Bottled red roasted bell peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ham Hock

Cook
How do you guys feel about these?

I bought some and was shocked at how good the flavor is on them.

I've started using them in all kinds of stuff.

I think they are great, I usually roast my own, but when red peppers are $2 apiece, or out of season, i see nothing wrong with them

Love them... only issue I have is when I don't use a whole bottle, the left overs don't keep well.
Anyone with a trick to extend the life of an opened bottle?

I consider myself to be pretty good with both grilling and smoking, but I just cant get that flavor off my rigs. It just POPS when you eat one from a jar and I cant make mine do that.

What do you guys do when you do them yourself?

Yeah Hopz...get a Foodsaver and vacuum all the air out of them. It will buy you a little time.

I just blacken them on the stovetop then place them under a bowl for about 15 minutes to steam. Then remove the skins and seeds. That is it.

My jarred peppers generally last for quite a while.

I use them in things where the taste of the preserving liquid will enhance the dish or at least not interfere.

Otherwise I roast my own, I tend to like them better.

I dont know if you have ever tasted the water they come packed in, but once I did that, (almost no salt and packed with flavor) I started using that TOO and it does bring more flavor.

I have tried both grilling and smoking red peppers but I cannot even get close to the flavor they have in the bottle, not even close. I just dont know what the heck is causing that.

I make a pasta dish with grilled chicken, black olives, capers, and roasted red peppers. Just do the chicken on the grill... and saute the olives, capers and peppers with a healthy dose of garlic... then when those are cooked add in some crushed tomatos... warm it all up, slice the chicken which you cooked on the grill and pour it all over the cooked pasta. Easy and good.

I was thinking about taking garden grown reds and grilling them and then put them in distilled water for a spell in the frig.

Then puree them with some roasted garlic and the water I chilled them in and making an addition for a dish when you need that kind of flavor.

I even thought of just puree the peppers and some of the water right out of the jar with some roasted garlic and some FG black pep as a "kick it" option to dishes right before you plate them.

Last edited:
I use them regularly along with roasting my own. I found they get moldy fast so I just buy the smallest jars and plan on using them up.

They make a great addition to pasta and to sandwiches.

Ham Hock said:
I was thinking about taking garden grown reds and grilling them and then put them in distilled water for a spell in the frig.

Then puree them with some roasted garlic and the water I chilled them in and making an addition for a dish when you need that kind of flavor.

I even thought of just puree the peppers and some of the water right out of the jar with some roasted garlic and some FG black pep as a "kick it" option to dishes right before you plate them.

I would definitely acidify the water with citric acid or vinegar or lemon juice or something for safety's sake.

Ham, you might like this sauce over all those fish you catch:

TNT Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

We had this sauce over a pork loin roast last night. I substituted Tabasco for ground red pepper with perhaps too heavy a hand, but otherwise this sauce was a success. Very rich flavor!

Recipe is adapted from Joy of Cooking.

Heat 2 T olive oil in a medium heavy pan over medium heat. (I used my cast iron skillet.) Add 1-1/2 cups chopped onions and stir often, until lightly browned.

Stir in:
3 large or 4 medium red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and coarsely chopped
2 T minced garlic
1 T sweet paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground red pepper to taste

Cook for one minute more. Add:
1-1/2 cups beef stock and one cup water, or 2 cups water

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and very slowly simmer the sauce for 1-1/2 hours. Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor and season with salt and pepper (doesn't need the salt and pepper, IMO).

Oh I am SO diggin THAT recipe!

I got all the stuff and am gonna do sausage all day saturday, but you use NO ONION in that? I just cant cook without onion in this genre.

Im preppin sausage now and got it honed down to 4 different types

I like sweet pepper jelly to go with sliced sausage, cheese and crackers..

I thunk Im gonna try this Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and see what happens........

The only thing I am concerned about is the difference between sweet paprika and not.

I use paprika to garnish, it has little flavor at all, at least around here.

I use it to dash red across the dish but have never even considered its flavor content.

Last edited:
I've never tried any bottled ones. We roast them on the grill in the summer, and in the winter, I toss the peppers in olive oil and do in the oven or skillet. They're not true roasted peppers, but they sure are good.
GB, I have a smooth glass cooktop...Might be good for blackening the peppers, but what do you think that would do to my stovetop?

A very inexpensive item that I always keep on hand is jarred pimento. They look pretty in lots of dishes, and add a mild, sweet red pepper taste.

I buy jars of roasted red peppers all the time. Once the jar is opened, I top it up with plain white vinegar every time I use a pepper or pepper(s). Enough vinegar to keep the peppers completely covered. I find the jar ends up lasting just as long as other pickled products in the fridge.

A very inexpensive item that I always keep on hand is jarred pimento.

Now theres a tip that I use all the time. I love Pemintos

Back
Top Bottom