Can I just saute green beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
If I have fresh green beans, do I need to blanch them first or can I just saute them?

To me it depends upon the thickness of the beans. If they are small, or I have cut them the long way as in Frenching, sure. If they are thicker, them parboiling will make them more tender.

I always start mine in some water and with a lid on the pot, sort of half boiling, half steaming them for 10-15 minutes (with salt and a little pepper), then I drain them, add oil and saute them. I'll add more seasoning or slivered almonds if I'm in the mood. I like my veggies on the soft side, though. I do the same with broccoli, too, though I don't steam nearly as long.

I usually give them a couple of minutes (maybe 5) in boiling salted water, plunge them into an ice bathe, then saute them in garlic infused olive oil.

lyndalou, is there a difference between adding garlic to the oil while it's cooking and garlic infused oil? Is infused when you put the cloves right in the oil bottle and let them sit?

Thanks

We grow allot of green beans here on the farm. When we are going to just sauté them we just rinse and pat dry then cook in olive oil and garlic we do not blanch first and they come out great. But this is just how we do it. Everyone has a different way that works for them. Thanks Digger

I've never heard of having to blanch green beans before you saute them.

"Boiling, steaming or microwaving are popular ways to prepare beans. Stir-frying preserves the best qualities of the fresh bean. Whatever cooking method you choose, remember to cook beans as little as possible using the smallest amount of water as possible.

If I have fresh green beans, do I need to blanch them first or can I just saute them?

Instead of boiling a seperate pot of water, put some water in your pan and blanch them there. When done, strain through a sieve, return the pan to the stove (already warm) and saute the beans. ;)

After a second or two, any residual water will evaporate from the pan. Then you can add the oil or butter or whatever.

A lot depends on the green bean. Young tender beans will cook right in the skillet.
I like to saute them for a while, then add a small amount of liquid, put the lid on, and turn the heat down. Let them steam a few minutes until tender.

You really should try them sauteed with a little bacon and onion.

well, after reading the first several posts I was thinking, you learn something everyday, don't you? I had never heard of or considered blanching my green beans before sauteing them. Then the later posts described my situation. I am out there in the garden harvesting green beans the instant they are big enough to snap! Yes Connie, that is exactly how I saute my green beans; with bacon, onion, and sometimes garlic and almonds.

lyndalou, is there a difference between adding garlic to the oil while it's cooking and garlic infused oil? Is infused when you put the cloves right in the oil bottle and let them sit?

Thanks

You can infuse oil with garlic right in the pan by letting the garlic cook very slowly in heated oil (low heat). Then remove.

Or you can infuse oil with garlic and bottle it -- though the oil must then be kept refrigerated and used within a week to 10 days as has the potential for botulism poisoning.

If I am sauteeing them, I usually blanch my beans in plenty of salted boiling water -- then shock them to keep them green. Then sautee.

I don't blanch if I'm stir frying.

I steam my green beans then toss them in some butter, olive oil and garlic. I've also roasted them. They don't necessarily have to be blanched in my opinion.

Here is my take on fried green beans. My Mother taught me how to make them and have been doin it every sence
Italian fried Green beans
From the files of Mother Hutchins

First get a Dutch oven or a very large sauce pan
.1/4-1/2 pound of diced bacon (ends and pieces are very good)
Stem and snap 2 pounds of FRESH GREEN BEANS not canned
At least 8-10 cloves of fresh garlic rough chopped
4 ounce can of tomato paste
8 ounce’s of tomato sauce
1 medium onion minced medium
.1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
1.1/2 cups water

Fry bacon till crisp.. Add beans and fry for 10 or more minutes. Add garlic, onion and fry till fragrant add tomato paste tomato sauce salt and fresh cracked black pepper and add water stir till combined . Bring up to a boil and turn back the heat to a slow simmer let cook stirring often for at least two hours Preferably for three hours.. Or do every thing up to bring to a boil then add to crock pot set on high for two hours then turn to low and cook for at least 6-7 hours

Chefs note I sometimes add .1/2 tsp of ground Fennel and 1 TBL of oregano
At the last .1/2 hour of cooking. At the last .1/2 hour of cooking check your seasonings and adjust for salt and pepper. Sit back put on bib and enjoy
Recipe complements of Chef David Hutchins

Last edited:
Thanks for answering that for me jennyema!

Jeekinz, that's exactly how I do it, in the same pot or pan. Why dirty two? :LOL:

And I don't consider what I'm doing "blanching", but maybe it is. I consider it cooking them almost all the way through. I thought blanching leaned towards the underdone side..... not the nearly done side :huh:

If we can trust Julia Child ....

Toss your green beans into a pot of salted boiling water for about 2-3 minutes (aka parboiling or blanching) and then remove to a bowl of ice water with a slotted spoon or spider (aka shocking) to stop the cooking. This brightens and sets the color.

Then, drain and toss into the hot saute pan - cook for 3-4 minutes. The theory is to not cook them for more than 7 minutes total to retain the best bright green color.

If you want the olive-drab green mush you get out of a can ... just do like my Mom used to do ... boil them for about 30-minutes! :neutral:

I cooked them last weekend with oil and garlic and some butter, and just put a lid on the saute pan for the first couple of minutes.

If you want the olive-drab green mush you get out of a can ... just do like my Mom used to do ... boil them for about 30-minutes! :neutral:

Michael, boiling fresh green beans for a long time changes the color?

I used to buy them buy bulk, they were always that bright green color no matter how I cooked them. And I could never really get them to soften up like I prefer them. I swear I darn near boiled the pot dry trying to soften them up and get that nice, dark color. Then I started buying the darker, more expensive prepackaged ones and they started out olive green and finished olive green. As in this photo.

If there's a trick to getting the bright green beans that you purchase loose to look like this, I'd love to hear more.

Attachments

• April 23 orange roughy.jpg
    April 23 orange roughy.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 267
Back
Top Bottom