... talk about confused dot com! lol

thanks.
robert g shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,279
Try it both ways and choose.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert g shaw View Post
now you see, thats a contradiction ive been on about - having the potatoes submerged. my mum has always boiled away the water, a tv cookery expert over here says you should boil them with little water, others say what you have and thats to keep them submerged.... talk about confused dot com! lol

thanks.

You need to submerge any food to cook it in boiling water. The more water the better for even cooking.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: derby
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
You need to submerge any food to cook it in boiling water. The more water the better for even cooking.
oh i do, to begin with. but on our tv nigella or delia (one of those top tv cooking experts here in the uk) said less water is best for potatoes and indeed my mum whos spuds are always tastey boild the water away.

see my confusion here! lol.
robert g shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: derby
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Try it both ways and choose.
yes, im going to now...
robert g shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:48 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: derby
Posts: 6
yep..... sorted... boiling down water was wrong, less isnt best

i kept them covered and added a bit of water to keep them covered whilst boiling.

it worked, they were delicious :)
__________________

robert g shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oil, potato, potatoes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.