"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Buttered radishes

I'm reposting this because if you have any sweet radishes growing, dig them up wash, slice, dip in a little salt and put on a piece of cold butter.Pop this in your mouth and enjoy. emmmmm
kadesma

__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Raw radishes served with sweet butter & coarse, kosher, or sea salt is a classic French bistro dish. In fact, I LOVED it years ago when it was impossible not to find an American restaurant that didn't put a complimentary "relish tray" (olives, celery, carrot sticks, & radishes) on every table. Everyone thought I was weird to be putting salt & butter on radishes, but I didn't care - the crisp spicy radishes, creamy softened butter, & dash of salt was a perfect combination.

While pretty much any radish will do, I particularly like the bi-colored "French Breakfast" variety for this treatment.
__________________

__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,834
I've never eaten cooked radishes, but I love them raw - with bread and butter or just in a sandwich or a salad, or by themselves. I went thru a time when my daughter was a tiny baby that all I would eat was bread and butter and radishes. Dh thought I had flipped my lid, but I believe now it was due to a light case of post partem depression. I lost all of my baby weight and then some. The doctor told me to start eating well rounded meals and I soon got over it.
__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Raw radishes served with sweet butter & coarse, kosher, or sea salt is a classic French bistro dish. In fact, I LOVED it years ago when it was impossible not to find an American restaurant that didn't put a complimentary "relish tray" (olives, celery, carrot sticks, & radishes) on every table. Everyone thought I was weird to be putting salt & butter on radishes, but I didn't care - the crisp spicy radishes, creamy softened butter, & dash of salt was a perfect combination.

While pretty much any radish will do, I particularly like the bi-colored "French Breakfast" variety for this treatment.
That makes two of us Breezy, I love them and when I get some other than grocery store radishes, So my s-i-l and I both planted sone, I put in the Easter radish pink and white colored and he put in another type and the name escpes me but there both wonerful. I can't let them sit for very long. My grand mother was from France and she use to grow them and that's where I learned to enjoy them.I've gotten the You aren't going to eat that are you, there just for decoration. I, just pop them in my mouth and crunch away . Nothing better.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
I've never eaten cooked radishes, but I love them raw - with bread and butter or just in a sandwich or a salad, or by themselves. I went thru a time when my daughter was a tiny baby that all I would eat was bread and butter and radishes. Dh thought I had flipped my lid, but I believe now it was due to a light case of post partem depression. I lost all of my baby weight and then some. The doctor told me to start eating well rounded meals and I soon got over it.
Hi licia, I've never eaten cooked radishes either, but I bet they would be good.I love making sandwiches with then, I usually don't put them in salad my gang will sit there and pick them out and that dirves me nuts.When we crave something I believe there is a reason for it, It looks like you diet of radishes made things better for you and that's what counts.And many of us have a bout of post partem depression, if got better after then that is wonderful.Thanks for sharing that with us, It gives a chance to shre things we have had happen.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Mr. Greenjeans
 
bigdaddy3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,741
Y'all got me started on radishes now!!
__________________
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Y'all got me started on radishes now!!
Nummy aren't they? You are eating them with butter?
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
If you've never sauteed them in butter, and S&P, you must try... It's a real treat, just don't cook them to death...
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
If you've never sauteed them in butter, and S&P, you must try... It's a real treat, just don't cook them to death...
I've heard they are delicious like this. I promise I won't kill them with kindness. My task will be to get them to a saute pan
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I've heard they are delicious like this. I promise I won't kill them with kindness. My task will be to get them to a saute pan
kades
If anybody can get them into the saute pan, without hurting them, it's you Kades....
__________________

__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.