Butternut Squash and Carrot Puree with Maple Syrup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Butternut Squash and Carrot Puree with Maple Syrup

4 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
1 (3 ½ lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½” pieces
1 c fresh OJ
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until just tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in 1 Tbsp butter. Add carrots and sauté until coated with butter, about 1 minute. Stir in remaining Tbsp butter. Add squash and sauté until beginning to soften, about 8 minutes. Pour juice over vegetables. Cover and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer until all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in maple syrup. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree mixture in processor until smooth. (I’m thinking you could use the immersion blender here, too.) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl.

Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Stir over medium heat to rewarm.

PA, the flavors sound sooo good, particularly adding the OJ. Trying to picture it in my mind, Would I serve this as a side or, guessing it's more of a soup dish. Appreciate your taking the time to share these dishes. A big Thank you. :)

I must be thinking ahead to Thanksgiving, when I saw this one. Would like to give it a try & share it with the fellow squash/zucchini lovers. See what you think.

Butternut Squash & Potato Gratin with Walnut Crust

To vary this gratin, add tomatoes, caramelized onions, or other vegetables. It's wise to put a sheet of foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any cream that bubbles over.
Serves nine.

1 butternut squash (about 2 lb.), peeled
2 Idaho potatoes (about 1-1/4 lb. total), peeled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs combined with 2 Tbs. melted butter

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

For a gratin, alternate layers of squash and potato, drizzling cream and sprinkling Parmesan in between.​
Press gently on the completed layers to distribute the cream evenly.

Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8-inch (2-qt.) glass or ceramic baking dish. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and fibers. Slice the squash and potatoes about 1/8 inch thick (use a mandoline if you have one). Line the bottom of the baking dish with a layer of squash (overlapping slightly), season lightly with salt and pepper, sprinkle with a little of the Parmesan, and drizzle with a little of the cream.

Cover with a layer of potato slices, season with salt, pepper, cheese, and cream. Repeat with the remaining squash and potatoes until the dish is full, ending with a top layer of squash, seasoned and topped with any remaining cheese and cream. (You may have extra squash.) Press down lightly to distribute the cream and compact the layers. The last layer of squash should be just sitting in the cream, but not covered by it.

Cover the dish with foil and bake until the vegetables feel tender when poked with a thin, sharp knife (check the middle layer), about 1 hour and 10 min.

Finish cooking the gratin uncovered to brown the breadcrumb-walnut topping.

Combine the walnuts and buttered breadcrumbs. Remove the gratin from the oven, sprinkle with the breadcrumb-nut mixture, and bake until the top is lightly browned, 5 to 10 min. Let sit in a warm place for 20 min. before serving so that liquids will set and tighten the gratin. Cut into 9 squares and serve.

Last edited:
Mish, that sounds wonderful! I've copied and pasted and it's on my list to make this fall.

The puree definately is a side dish. It's so good you could probably eat it as a meal but it makes a great side with a Turkey Day dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom