Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Yum!!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #42
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Around me, it's slaw with BBQ, Fried Catfish etc. ~~ Also cabbage "greens"...Cooked like any other greens with smoked pork parts of your choice. ~ Cornbread in one shape or form is always on the side. ~~ For a full meal deal, add several sliced weenies while cooking...serve with cornbread, and yellow mustard for dipping the weenies in....
I've not thought to cook cabbage just like greens. I love cabbage. I love greens. I'll bet it would be delicious. I agree, Uncle Bob. You got to have cornbread!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #43
Head Chef

I didn't read the whole thread. Did anyone mention a New England Boiled Dinner?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

my baby carrots and cabbage are ready to eat. i put in small crock-pot with a bit of low sodium chicken broth. added garlic powder and lots of pepper. just need to quickly grill the pork loin chop and dinner is ready. can't wait , i love cabbage. wish i could have some cornbread.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I didn't read the whole thread. Did anyone mention a New England Boiled Dinner?
More than once, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #46
Executive Chef

I've been following this topic for quite some time, and I just love cabbage! I just love all Brassica. This includes cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, the Asian kai lan or gai lan and very importantly mustard, responsible for our prepared mustard spread.

Notwithstanding the traditional cabbage and corn beef Irish dish, I've found an Asian cabbage recipe that I really liked although I'm puzzled.

You take a whole cabbage (traditional or Napa) and quarter it, then cut out the stems, then cut it into approx. 2"x2" squares. Heat some toasted sesame oil in a wok, perhaps 2-3 Tablespoons, then saute the cabbage for a bit. Then add some fluid (perhaps water or stock) and cover, steam it for several minutes then salt it to taste when done.

I can't find my original notes on this recipe. I suspect it came from one of my Asian cookbooks, probably Chinese, but I'm amazed that I don't understand why the toasted sesame oil does not overpower the recipe. In fact the result is to my taste very subtle.

Did I say I love Brassica?

ETA: rapeseed (Canola oil), kale, cauliflower, turnips, rutabagas. Brassica is very important to many of our favorite foods..
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
That is strange, Greg, given the quantity of sesame oil. I wonder if the steaming somehow mellows it out?

Normally I use toasted sesame as a finish oil. Given your recipe, my inclination would be to do the initial saute in a neutral oil, or maybe peanut. Then, just before it's done, sprinkle some toasted sesame oil in both for flavor and to give everything a slight gloss.

But what the hay! If it works, it works.

A little trivia that might interest you: In the 18th century, taken as a group the brassicas where the most popular vegetales grown. All the cabbages, certainly. But also mustard, turnips, beets, kale, collards (which they called "coleworts") etc.

They also used them in ways that have, unfortunately, fallen out of favor. For instance, after radishes bolted they would pickle the pods, and use them similar to capers.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
That is strange, Greg, given the quantity of sesame oil. I wonder if the steaming somehow mellows it out?

Normally I use toasted sesame as a finish oil. Given your recipe, my inclination would be to do the initial saute in a neutral oil, or maybe peanut. Then, just before it's done, sprinkle some toasted sesame oil in both for flavor and to give everything a slight gloss.

But what the hay! If it works, it works.

A little trivia that might interest you: In the 18th century, taken as a group the brassicas where the most popular vegetales grown. All the cabbages, certainly. But also mustard, turnips, beets, kale, collards (which they called "coleworts") etc.
I'm with you, I just don't understand why my suggested recipe (cabbage cooked in toasted sesame oil) works. I don't understand why this is not spicy. I got the idea from one of my Asian cookbooks (now all of them at my storage unit and not accessible) and I'm stuck with my memory of the recipe (my memory isn't very good which is why I like to post my recipes on the Internet, partly because I can refer/access them too, from anywhere).

A lot of people don't like Brassica. I'm not one of them. I'm enthused to post some recipes for kai lan, gai lan or perhaps kailan or gailan, commonly available in our heavily Los Angeles Asian markets, but I'm reluctant because I understand that these vegetables are just not available over much of the nation (or overseas, except in Asia of course.) Kailan (for lack of a better word) is like broccoli except the flowers are very small and the leaves are very large, and you cook the stems and leaves (with the flowerettes as a garnish). If you like broccoli you'll like this, and if you hate broccoli you'll hate this.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
I think all those Asian greens are more available now than in the past. Most recipes using them also work with bok choy, though, and that certainly is available in most supermarkets. Barring that, broccolini, and even savoy cabbage, often substitute nicely.

What I'm saying is, post away. The recipes are adaptable.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #50
Executive Chef

How could I have forgotten bok choi???

I'll be very surprised if many people in US outside of L.A. have seen gailan in their markets. I've seen it in only a very few Asian markets here in L.A. (San Fernando Valley area).

Of course bok choi is far more widely available, perhaps one of the most "exotic" Asian vegetables widely available fresh, other than Napa cabbage.

Tags
cabbage