Brussels Sprouts My Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've always thought I should eat certain veggies at least occasionally for my body's sake.

Brussels Sprouts are one of the ones I made a special attempt to make palatable.

I succeeded by cutting them in half, sauteing in garlic butter, and making a "white sauce" using Bisquick instead of flour and evaporated milk instead of regular milk. It worked!

This time I'm doing the same, but also adding a half jar of Alfredo sauce I need to use up. I think this sounds pretty good. What do you BS lovers (and haters) think?

Sounds good to me!

I would take it a step further and put it into a casserole top it with breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs and bake it until it was all bubbly, some diced ham or smoked sausage coins tossed in would also be nice!

I love Brussels sprouts!

I have a jar of roasted garlic and chile flakes that I use with brussels sprouts. I put them in the microwave (if already blanched) or do a quick boil then drain, toss with butter and garlic/chile flakes. DELICIOUS

Brussel sprout tips: Because of the natural chemicals in the sprouts (which will smell like sulfur) if over cooked, you loose the sweetness. The best way I have found to prep them is to trim, then cut the in half. Soak them in cold water to leach out the acids. Don't over cook! Seven minutes and under for best flavor & sweetness. You can boil or steam. I like to steam them until done then, add maple syrup and saute till syrup is just warm. Also would like to add: smaller is sweeter.

Bacon and balsamic.:yum: A few other things go in as well, but those two are the magic.

They look like shrunken heads. OFF MY LIST. Ok...Mrs 40 makes them sometimes but if you put enough butter and sugar the BS doesn't interfere with the taste of the sugar at all.

Trim, cut in half, toss with evoo and S&P, roast at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.

Oooooh! Such yummy ideas!

I like the casserole idea, Aunt Bea! I've got fried onions and real bacon bits, as well as kielbasa. I think you've made a sale. I'll let everyone know the results.

I really like the idea of Balsamic vinegar too. I'm only using half the package, so I want to try that too next time. Thanks for the idea, Craig!

These are frozen, S&P, but I really like the soaking idea. My original thought for the Bisquick sauce, was to get rid of the bitterness. I never thought about soaking. Good idea!

Alix, I'd love to find any kind of roasted garlic. Where in the store can I find them??? I do have a bunch of fresh garlic I need to use up. I've been trying the boiling method which does work. Thanks for reminding me I need to do them, but I'd really like to be able to buy some already to use!

Last edited:
Oooooh! Such yummy ideas!

I like the casserole idea, Aunt Bea! I've got fried onions and real bacon bits, as well as kielbasa. I think you've made a sale. I'll let everyone know the results.

I really like the idea of Balsamic vinegar too. I'm only using half the package, so I want to try that too next time. Thanks for the idea, Craig!

These are frozen, S&P, but I really like the soaking idea. My original thought for the Bisquick sauce, was to get rid of the bitterness. I never thought about soaking. Good idea!

Alix, I'd love to find any kind of roasted garlic. Where in the store can I find them??? I do have a bunch of fresh garlic I need to use up. I've been trying the boiling method which does work. Thanks for reminding me I need to do them, but I'd really like to be able to buy some already to use!

You can thank Giada, its her recipe.;)

Ok, I may an oddity. The few times I didn't like brussels sprouts was when too much attention was given them. For me a little oil, salt and pepper and roast. Makes me happy every time, although I can definitely see balsamic working well.

I've tried a sauce or two, but I always go back to:
Halve them. Saute cut side down in EVOO, butter, salt and garlic. When they have caramelized; flip, add a little chicken broth, turn the heat down and put a lid on it. Steam until tender, 10 minutes or so.

Gee, I'm glad I started this topic! Great ideas from great minds! Keep it up! People will be lining up to try them.

Pac, I'm guessing you are using fresh BS?

Yes, fresh. I don't eat them often enough to buy frozen, so I'll buy a small amount in the produce aisle and have them in two or three meals. Frozen would end up being a bag of frost.

I've tried a sauce or two, but I always go back to:
Halve them. Saute cut side down in EVOO, butter, salt and garlic. When they have caramelized; flip, add a little chicken broth, turn the heat down and put a lid on it. Steam until tender, 10 minutes or so.
Your method sounds yummy.

I usually just cut an x in the base and steam them, then serve with butter. I don't want to hide the flavour of the sprouts.

I usually just cut an x in the base and steam them, then serve with butter. I don't want to hide the flavour of the sprouts.

oh that's right, I trim a sliver off the bottom, also. I forgot that part until you mentioned the X.
I'm pretty much into plain veggies or with little done to them, too. I can't even remember the last time I made cheese sauce for broccoli or cauliflower.

I find a good way to use leftover brussel sprouts is cut in halves if not done already, marinate them in bottled Italian dressing ( or your own herbed vinaigrette) Serve cold or room temp like pickles.

I'm with you. I love them, just with butter and salt. But I like them overcooked, to the point that they start to fall apart. Even if I'm making roasted vegetables, I will boil the BS a little before roasting them, to make sure they are soft enough for me.

They look like shrunken heads. OFF MY LIST. Ok...Mrs 40 makes them sometimes but if you put enough butter and sugar the BS doesn't interfere with the taste of the sugar at all.

+1. We must use the same recipe, except I leave out the BS. I find they do affect the taste of the sugar for me...

Brussels Sprouts are wonderful.

If you like them you do but if you don't then you don't.

Different stokes for different folks.

I like them no matter how they are prepared.

But I believe for those who tend to dislike them the best way to prepare them is to roast them with a sauce that helps the medicine go down.

Butter, a little garlic, and even Anchovies can help in the sauce.

Experiment and enjoy.

You'll find a way if you want to enjoy them.

Can not stand them steamed or boiled or with any kind of sauce.

But I do love them this way:

Cut in half, put cut side down in a skillet that has hot browned butter in it. Drop the heat to med and cook, covered, until caramelized on the cut side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dig in !

Alternately you can use bacon drippings rather than butter. Then sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.

I wonder if they would be yummy done on the bbq grill?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom