"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Head Chef

Shred a head of cabbage, and put in a 8x11 pan. Pour a can of evaporated milk over the shredded cabbage--don't quite cover the cabbage. Add some salt and pepper.

Cover with bread crumbs and dot with butter, cook in 350 degree oven til cabbage is tender and crumbs are brown--an hour, maybe.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
Head Chef

sparrowgrass, that is one way I am not familiar with but it does sound very good!! I love cabbage; always have (yes, other kids thought I was weird!). I am going to have to try it your way!!

Old 10-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I put about 1 tbs crisco and bacon or ham with about 1 1/2 cups water
cut or tear cabbage up,bring to a boil,add salt...turn down to simmer ~
cover,cook untill its as tender as you like....

and I add ruter beggars to sometimes
Old 10-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #14
Cook

Thanks, yep just looking on how to cook cabbage not kraut.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I usually sautee shallots, onions, and garlic in a bit of bacon fat with a bit of butter. Then I deglaze the pan with white wine. Then I add the cabbage, a bit of sugar, some orange marmalade and a bit of cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. I don't like it overly mushy, but not too crisp, either.

Cabbage seems to be one of those foods that people either love or hate, yes?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #16
Master Chef

I like cabbage fixed all kinds of ways, but I usually cook it in the microwave because it always turns out perfectly crisp/tender.

Split a whole cabbage into quarters, remove core, and cut into wedges each quarter into wedges about 1-2 inches thick. Cut each wedge in a couple of pieces and place in large bowl. Add a chopped medium onion and however much minced garlic you like. Pour a can of chicken broth and 2-3 tbsp of the lipid of your choice...olive oil, butter or bacon grease...over the top. Cover bowl loosely with a sheet of waxed paper and nuke for about 10 minutes.
Remove from microwave and give it a stir. Recover with with waxed paper, and continue to nuke 5-10 minutes at a time until cabbage is tender.
Serve with a piece of crusty bread to sop up the juice.

*variations:
Add chunks of smoked or Polish sausage to cook in with cabbage. If you add the sausage, you may omit the oil.
You may also add tiny new potatoes and/or baby carrots at that time.
I often add a can of diced tomatoes with their liquid after the first round in the microwave.
When you serve the cabbage, you may top each bowl with cheese and run it in the nuke for a moment to melt the cheese.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I usually sautee shallots, onions, and garlic in a bit of bacon fat with a bit of butter. Then I deglaze the pan with white wine. Then I add the cabbage, a bit of sugar, some orange marmalade and a bit of cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. I don't like it overly mushy, but not too crisp, either.

Cabbage seems to be one of those foods that people either love or hate, yes?

Oh wow! You come up with some delish ideas.!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I prefer my cabbage gently fried, rather than boiled. But if boiled, it's particularly nice if you drizzle a little peanut oil in while it cooks. When I do have it boiled, I put chunks (held together with toothpicks) into the water in which I'm cooking a corned beef dinner, and that gives it a nice flavour, because in the water with everything else are things like cloves, and golden syrup, and onions and carrots etc. It's nice done that way.

Creamy Caraway Cabbage
1/4 green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Simmer cabbage in a little water until tender. Drain. Add sour cream, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parsley.

Cabbage and Mushrooms
Simply combine equal quantities of shredded cabbage and mushrooms in a frypan with a dob of butter, add a little garlic, salt and pepper to taste and fry gently, covered, until just tender. A thinly sliced onion may be added if liked. Zucchinis, sliced, may be substituted for the cabbage. [I like to add a sliced onion to this mixture.]

Colcannon (Bubble and Squeak)
1/2 medium cabbage, shredded
leftover mashed potato, same quantity as cabbage
3 tablespoons butter or bacon fat
1 small onion, finely chopped

Cook cabbage in boiling water for 6-7 minutes. Drain well. Heat butter, fry onion gently until soft. Add cabbage and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Fold in potato until combined with cabbage. Press down lightly into the pan to form a large pancake. Cook for 5 minutes or until underside is lightly browned. Hold a plate over the pan and invert the pan and plate together so the pancake falls out onto the plate with the browned side uppermost. Then slide it back into the pan to brown the other side. Serve very hot.

* Cook cabbage in milk and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg. Or fry slowly with a little butter, garlic and ginger.

Herbs that go well with cabbage include:

Basil, Caraway, Cayenne, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Ginger, Marjoram, Nutmeg, Sage, Savory, Tarragon

Old 11-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #19
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
I normally cut cabbage in wedges and steam it, 20 minutes or so. Then simply serve it with salt, pepper and butter. It also grills nicely; it sort of carmelizes on the grill. You know it's done when you can easily poke it with a fork and it's tender.

Fraidy
Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #20
Executive Chef

With the abundance of cabbage in winter, I prepare Lahanodolmades (Stuffed Cabbage with rice, mushrooms etc), stir-fry with pumpkin slices, potatoes & carrots, fry with rice noodles, make a Chinese cabbage stew and cabbage & carrot salad.

Tags
None