Brussels sprouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, I was brought up in a household typical of '50s America but my parents branched out inn the '60s and '70s and I followed along. I'm sure I've gone much further than them now, but the encouragement in my later years helped.

TL, well if liver is dry then it was not properly cooked. Nothing should be dry when served. Dry is a negative quality, to be avoided.

Damn it all, I'm getting a craving for liver!

TL, well if liver is dry then it was not properly cooked. Nothing should be dry when served. Dry is a negative quality, to be avoided.

Damn it all, I'm getting a craving for liver!

Yup, dry, not properly cooked. That was my point. I thought I disliked liver, when in fact I disliked it the way my mum and Danes of that era cooked it. It was just chance that I decided to taste that bit of liver on my plate. I really was expecting something unpleasant.

It's dinner time here on the left coast and I'm just working on my first glass of Chardonnay. :) Dinner is almost ready to program the microwave. ;)

I think the OP didn't quite intend to be controversial in suggesting that vegetable dislike is caused by improper upbringing. I think that quite often parents can over-encourage eating vegetables, or under-encourage the same thing. This is the area of unintended consequences. Sometimes you can over-do it, sometimes the opposite. I hope most parents will encourage an attitude of being open to new choices. That's what I got from my parents. Explore.

My own parents encouraged me to eat vegetables, made me eat what was on my plate, but weren't Nazis about it. I didn't hate vegetables but I didn't start liking them until my 30s. Now I crave them.

merely stating an opinion as everyone else ;) and fair enough I can see the name suggests otherwise but I rarely drink wine (or anything for that matter)

Last edited by a moderator:
I want everyone to hate 'em, so maybe they won't cost so much. They're like $3.99/lb right now!

That reminds me of when I liked chicken livers while almost nobody else did. I'd get 'em for maybe 29 cents a pound. Now they've been "discovered" and are expensive like everything else.

That reminds me of when I liked chicken livers while almost nobody else did. I'd get 'em for maybe 29 cents a pound. Now they've been "discovered" and are expensive like everything else.

This page (Scroll down), shows that food prices have increased to 20 times the average costs in 1960.

They almsot GAVE dried beans away in 1960. Now what used to be a huge 20 pound sack costs the same as one pound of them now.

When will producers figgure out that inflation doesn't work?

1. Increase food costs to meet cost of living increase.
2. Workers demand higher wages to compensate for food cost increase.
3. Repeat step one and two forever.

Last edited:
I can't bear to think about it and I'm sorry I brought it up. One reason I like cooking is because restaurant prices have gone up just as much, but it's still a damned lot cheaper to fix your own. I think most of us cooking enthusiasts can cook just as good as most of the restaurants we frequent. I like restaurants mainly as exploration to discover new recipes to cook myself at home.

And the gummint claims there's virtually no inflation. Yeah. Right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom