Bombay Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
Here we go; Serves 6-8 so adjust accordingly
3tblsp vegetable oil
1 Teasp mustard seeds
1 " Turmeric
1 " garem masala
1 " chili powder
pinch of Cumin
1 walnut-size piece of fresh ginger
4 knobs of butter
6 potatoes--par-boiled and cubed ( about 1" size is good)
Tin of chopped tomatoes
garnish of fresh coriander or parsley will do

Heat oil gently and cook off spices for a minute or so then add the butter.
Stir in the cubed potato making sure they are well coated. (Now, IF you cannot access all the above spices you could substitute with 2 tablespoons of a good curry powder at this stage OK?)
Cook gently for a minute or 3 and then add the tomatoes. Warm through and add the fresh herbs
Simple and very delicious
Enjoy, especially in the cold weather

I've just bought a bag of these small potatoes, which I would probably have fried -- I'm sure this is a much more healthful choice. Thanks. However, like Bill, it does sound to me as though it would need more potatoes to serve that many.

Yes, I use a 400gr tin of tomatoes.
Also, I serve this as a side dish to the main event which sometimes is a meat curry and sometimes another vegetable dish. It's a nice change from rice which can make me feel 'bloated' on occasion

But these 6 are only 1". :huh:

I think CW's answer was with regard to the original recipe, which I think calls for regular-sized potatoes. I'd estimate how many of the small potatoes you have would equal about the same volume as a regular-size potato and continue with the recipe.

agreed, steve.

and thanks, menumaker. this looks really good. i really love indian food, especially "aloo".

Don't get me started on ' Aloo' or paneer with spiced spinich..I drool at the thought of Indian food, especially vegetarian food and I'm a dedicated meat eater as well !

I believe that's 1-inch cubes. 6 regular sized potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes.

D'oh. :blush: Well (casting about for someone to blame) I misunderstood because those potato people came out with these teeny potatoes. Last year, I wouldn't have looked so dumb. It's all their fault.

That sounds great CW, glad I inspired you. Try par-boiling and then sauted caulifower and onion with the same spices but no tomato, just a little stock. That's good too.

Back
Top Bottom