"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
Wine Guy

Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites. I have two methods that seem to work best for me. Most of the time I just halve them and toss with a little olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper, and then roast them in a hot oven until they are browned and caramelized.

The other way I make them is a little fancier, and makes a good side dish for holidays:
  • Start with a pound of sprouts, halved.
  • Fry up 3 or 4 slices of bacon in a pan and remove. Pour off all but a tablespoon of the remaining fat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
  • Add the sprouts and brown until nicely caramelized and tender.
  • Add 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and a handful of dried cranberries (aka "craisins") to the pan.
  • Crumble the bacon you fried earlier, and add back to the pan.
  • Toss with a couple tablespoons of your favorite vinaigrette or commercial Italian salad dressing. Season to taste and serve warm.
  • Try not to eat the whole thing.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites. I have two methods that seem to work best for me. Most of the time I just halve them and toss with a little olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper, and then roast them in a hot oven until they are browned and caramelized.

The other way I make them is a little fancier, and makes a good side dish for holidays:
  • Start with a pound of sprouts, halved.
  • Fry up 3 or 4 slices of bacon in a pan and remove. Pour off all but a tablespoon of the remaining fat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
  • Add the sprouts and brown until nicely caramelized and tender.
  • Add 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and a handful of dried cranberries (aka "craisins") to the pan.
  • Crumble the bacon you fried earlier, and add back to the pan.
  • Toss with a couple tablespoons of your favorite vinaigrette or commercial Italian salad dressing. Season to taste and serve warm.
  • Try not to eat the whole thing.
I can't eat Brussels sprouts because of the high fiber, but I think this method would work great with green beans, too. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I can't eat Brussels sprouts because of the high fiber, but I think this method would work great with green beans, too. Thanks!
What a good idea! Stirling isn't willing to eat, or even smell, Brussels sprouts. He isn't fond of green beans (I am), but will eat them. I'm going to have to give this a try.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #24
Master Chef

I like the walnuts & dried cranberry idea Steve!

Himself likes them naked (well, with a bit of butter). I prefer their original taste, um, "enhanced". We both love them roasted, so we have that as an option. If I want to hide their true taste, this is how I prepare them:

Blanche the halved sprouts, drain, and set aside. While cooking the sprouts saute bacon pieces, removed from pan and set aside. To bacon drippings add sliced mushrooms and saute until browned. Add the Brussels sprouts, bacon bits, a generous dose of garlic powder, and a palmful of tarragon crumbled to near dust. Stir to mix and serve. These are even better the next day, so I'll be making them as a side dish to take to my SILs for Thanksgiving, making it on Wednesday and running it up to her home so it can be popped into the oven to reheat.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
Master Chef

We love them. All I do is clean, cut in half, place in micro safe bowl. Cover (no water added) and steam on high till tender. Maybe 6 minutes add butter, salt and pepper YUM!!

Sometimes we have Brussels sprouts instead of cabbage with corned beef.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Brussel sprout tips: Because of the natural chemicals in the sprouts (which will smell like sulfur) if over cooked, you loose the sweetness. The best way I have found to prep them is to trim, then cut the in half. Soak them in cold water to leach out the acids. Don't over cook! Seven minutes and under for best flavor & sweetness. You can boil or steam. I like to steam them until done then, add maple syrup and saute till syrup is just warm. Also would like to add: smaller is sweeter.
I agree with all of this except the soaking. Soaking leaches out the vitamins as well.

Mostly what ruins a good BS is over boiling in gallons of water.

Not entirely sure about the maple syrup but each to his own. They team well with nuts - walnuts, almonds or chestnut in particular - and garlic and butter.

Incidentally, it is essential to defy your mother and NEVER cut the cross in the bottom if boiling - it lets the water into the insides of the sprouts and that makes them soggy.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
We love them. All I do is clean, cut in half, place in micro safe bowl. Cover (no water added) and steam on high till tender. Maybe 6 minutes add butter, salt and pepper YUM!!

Sometimes we have Brussels sprouts instead of cabbage with corned beef.
Hurrah! Another member of the DC chapter of the SOBS (Save Our Brussels Society)
Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My favirte way to prepare them is to make a white sauce using bisquick instead of flour, and evaporated milk. Simmer a few minutes and YUM.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Here's a recipe I'm going to try for Christmas.

Beyond Compare Brussels Sprouts

Prep time 10 min Cook time 40 min
Serves 8

Ingredients:

Cooking Spray
8 1/2 oz Corn Muffin Mix
1C frozen corn, thawed
8 slices bacon
3 1/2 lb brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1/4 C chicken stock (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Coat a square baking dish with cooking spray. Prepare corn muffin batter according to pkg instructions. Stir thawed corn into batter. Bake for 15 min until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.

Cook bacon until crisp. Reserve the bacon drippings. Crumble bacon once cool.

Place brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and toss with bacon drippings, salt pepper and nutmeg. Roast for 15-20 min.

Break corn muffins into bite-size pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 min, stirring occasionally until golden brown and crispy.

Meanwhile, add onion to pan and cook over medium-high heat until caramelized.

Just before serving, toss brussels sprouts with 1/4 of the crumbled bacon, caramelized onions and corn muffin crumbs. If desired, use chicken stock to moisten mixture. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with remaining crumbled bacon.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
Head Chef

Thanks to everyone for their way of cooking Brussels Sprouts. I love them; a close friend doesn't. I'm trying different ways to cook them.

Tags
None