"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
Executive Chef
We never had cooked cabbage when I was growing up, but had cole slaw a good bit. It seems like every time I heard about cooked cabbage it was in a mystery book about old boarding houses that reeked of "boiled cabbage". I only cook my cabbage about 5 minutes and it never smells, but it tastes wonderful. I use only the water that stick to the leaves and add a bit of salt and pepper. It is still crisp and green - makes me think the vitamins are still there.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
brussel sprouts, I actually love 'em now...

kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
Master Chef
When I married my husband, was a meat & potato man. If he had to eat a vegetable, it was peas, corn, an occasional carrot, or green beans.
His mother wasn't much of a cook, and his first two wives had tastes similar to his own, so I think he just didn't know how good vegies can be!
I have taught him to eat everything except cabbage. I don't know how a person can love broccoli and brussels sprouts, and hate cabbage. He says it's the smell. I have gotten him to eat a few bites of my spicy North Carolina Slaw, and he says it would be good if it didn't have cabbage in it.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
Head Chef
I think that after I got married, I learned that I started to like more veggies because I was cooking them the way I wanted. Asparagus, spinach, peas, sauer kraut and even carrots were the ones I stayed away from. Now I eat all of them quite often!! Most of the veggies that y'all didn't like (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc.) I always loved; even as a kid.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ

I found out that they taste pretty good on a pizza though!
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #16
Executive Chef
It's the truth, when you learn to cook the poor veggies the right way, they taste really great! My veggie conversion started early...always likes peas (frozen) and string beans (canned) corm and potatoes, but the rest were horrid unless fresh. Even those purple bowling balls called rutabagas are yummy fixed right.

Roasting does a lot for veggies...concentrates the flavors, caramelizes the sugars, mellows the sulfurs and acids.

My most recent converison was beets a few ago. Had them in a pasta at a great fusion restaurant. awesome...sweet, blended nicely with the tomato sauce, etc. also nice with nuts and cheese in a salad.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #17
Master Chef

As a kid, I hated peas, carrots and corn.

Peas did not stand a chance... so to this day they are still off the list.
Carrots.... love them raw, but will not eat them cooked.
Corn... big winner here... I love corn, from the can, from the cob, under a tree, in a barn.

I really love taking corn ears and rubbing them with a mixture of butter, garlic, herbs and salt and grilling the holy tar out of them till the get that nice charred look. Man, talk about gooooooood!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Let's work on the carrots....

Have you steamed them and slathered garlic butter on em'?
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #19
Head Chef
My diciest (sorry, don't know if that is a word) veggie is Brussel sprouts.

Take them, put them through the mandoline, and saute them in butter with some shallots and I will eat them. But they do not make my happy.

Even toss in some crumbled bacon, and still not a sale.

I like most cruciferous veggies though, it is just the sprouts that I cannot appreciate.

Were it not for Mrs. Auntdot they would never appear on our table. But she loves the doggone things.

And I eat a bit.

Mix them into the mashed tatties and you can hardly taste them.

Don't know of a breed of dog that likes the sprouts, but if there is, please, clue me in.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #20
Head Chef
Most of my 9 dogs like sprouts!! Even a couple of my cats do; not to mention the two burros in my avatar here too!! Of course they love cabbage; raw or cooked too. They very seldom get any as I or the hubby tend to not leave any for leftovers!!

Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote