Bottled red roasted bell peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ham Hock said:
I use paprika to garnish, it has little flavor at all, at least around here. I use it to dash red across the dish but have never even considered its flavor content.

I got my sweet paprika from my kid sister's travels to Poland, but really i think the showstopper is the addition of cinnamon. You don't expect it, and it delivers a pretty interesting kick.

In my opinion, and I would certainly enjoy having some factual input here...pimento and roasted red peppers are the same animal, just a different size.
Taste them side by side and see what I mean.
When I was in Spain, one of my fondest memories was having a beer at a roadside restaurant, sitting outside in the shade of an olive tree. On the table was 3 or 4 bowls of different olives, and hanging on the side of the building was string after string of drying "pimentos" At least that was what my crude Spanish translation said... they looked like red peppers strung together.
What a great day that was... and I still love pimentos and roasted red peppers!

The pimento is a heart shaped, sweet, meaty red pepper that is a little spicer and more aromatic than a red bell pepper. They are skinned by boiling or roasting in the oven, then submerging in cold water. I used to grow them in the greenhouse for some of my customers who canned their own.

Constance what name do they sell the seed under?

I have scoured the seed catalogs looking for "pimento" peppers and never seen the first offering.

Which one is it?

Thank you very much, jennyema, but I have seen that pepper billed as other things. (and have some seedlings on the way and 3 inches tall)

Is pimento really just any sweet red pepper?

Or is there a real peminto pepper?

I've never had roasted red peppers to my knowledge. I've seen chefs prepare them on cooking shows and thought it was really cook and I always planned to do it but just never have. I will def. be looking for a bottle of them on my next grocery visit.

Anyone else have any recipes that use them? If so, would you mind posting them i the vegetable forum.

SizzlininIN they give you a whole nuther angle believe me.

I am making some cajun boudin and also some Tuscan sausage on sat, I am excited about what this ingridient will do for both of them.

Constance thanks for the imput, I haved asked a lot of people what the heck
a pimento really is and gotten just as many responses.

I will tell you this, The red peppers I have been using, roasted from the bottle, make a pimento old news.........

Not only is the pepper good, but the water they come packed in is a finishing spirit worth buying the peppers in the first place.

If I could just learn how to do red peppers in this fashion, oh well, yet another horizon,,,,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom