Buying celery - Is yours different?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
The celery we have been getting in our grocery stores has been a dark green, tough and bitter tasting. This has been happening for over a month. Is it all areas or just here in the upper midwest?

it sounds like they weren`t earthed up properly to blanch them, in the UK the celery is good in most supermarkets, but the celery from Lidls is as you describe it, it`s ok for Soups though.

I wouldn't be surprised if celery that does not get adequate rainfall could turn out like that....just a guess....my celery at home is like that and we are in a severe drought..

Miss JoAnn...

As you know now,do not buy celery that is extremely dark green and most times small in size. Rather look for a pale green, glossy color, leaf stems the snap easily etc. Outer ribs are best for cooking, while the inner ribs are best for relish trays etc.

Enjoy!

Miss JoAnn...

As you know now,do not buy celery that is extremely dark green and most times small in size. Rather look for a pale green, glossy color, leaf stems the snap easily etc. Outer ribs are best for cooking, while the inner ribs are best for relish trays etc.

Enjoy!

Uncle Bob. I wish I could find the kind you are talking about. All I can find are the dark green. One of the packages I bought home was full on dirt and sand on the inside of the celery. UGH. I don't know where they are getting it from. Even the Dole brand has been dark green. Hopfully the newer shipments will be better. Thanks for everyones input. JoAnn

JoAnn, You might try buying the bags of celery hearts, though more expensive, they are still quite fresh and light green. Short of that, if you buy the full stalks of celery, you can always peel off the exterior strings with a veggie peeler or knife.

Back
Top Bottom