"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Brussels sprouts

I was just looking into past posts on Brussels sprouts and along with other vegetables a lot people must not have been raised right. The general sentiment is hate the vegetable. Very strange! They need to taste it raw and come up with their own ideas. Some are good raw, some are not, but doing that will give them some ideas about what to do with the vegetable. The recipes I see too often are overly complex and not suited to the average newbie. Me? I really like the simple approach. Some things, simply steam and butter. Others like something a little more tangy, but this hate the vegetable thing must stop! Perhaps mothers and restaurant owners need to stop over cooking the vegetables, oh, and maybe stop buying the cheapest brand. Mutter, mutter, mutter, etc.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

mutter, mutter, mutter is right...

Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeheran View Post
I was just looking into past posts on Brussels sprouts and along with other vegetables a lot people must not have been raised right. The general sentiment is hate the vegetable. Very strange! They need to taste it raw and come up with their own ideas. Some are good raw, some are not, but doing that will give them some ideas about what to do with the vegetable. The recipes I see too often are overly complex and not suited to the average newbie. Me? I really like the simple approach. Some things, simply steam and butter. Others like something a little more tangy, but this hate the vegetable thing must stop! Perhaps mothers and restaurant owners need to stop over cooking the vegetables, oh, and maybe stop buying the cheapest brand. Mutter, mutter, mutter, etc.
What do you mean by "not raised right"?

Seems to me that food preferences are our right, not to be dictated by you or anyone else.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I would take those lovely brussels sprouts on the stalk, form them into a circle, and replace the evergreen wreath on my front door. I'm kinda crafty.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I don't see why "this hate the vegetable thing" should stop. Many people have strong food likes and dislikes. I think "hate" is too strong a word but often that's the one people use. And as far as I've seen, Brussels sprouts are more often disliked than liked.

Myself? I love all kinds of Brassica, including Brussels sprouts. (I dislike frozen ones.) I like to steam fresh Brussels sprouts and serve with butter.

My main objection to other peoples' food dislikes is that it makes it difficult for me when I like the food and want to serve company who doesn't like. It makes it a PITA to plan meals sometimes. There's nothing to be gained by feeding people things they don't like.

Get over people not liking Brussels sprouts. I'm pretty sure there's more of them than of us.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Master Chef

I love to chime in on this one. Right now I'm micro-thawing some Brussels sprouts. I'll trim and halve, then toss in the butter I pan-sear some flat-iron steaks in, and we'll be in business.

I don't remember ever eating Brussels sprouts as a kid. When my husband told me it was his favorite veg, I worked at it. Since I started cooking in Florida, I actually was dealing with my winter crop from my garden. What is great? First very lightly steam. Very lightly. If your green veg is gray ... well, not my thing. THen slice in half. A dab of butter in the skillet, put the Brussels sprouts in cut side down. Then add a dab of orange juice. For this purpose, concentrate actually works better, but fresh squeezed or bottled in the fridge will work. Only a bit. Then a dab of local honey. Toss. Yumm.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeheran View Post
I was just looking into past posts on Brussels sprouts and along with other vegetables a lot people must not have been raised right...
This is absolutely a wrong statement. Suggesting it has to do a failure of one's parents is insulting.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is absolutely a wrong statement. Suggesting it has to do a failure of one's parents is insulting.
+1
Old 01-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

The things I don't like have to do with texture or smell. I have a super-sensitve sense of smell. I also read that those who find even the smell of bananas off putting have inherited that (in other words, it is genetic). I HATE bananas--the smell makes me, well, never mind. I have two friends who have the same problem with bananas. I ate bananas until the age of 20-21 when the smell became an issue for me.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
What do you mean by "not raised right"?

Seems to me that food preferences are our right, not to be dictated by you or anyone else.
That was kinda my thoughts. mutter, mutter, mutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I would take those lovely brussels sprouts on the stalk, form them into a circle, and replace the evergreen wreath on my front door. I'm kinda crafty.
ooh, with some shellacked pine cones?

Don't hate on the sprouts!

BTW, Andy, cauliflower was on sale today and I thought of you when I bought a head

Tags
None