Brussel Sprouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I was thinking about maybe making some of these as one of the sides for the holiday. I don't care for them but other family members do. Can you please share your recipe on how to prepare these and any other tips regarding them. Thanks :)

Here is a recipe from Ina Garten.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer them to a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp outside and tender inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the Brussels sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt (I like these salty like French fries) and serve hot.

Here's a good one:

BRUSSELS SPROUTS IN GARLIC BUTTER

15 (fresh) Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed with the flat of a knife
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
salt and pepper

1. Melt butter and olive oil in a medium skillet (over medium-high heat) until butter is foamy.
2. Reduce heat to medium, add smashed garlic and cook until lightly browned.
3. Remove garlic and discard.
4. Add sprouts cut side down, cover, and cook without stirring on medium-low heat 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
5. The cut side of the sprouts should get nice and browned, with a nutty, buttery flavor enhanced by garlic.
6. Top with freshly grated parmesan and salt & pepper to taste.

2-4 servings

from Joy of Cooking

Thanks so much......they sound yummy except for the sprouts :LOL: (I don't like them) but I think the ingred. will go well together and the family will like them.

Brussels sprouts

I remember my mother making creamed Brussels sprouts. I think she added sour cream. Sometimes I put lemon juice with them after I steam them, sometimes I put lemon juice and margarine on them after steaming. They're also good with lemon juice and mustard and honey. Just don't overcook them.

My favorite!

Drunken Brussel Sprouts
2 lb Brussel sprouts
8 slices of Bacon
2 Onions, small, sliced thin
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 ts Sugar
1/2 c Ale, dark
Salt and pepper to taste

1.Trim brussel sprouts of limp leaves, then cut an 'X' in the base of each stalk.
2.Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a boil, add sprouts and bring back to a boil. Boil 1 minute, then immerse sprouts in an ice bath to stop cooking. Cut sprouts in half.
3.In a skillet, saute bacon 3 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and sugar and continue sauting until bacon is crisp and onions/garlic are tender.
4.Add sprouts and saute until warmed through. Pour in beer and bring to a boil. Simmer until sprouts are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Hi, I know this is a long shot, but the last time I was at a restuarant, they had a brussel sprout dish that had some sort of mustard flavoring. I don't know how they cooked it, but MAN, was it good. The b. sprouts were cooked through so they were reallysoft and didn't have that bitter taste to them. And the flavor was AWESOME! Any ideas???? Thanks :D

htc said:
they had a brussel sprout dish that had some sort of mustard flavoring. ...Any ideas???? Thanks :D

Brussels Sprouts With Mustard Sauce

Ingredients:
1 lb. brussels sprouts
2 tsp. butter
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Rinse fresh brussels sprouts and trim stems.
Cut an X about 1/4-inch deep in the base of each sprout.
Steam the sprouts in a steamer set over boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes, or until just tender.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
Stir in lemon juice and mustard when butter has just melted.
Place sprouts on a serving platter and toss with butter and lemon mixture.
Serves four.

*Frozen brussels sprouts can be substituted for fresh.
Simply prepare sprouts according to box directions and pick up the recipe at step 4.

*Cauliflower, asparagus and broccoli can be substituted for brussels sprouts.

Good Luck!

Brussel Sprounts in celery sauce

Brussel sprouts in celery sauce

1 lb. brussel sprouts, washed and trimmed
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
3 T. butter
3 T. all-puropse flour
1 cup milk
celery salt and pepper to taste

Cook sprouts in boiling salted water until tender. Drain. Cook celery in salted water until tender; drain and reserve 1/2 cup cerery water. Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add flour; mix celery water with milk. Stir into flour mixture; heat until sauce is thickened. Season with celery salt and pepper. Add celery; pour over hot brussel sprouts.

brussel sprouts that are bitter are bad brussel sprouts. the place you ate them should be ashamed. they are very easy to grow. they grow on a big stalk of a plant, and emerge at the "elbow" of where each branch comes out of the stalk. i think of them as tiny green cabbages. i steam mine until tender, then bathe them in butter and salt.

