Butternut Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me thinks I'll give this a go, GB. :chef:

Suggestions of oil? I typically use the virgin, not extra virgin or what have you. As for salt, I recently purchased a sea salt grinder. I think it does add flavor in comparison to standard table salt.

Also, you being from my home land wins points for you too! :chef:

(born in Framingham, grew up in North Easton, brief residence in Hopkinton. Mom & Dad have a cottage in Wareham, Mom's folks live in Falmouth, and relatives in Taunton, Middleboro, Norwood as well as NH & ME.)

Any type of oil you have would work fine. I use extra virgin because I love the flavor, but the squash flavor can work well on it's own too so a neutral flavored oil like veggi, corn, safflower, or just about any other kind will work.

For salt, I use kosher, but again just about any kind will work here.

OK talk about a small world. I was born in NJ, but raised in...FRAMINGHAM :) We lived on the North side right by Hemenway Elementary School. I went to camp for 10 years in Middleboro.

I usually roast my butternut whole then scoop out the flesh and mix it with butter and brown sugar salt and pepper. You can also add in roasted garlic.

The benefit of roasting it whole is that you don't have to peel it first. The skin comes off easily when its cooked.

BigDog said:
Mrs Big Dog and I are hosting Christmas dinner at our place, and making turkey. I want to make squash, but am concerned about being able to do so. Why? Because there is 1 oven available, of which will be occupied by the bird at 325 degrees or so.

How else can butternut be cooked?

How big is this bird? :LOL: I'm guessing, if there's no room in the oven with the turkey, you might be preparing other dishes at the same time?

You could nuke it (like Sizz mentioned), broil it, slow cook it (if you have a slow cooker), or do a make ahead casserole dish and reheat it. I usually like it very simply made (if there are bunch of other dishes), i.e. roasted or broiled with butter, s&p and mashed like taters. You could sprinkle with some Parmesan.

If you have a little room in the oven, this looks very good.

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00168_rec04.asp

or this one:

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/butternut-stuf-apraisnut.html

A veggie side for the turkey dinner (I posted this a while back):

Butternut Squash Flans

3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
1/2 cup evaporated skimmed milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
1 egg white
Vegetable cooking spray
Ground nutmeg (optional)
Watercress sprigs (optional)

Place squash in a medium saucepan; cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well.

Combine squash and next 6 ingredients (squash through egg white) in a blender, and process until smooth. Divide squash mixture evenly among 6 (6-ounce) custard cups coated with cooking spray.

Place cups in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cups from water; let stand 5 minutes.

Loosen edges of custard with a knife or rubber spatula. Invert custard cups onto individual plates. Sprinkle with nutmeg, and garnish with watercress, if desired.

Last edited:
mish said:
How big is this bird? :LOL: I'm guessing, if there's no room in the oven with the turkey, you might be preparing other dishes at the same time?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, the bird ain't that big, but it cooks at 325. It seems most people here are talking about roasting the squash at higher temps then that.

10.5 # bird takes up about 2/3 to 3/4 of the small oven. Well, maybe as little as 1/2 with the borrowed roasting pan I have. The pan I used for Thanksgiving was enourmous, and prohibited additional items cooking in the oven.

How long would the squash take to roast at 325? I don't want to check it every whatever minutes so as to not interfere with the cooking of the turkey. "The squash" would be either butternut or acorn, like I mentioned before. Would cooking either be more or less the same?

Andy M. said:
I usually roast my butternut whole then scoop out the flesh and mix it with butter and brown sugar salt and pepper. You can also add in roasted garlic.

The benefit of roasting it whole is that you don't have to peel it first. The skin comes off easily when its cooked.

What quantities of butter and sugar?

Andy M, how long does it take to roast an uncut butternut squash? I've never done that before. I love the squash - but peeling it is so hard...

Also, what temperature do you use?

I coat the whole squash with oil and roast it in a 400 F oven for an hour or more depending on the size of the squash. It's done when a knife goes in easily.

I don't measure the sugar and butter. You can serve it plain. For butter, 2-4 tablespoons depending on the size of the squash. Brown sugar to taste-start with a quarter cup.

I puree the squash with a stick blender. I prefer the smooth texture.

GB said:
Bigdog, I don't know if this is an option or not, but I love simple roasted butternut squash. I just cut into cubes (not too small) and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake into done to your liking. You can make this ahead of time and just re-heat in the microwave when the time comes.

Another question.

Flat pan (i.e. cookie sheet)? Or something with sides, but don't layer thick?

I'm figuring I have half of an oven to work with, at 325 degrees. Higher is possible when the bird comes out.

I would use a casserole dish, something with sides. Otherwise the oil will make a mess of your oven. Try to put it in a single layer, but don't worry if you can't do that. I usually bake it at 400 or higher, but 325 will work too. It will just take a little longer.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, slight change in plans.

Went to the grocery store today (2 stores) and both were plumb out of butternut squash! :ohmy: :mad:

So, improvise, right? :chef:

Bought 2 acorn squash instead. Figure roast 'em both with the bird for a while, scoop out the goodies, and add some butter & brown sugar.

Could your/the method mentioned with roasting the butternut with olive oil and salt work well with acorn squash. Frankly, I've never had the two side by side, so I do not know what if any similarities in taste they may have.

I have actually never cooked acorn squash before, but if I were to guess then I would say you should be able to cook it the exact same way. Let us know how it turned out.

Back
Top Bottom