Cabbage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I slice it thin and steam it with chicken broth

then toss with a little melted butter.

Pretty much the only way I cook cabbage these days is to roughly shred/chop into thick pieces & saute/braise it in butter with salt & freshly ground pepper to taste. Comes out green, tender, but still crisp. Only way I like cabbage now, outside of stirfries & soups.

My mother used to make a cabbage dish when I was a child that everyone really liked.

She layered cabbage leaves and uncooked pork link sausages in a casserole, ending with a layer of cabbage. The casserole was covered with foil and baked it until the cabbage was tender. I don't know what temp or how long she cooked it. I've made it and, I think, I baked the casserole at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. She served mashed potatoes with it.

It's real tasty and the sausage flavors the cabbage nicely. I've also used sausage patties when I didn't have any links. I just broke the patties in half to make distribution more even.

I chop it into thick pieces, steam it in a steamer basket and serve it with ketchup on top. It's the only time I will allow the ketchup bottle on the table outside of dogs and burgers! The flavors really compliment each other and it does not take much ketchup. My DH puts hot sauce on his 'cause he doesn't like cabbage and it kills the taste! That's the indicator of if he likes dinner or not!

I have sauted it in bacon drippings, add a little water, cover and cook until the doneness you like, then we sprinkle w/ vinegar.

I shread and cook it with olive oil, panceta or bacon, garlic or shallots, salt and pepper. THis is sautee. then I add 1/4 to 1/3 cup chic broth and put the lid on for 5 or so min. COmes out tender crisp and very tasty.

I think you got some good instructions here - for the BEST flavor use bacon - but it can certainly be done with some butter, salt and pepper.

I used to cut mine in wedges then in squares. I like to use a lid too when I cook cabbage.

Chef_Jen - I don't think she was meaning sauerkraut - just cooked cabbage.

for white cabbage, butter and salt and pepper...I lightly steam mine usually. Occasionally I jazz it um with either crispy fried italian or normal bacon pieces, or cumin seeds.

Shred a head of cabbage, and put in a 8x11 pan. Pour a can of evaporated milk over the shredded cabbage--don't quite cover the cabbage. Add some salt and pepper.

Cover with bread crumbs and dot with butter, cook in 350 degree oven til cabbage is tender and crumbs are brown--an hour, maybe.

sparrowgrass, that is one way I am not familiar with but it does sound very good!! I love cabbage; always have (yes, other kids thought I was weird!). I am going to have to try it your way!!

I put about 1 tbs crisco and bacon or ham with about 1 1/2 cups water
cut or tear cabbage up,bring to a boil,add salt...turn down to simmer ~
cover,cook untill its as tender as you like....

and I add ruter beggars to sometimes

Last edited:
I usually sautee shallots, onions, and garlic in a bit of bacon fat with a bit of butter. Then I deglaze the pan with white wine. Then I add the cabbage, a bit of sugar, some orange marmalade and a bit of cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. I don't like it overly mushy, but not too crisp, either.

Cabbage seems to be one of those foods that people either love or hate, yes?

I like cabbage fixed all kinds of ways, but I usually cook it in the microwave because it always turns out perfectly crisp/tender.

Split a whole cabbage into quarters, remove core, and cut into wedges each quarter into wedges about 1-2 inches thick. Cut each wedge in a couple of pieces and place in large bowl. Add a chopped medium onion and however much minced garlic you like. Pour a can of chicken broth and 2-3 tbsp of the lipid of your choice...olive oil, butter or bacon grease...over the top. Cover bowl loosely with a sheet of waxed paper and nuke for about 10 minutes.
Remove from microwave and give it a stir. Recover with with waxed paper, and continue to nuke 5-10 minutes at a time until cabbage is tender.
Serve with a piece of crusty bread to sop up the juice.

*variations:
Add chunks of smoked or Polish sausage to cook in with cabbage. If you add the sausage, you may omit the oil.
You may also add tiny new potatoes and/or baby carrots at that time.
I often add a can of diced tomatoes with their liquid after the first round in the microwave.
When you serve the cabbage, you may top each bowl with cheese and run it in the nuke for a moment to melt the cheese.

VeraBlue said:
I usually sautee shallots, onions, and garlic in a bit of bacon fat with a bit of butter. Then I deglaze the pan with white wine. Then I add the cabbage, a bit of sugar, some orange marmalade and a bit of cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. I don't like it overly mushy, but not too crisp, either.

Cabbage seems to be one of those foods that people either love or hate, yes?

Oh wow! You come up with some delish ideas.!:) :)

I prefer my cabbage gently fried, rather than boiled. But if boiled, it's particularly nice if you drizzle a little peanut oil in while it cooks. When I do have it boiled, I put chunks (held together with toothpicks) into the water in which I'm cooking a corned beef dinner, and that gives it a nice flavour, because in the water with everything else are things like cloves, and golden syrup, and onions and carrots etc. It's nice done that way.

Creamy Caraway Cabbage
1/4 green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Simmer cabbage in a little water until tender. Drain. Add sour cream, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parsley.

Cabbage and Mushrooms
Simply combine equal quantities of shredded cabbage and mushrooms in a frypan with a dob of butter, add a little garlic, salt and pepper to taste and fry gently, covered, until just tender. A thinly sliced onion may be added if liked. Zucchinis, sliced, may be substituted for the cabbage. [I like to add a sliced onion to this mixture.]

Colcannon (Bubble and Squeak)
1/2 medium cabbage, shredded
leftover mashed potato, same quantity as cabbage
3 tablespoons butter or bacon fat
1 small onion, finely chopped

Cook cabbage in boiling water for 6-7 minutes. Drain well. Heat butter, fry onion gently until soft. Add cabbage and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Fold in potato until combined with cabbage. Press down lightly into the pan to form a large pancake. Cook for 5 minutes or until underside is lightly browned. Hold a plate over the pan and invert the pan and plate together so the pancake falls out onto the plate with the browned side uppermost. Then slide it back into the pan to brown the other side. Serve very hot.

* Cook cabbage in milk and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg. Or fry slowly with a little butter, garlic and ginger.

Herbs that go well with cabbage include:

Basil, Caraway, Cayenne, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Ginger, Marjoram, Nutmeg, Sage, Savory, Tarragon

I normally cut cabbage in wedges and steam it, 20 minutes or so. Then simply serve it with salt, pepper and butter. It also grills nicely; it sort of carmelizes on the grill. You know it's done when you can easily poke it with a fork and it's tender.

Fraidy

With the abundance of cabbage in winter, I prepare Lahanodolmades (Stuffed Cabbage with rice, mushrooms etc), stir-fry with pumpkin slices, potatoes & carrots, fry with rice noodles, make a Chinese cabbage stew and cabbage & carrot salad.

Back
Top Bottom