I like steamed brussel sprouts, too! - I only use smaller, tender ones, though. The bigger ones I steam, then mash and add to creamed, mashed potatoes.

I like to fry some pancetta, cut into small chunks, until crispy and then add it to the steamed sprouts.

I've only had b. sprouts 2xs, once it was at home. My brother made it for a holiday dinner and used a magazine recipe (either Bon Apetite or Gourmet) and then at the resturant the other day. Brother's was bitter and yucky, the rest. was really really goood

So if B. sprouts are bitter, does that mean they are not fresh? So if I use frozen b. sprouts for a recipe, it should not taste bitter? since they are usually picked/frozen at peak freshness?

I've never eaten a frozen vegetable that I've liked - well except for petit pois!

Brussel sprouts shouldn't be bitter. If picked young and either steamed or boiled soon after picking, they are kind of mid-way between spinach and spring greens (do you have 'spring greens' in the USA?)

Brussel sprouts are evil, having said that they are traditional here at Christmas so I cook them, and eat them, and no complain! With the addition of chestnuts and plenty of butter they aren't too bad I suppose. I steam them for about 7 - 10 minutes and then toss them in butter with the prepared chestnuts. I buy them organically from our local farmers market.

I always found them bitter when I was a kid, but I think that's because my dad boiled them for what seemed like weeks before we ate them, but was probably like an hour, not good for any veggie.

kyles said:
Brussel sprouts are evil, having said that they are traditional here at Christmas so I cook them, and eat them, and no complain! With the addition of chestnuts and plenty of butter they aren't too bad I suppose. I steam them for about 7 - 10 minutes and then toss them in butter with the prepared chestnuts. I buy them organically from our local farmers market.

I always found them bitter when I was a kid, but I think that's because my dad boiled them for what seemed like weeks before we ate them, but was probably like an hour, not good for any veggie.

So glad to see that we are 'educating' you, Kyles 8) I WISH I liked chestnuts - the only way I like them is roasted.... Buying them from street stalls in London was always a winter treat... :D

Boiled for an HOUR? No wonder you didn't like them!

ishbel, we love chestnuts so much here in the us that we stand in our open doorways bragging about them... :D

I didn't like brussels sprouts when I was first introduced to them, but now love them. Unlike others, I think freezing is the best thing to happen to vegetables in our life time. I do buy the best and smallest, though (of any veg). It's a great "concept" to only eat veggies fresh and locally in season, which you hear all the time on TV. I still haven't figured out what veggies are fresh and in season in NYC (where most cooking shows originate) in February, because the rest of us who live with four seasons get fresh only from somewhere considerably south, shipped in. There are two kinds of people who only eat fresh in season ... those who live in warm year round climates, and those who suffer malnutrition and constipation because fresh veggies and winter are not compatible.

That said, I like to steam brussels sprouts if they're fresh, or nuke them if frozen, until warm. Then I split them in half, and put a bit of butter in the bottom of a frying pan, and place them in the melted butter cut side down. I gently cook them in the butter for just a minute or two, then toss with a tablespoon of frozen orange juice concentrate. A big hit. Of course you can use regular OJ and cook it down (when I lived in FL and HI I did sometimes do that because I was getting oranges for free) with a bit of sugar. But the concentrate works better!

claire, nyc has 3 of the world's greatest markets for fresh produce and meats/fish. the fulton fish market, and the hunt's point market (for fresh produce), and the meat markets on the west side known as the gansevoort markets. if anything is in season anywhere in the usa, it is trucked in on route 80 or up I95. foodstuffs from all over the world are flown, shipped or trucked in fresh everyday.
you can't beat locally, and especially organically grown produce during the growing seasons from new jersey, pennsylvania, and upstate new york/new england, but we are lucky to be a port city and get fresh produce all year 'round from all 'round the world.

Back
Top Bottom