"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Head Chef

Thanks all. I knew there were many ways to enjoy broccoli goodness.

Blissful, It seems chopping them small is the way to go to enjoying them.

Larry, Thanks for the Risotto recipe. Anything by Jacques should be good and I'll have to give it a try.
Since I'm in the stone age with Internet I haven't watched the vid yet but where there is a will there is a way.

Grating them and using them in a slaw sounds good too.
I've often pondered grating them and using them in some sort of patty way?

Suggestions/Ideas anyone?

Katie H, Steamed ahead of time is very helpful.
It's much like blanching and extends the storage time so as to accumulate enough to be able to have a meal of them.

PF, Craig C, and FeralBoy, Thanks for your input.

And Welcome to DC FeralBoy.

Thanks from this Curmudgeon for all the reply's folks.

This is why I posted this here before I went to the faceless Goggle.

Any and all thoughts on deep fried or patties are welcome.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I make zucchini cakes, no reason you can't make broccoli cakes. Sounds good actually!

Old 07-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Zagut, as for patties, I don't see why you couldn't make them with shredded broccoli stems, well squeezed and patted dry, and mix with some beaten egg and bread crumbs. Season. Form into patties and fry. Or form into balls like falafel and deep fry. Mind you, I haven't tried either one of these, but it just might work.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
I love the floret's in many different ways. But haven't really found a good use for the stems and leaves except to add them to stock.

Been thinking maybe deep fried stems might be interesting and might have to give it a try some day.
After all they seem to deep fry anything at State and County fairs.

Anybody have any suggestion's or should I keep sending them to the compost pile or freezer for stock at a later date?

This question came to mind as I prepped broccoli for tonight's dinner.

I hate to waste anything that has a use I don't know about.

Yes the compost pile isn't a waste as it is used to grow more later but if I can cook it and enjoy it it's much more fun.
Three stems that people discard, but that are delicious when used: broccoli - steamed or sauteed in butter, cauliflower - like broccoly, but can also be grated into slaws, artichoke - once the petals are scraped with you teeth, and you get to the heart by removing the choke, you get a wonderful treat in that heart. The heart is simply the end of the stem. If you slice and steam the stem, it's good to the other end.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
Head Chef

Broccoli stems, cauliflower stems, and cabbage can be used for vegetable broth, but unless you are making one of those soups, I didn't care for the vegetable broth made with any of them. They seem to over power the flavor of the broth.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #16
Head Chef

Another thing I do, when Im going to a party and am asked to bring veggies and dip. When Im done cutting up all the florets of the broccoli, I then peel the broccoli stems, cut them up into " sticks", and include them in the veggies to dip with. Every single time, someone will ask " what vegetable is this ?? " . I think they enjoy having something a little bit different.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Another thing I do, when Im going to a party and am asked to bring veggies and dip. When Im done cutting up all the florets of the broccoli, I then peel the broccoli stems, cut them up into " sticks", and include them in the veggies to dip with. Every single time, someone will ask " what vegetable is this ?? " . I think they enjoy having something a little bit different.

This is a good idea, Larry! Took me many years to get DH to eat broccoli stems. "I don't like them." Little does he know I've been putting them in my broccoli soup for years. Shhhh, don't tell him I said that.

I hate wasting anything. The peeled stems are just fine.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This is a good idea, Larry! Took me many years to get DH to eat broccoli stems. "I don't like them." Little does he know I've been putting them in my broccoli soup for years. Shhhh, don't tell him I said that.

I hate wasting anything. The peeled stems are just fine.
I have been peeling the broccoli stems for years. My kids called them trees. I didn't care what they called them as long as they ate it. Some of my kids liked just the peeled stems, the rest florets. No waste in this family.

Your secret is safe.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The stems are really easy to peel with a paring knife. As others have mentioned, steam them with the florets. The steamed stems would be a great addition to a vege and pasta salad.
I use my serrated veggie peeler on the stems. Goes real fast.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
I love the floret's in many different ways. But haven't really found a good use for the stems and leaves except to add them to stock.

Been thinking maybe deep fried stems might be interesting and might have to give it a try some day.
After all they seem to deep fry anything at State and County fairs.

Anybody have any suggestion's or should I keep sending them to the compost pile or freezer for stock at a later date?

This question came to mind as I prepped broccoli for tonight's dinner.

I hate to waste anything that has a use I don't know about.

Yes the compost pile isn't a waste as it is used to grow more later but if I can cook it and enjoy it it's much more fun.
Slice the stems and cook with the florets. Waste not want not. I like them raw in salads too.

Tags
broccoli, recipe

Broccoli Stems and Leaves. I love the floret's in many different ways. :yum: But haven't really found a good use for the stems and leaves except to add them to stock. :neutral: Been thinking maybe deep fried stems might be interesting and might have to give it a try some day. After all they seem to deep fry anything at State and County fairs. :wink: Anybody have any suggestion's or should I keep sending them to the compost pile or freezer for stock at a later date? :huh: This question came to mind as I prepped broccoli for tonight's dinner. :chef: I hate to waste anything that has a use I don't know about. :mad: Yes the compost pile isn't a waste as it is used to grow more later but if I can cook it and enjoy it it's much more fun. :bounce: 3 stars 1 reviews