"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-20-2004, 03:58 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Buckytom
We're in the same sitaution as you.... the UK is so close to southern Europe (and beyond) - in real terms.... indeed, those 'foreign' countries are nearer than parts of the USA are to NY.... - so we have 'fresh' veg, in season, from lots of different places!

However, I am discerning in what I buy. We get LOTS and LOTS of veg from Spain - including the most marvellous looking tomatoes... all with absolutely zero taste! Look good, but tasteless.... Ditto 'new' potatoes from Israel.... Love the look of them and the type (Nicola) but they go mushy when boiled or steamed.... yet Nicola potatoes from Cyprus or Greece are great...

In winter in the UK, it is mostly root vegetables and brassicas that are available.... hence the tradition of good hearty stews and casseroles; that's all that was available in times gone by! But the channel tunnel means that if you live in London or other areas of the SE of England, you could go to Calais for lunch and to stock up on booze and cheeses etc and be home by 7.00 pm.... (I've done it!) Scotland is too far for such adventures!

Old 12-20-2004, 04:08 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

ishbel, it's funny how us yanks think of europe. we are so used to living in a fairly large country, that we forget that europe's nations are remarkably close together. (i hope someday to eat my way, er, travel across western europe)
friends in dublin and belfast often go to scotland and france and spain on holiday, just as easily as i would go to florida, or colorado, or california.

i was wondering, has scotland gone on to the euro, or do you use sterling? when i travelled in northern ireland, i kept euros in one pocket, and british sterling in the other. i got tired of looking to see if the queen was on my bills and coins...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:58 AM   #23
Executive Chef

We are in the EU, but decided to stay out of the Euro (for the present, and please God, forever!!!). We use Sterling, but have our own Scottish banknotes - but both English and Scots banknotes are equally as accepted in Scotland.

Yes, we are so lucky in Europe. All those cuisines (genuine.... not 'transplanted'!!!) are available to us all with only a couple of hours travelling!

I go to Italy and France at least twice each year - more if I can manage to spare the time. I bring back lots and lots of foodstuffs! I love the French and Italian markets. Last year we holidayed in France (2 times), Italy (Florence), Greek island (Corfu), as well as a week's break in the Highlands of Scotland and a week in Cornwall. The only reason we were able to take so many breaks was that we had both accrued a lot of annual leave which, if we didn't take it, we would lose it..... But most years we both get 5-6 weeks leave anyway.... I think that's a lot more generous than most US companies give employees?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:48 PM   #24
Certified Executive Chef

Re: Brussel Sprouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I was thinking about maybe making some of these as one of the sides for the holiday. I don't care for them but other family members do. Can you please share your recipe on how to prepare these and any other tips regarding them. Thanks :)
SizzlininIN, I fix brussel sprouts with baby carrots and make a dijon, roasted whole mustard seed and butter sauce and toss them just before serving. I made these for thanksgiving and someone there who hated brussel sprouts and took a 'polite' small amount said she now love brussel sprouts because of the sauce.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:32 AM   #25
Head Chef

I just tried the brussel sprout with mustard recipe. It was nothing like the restaurant dish I tried. :( It still tasted like brussel sprouts. (I know, it's supposed to...but the restaurant dish was AWESOME) I think when I make this dish for xmas, I might try to dish throw stuff together.

I want the b. sprouts to take on the flavor of whatever sauce it's in. So I'm not sure if steaming it and tossing it in sauce is my answer. I thought maybe braise it instead of steaming? Not sure, but think this might be better to get the flavor of the sauce to go all the way through the b. sprouts.

I think I will take the mustard sauce, use it as a base and just start tossing stuff in...we'll see, hopefully it'll be at least edible!
Old 12-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #26
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
I just tried the brussel sprout with mustard recipe. It was nothing like the restaurant dish I tried. :( It still tasted like brussel sprouts. (I know, it's supposed to...but the restaurant dish was AWESOME) I think when I make this dish for xmas, I might try to dish throw stuff together.

I want the b. sprouts to take on the flavor of whatever sauce it's in. So I'm not sure if steaming it and tossing it in sauce is my answer. I thought maybe braise it instead of steaming? Not sure, but think this might be better to get the flavor of the sauce to go all the way through the b. sprouts.

I think I will take the mustard sauce, use it as a base and just start tossing stuff in...we'll see, hopefully it'll be at least edible!
Try cutting the sprouts in half, then more sauce will penetrate between the leaves.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:29 AM   #27
Head Chef

Yes, this is what I did the first time around. I had the same thoughts you did. I'll report back how my 2nd try goes. :)
Old 12-25-2004, 02:52 AM   #28
Head Chef

I just tried my own throw together version of b. sprouts.

Here's a loose idea of what I did

1 lb b. sprouts (stems cut off and cut in half)
2 sprigs fresh tarragon cut into small slivers
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
1/2 c c. broth
juice of 1/2 orange
couple splashs of vinegar (I used tarragon vinegar)
3 spoons sweet hot mustard
salt/white pepper to taste

Mix fresh tarragon, broth, OJ, vinegar & hot mustard in a bowl. Add salt/pepper to taste. heat pan with oil and tossed in the garlic. Then added the b. sprouts and sauteed for a minute or so. Add liquid and let sprouts simmer in pot until cooked to your liking.

I think using the different kind of mustard helped a lot this time. It didn't have as harsh of a taste as regular mustard does.

Hope someone tries this and lets me know how they like it and how I can improve it. :)
Old 12-25-2004, 07:48 AM   #29
Head Chef

I like brussel sprouts, at least in moderation. My favorite way to have em is probably steamed, then sprinkled with black pepper, a tad of grated parm & smothered with B├ęchamel Sauce. Mmmm! :)

There's a bunch of recipes here though that I wanna try.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:36 AM   #30
Master Chef

try using them instead of green beans in green beann casserole, and try using Hanover frozen Petite ones. i hate the bitter things and even i'll eat hanover ones.

Tags
None