Brussels Sprouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

les

Sous Chef
How do you like to cook Brussels Sprouts?
I shread them then stir fry with crisped pancetta or bacon bits, & add some toasted almonds at the end.:)

I slice then in half (or leave em whole if small), toss with some olive oil and course salt and roast with high heat (500 degrees) until browned. Delish!

I trim the stem, cut them in half, steam them, then pour melted garlic butter over them. I'm the only one in the house that eats them, so I make them like I like!

Lately I've been roasting them. Marinate first in olive oil, s& p, and dried herbes de Provence. They come out amazing! You can add other veggies as well, like carrots, cauliflower, potato chunks.... completely yummy. Even BS haters like them. :)

Sautee with butter, salt and pepper until cooked, then stir in a little honey and toated pine nuts.

Also roasted too along with parsnip, carrots, cauliflower...

I also roast them with olive oil, salt & pepper, but they are also good steamed and then tossed with Italian dressing and a little parmesan cheese doesnt hurt either! = )

I normally blanch them until "just" tender, & then finish their cooking by braising in an obscene amount of butter.

Quicksilver - if you "can't get past the smell", then you've never enjoyed truly fresh Brussels Sprouts. Only those way past their prime have any sort of odor.

I love them and usually steam them but rosting sounds interesting, must try them soon..

There was a trick....

...I saw once. They cut an X in the bottom of them before cooking. Something to do with absorbing the liquid. I can't remember.

The "X" cut into the base of the sprout is to help it cook more evenly as, unless you're dealing with little tiny baby ones, the base end can be thicker/tougher than the tip.

I just boil them for a few minutes. Next time I make them though, I'll have to try some of your ways!

I love them sliced, sautèed with garlic in a little olive oil and finished off in the oven with a bit of heavy cream. Another way is to sautè them and at the end give them a good squeeze of lemon and orange.....delicious.:)

I like to throw them in along with the carrots and potatoes when I cook a roast...or blanch and saute. I haven't tried roasting them yet.

Back
Top Bottom