Can we talk Cabbage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Around me, it's slaw with BBQ, Fried Catfish etc. ~~ Also cabbage "greens"...Cooked like any other greens with smoked pork parts of your choice. ~ Cornbread in one shape or form is always on the side. ~~ For a full meal deal, add several sliced weenies while cooking...serve with cornbread, and yellow mustard for dipping the weenies in....

I've not thought to cook cabbage just like greens. I love cabbage. I love greens. I'll bet it would be delicious. I agree, Uncle Bob. You got to have cornbread!

I didn't read the whole thread. Did anyone mention a New England Boiled Dinner?

my baby carrots and cabbage are ready to eat. i put in small crock-pot with a bit of low sodium chicken broth. added garlic powder and lots of pepper. just need to quickly grill the pork loin chop and dinner is ready. can't wait , i love cabbage. wish i could have some cornbread.

I've been following this topic for quite some time, and I just love cabbage! I just love all Brassica. This includes cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, the Asian kai lan or gai lan and very importantly mustard, responsible for our prepared mustard spread.

Notwithstanding the traditional cabbage and corn beef Irish dish, I've found an Asian cabbage recipe that I really liked although I'm puzzled.

You take a whole cabbage (traditional or Napa) and quarter it, then cut out the stems, then cut it into approx. 2"x2" squares. Heat some toasted sesame oil in a wok, perhaps 2-3 Tablespoons, then saute the cabbage for a bit. Then add some fluid (perhaps water or stock) and cover, steam it for several minutes then salt it to taste when done.

I can't find my original notes on this recipe. I suspect it came from one of my Asian cookbooks, probably Chinese, but I'm amazed that I don't understand why the toasted sesame oil does not overpower the recipe. In fact the result is to my taste very subtle.

Did I say I love Brassica? :)

ETA: rapeseed (Canola oil), kale, cauliflower, turnips, rutabagas. Brassica is very important to many of our favorite foods..

Last edited:
That is strange, Greg, given the quantity of sesame oil. I wonder if the steaming somehow mellows it out?

Normally I use toasted sesame as a finish oil. Given your recipe, my inclination would be to do the initial saute in a neutral oil, or maybe peanut. Then, just before it's done, sprinkle some toasted sesame oil in both for flavor and to give everything a slight gloss.

But what the hay! If it works, it works.

A little trivia that might interest you: In the 18th century, taken as a group the brassicas where the most popular vegetales grown. All the cabbages, certainly. But also mustard, turnips, beets, kale, collards (which they called "coleworts") etc.

They also used them in ways that have, unfortunately, fallen out of favor. For instance, after radishes bolted they would pickle the pods, and use them similar to capers.

That is strange, Greg, given the quantity of sesame oil. I wonder if the steaming somehow mellows it out?

Normally I use toasted sesame as a finish oil. Given your recipe, my inclination would be to do the initial saute in a neutral oil, or maybe peanut. Then, just before it's done, sprinkle some toasted sesame oil in both for flavor and to give everything a slight gloss.

But what the hay! If it works, it works.

A little trivia that might interest you: In the 18th century, taken as a group the brassicas where the most popular vegetales grown. All the cabbages, certainly. But also mustard, turnips, beets, kale, collards (which they called "coleworts") etc.

I'm with you, I just don't understand why my suggested recipe (cabbage cooked in toasted sesame oil) works. I don't understand why this is not spicy. I got the idea from one of my Asian cookbooks (now all of them at my storage unit and not accessible) and I'm stuck with my memory of the recipe (my memory isn't very good which is why I like to post my recipes on the Internet, partly because I can refer/access them too, from anywhere).

A lot of people don't like Brassica. I'm not one of them. I'm enthused to post some recipes for kai lan, gai lan or perhaps kailan or gailan, commonly available in our heavily Los Angeles Asian markets, but I'm reluctant because I understand that these vegetables are just not available over much of the nation (or overseas, except in Asia of course.) Kailan (for lack of a better word) is like broccoli except the flowers are very small and the leaves are very large, and you cook the stems and leaves (with the flowerettes as a garnish). If you like broccoli you'll like this, and if you hate broccoli you'll hate this.

I think all those Asian greens are more available now than in the past. Most recipes using them also work with bok choy, though, and that certainly is available in most supermarkets. Barring that, broccolini, and even savoy cabbage, often substitute nicely.

What I'm saying is, post away. The recipes are adaptable.

How could I have forgotten bok choi??? :)

I'll be very surprised if many people in US outside of L.A. have seen gailan in their markets. I've seen it in only a very few Asian markets here in L.A. (San Fernando Valley area).

Of course bok choi is far more widely available, perhaps one of the most "exotic" Asian vegetables widely available fresh, other than Napa cabbage.

Last edited:
How could I have forgotten bok choi??? :)

I'll be very surprised if many people in US outside of L.A. have seen gailan in their markets. I've seen it in only a very few Asian markets here in L.A. (San Fernando Valley area).

Of course bok choi is far more widely available, perhaps one of the most "exotic" Asian vegetables widely available fresh, other than Napa cabbage.

We have a nice little International Market here in Missoula, if I ask for something they try to get it for me. They make weekly trips to Spokane and once a month to Seattle. I may not be able to pick it up immediately, but I can plan a future meal.

I dunno, Greg. Many of the Asian greens---including gailan---are even available here in central Kentucky---where nothing exotic can be had.

Just to put a point on it, though, here is a recipe that was originally made with gailan, but which I've adapted to bok choy just because we like it better:

Several heads of bok choy, leaves separated
2 tbls peanut oil
large pinch red pepper flakes
3-4 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
2 tbls soy sauce, divided
1 tbls red wine
1 tbls fish sauce

Heat the oil in a wok. Add the pepper flakes and garlic slices, and fry, stirring constantly, until garlic starts to brown and turn crisp. Remove from wok, and set aside on paper towels.

Drop the greens into the wok and toss until they start to wilt. Add 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and the red wine and cook, tossing, until liquid almost is evaporated. Add the second tablespoon of soy sauce and the fish sauce, cover, and let steam until greens are tender.

Transfer greens to a serving dish or individual plates. Sprinkle with the garlic chips.

Last edited:
Well Seattle and Spokane are within the Asian magnet of Asian special ingredients not commonly available in middle America. Good weather and common availability of Asian foodstuffs (and restaurants) are reasons why I favor L.A. (although my future is in flux). I don't understand where in America anybody could have better access to Asian foods and ingredients. I'm not Asian but I'm just totally awed by Asian foods and Asian cooking. Thus my (current) signature.

I was previously enchanted by Mexican food. Now that I've gone off topic, where are the Mexian/Latino cabbage recipes? Do they do that?

Mmmmm!!! HF, I like that recipe!!! Could I add some toasted peanuts? :)

I'm glad you told me you can get gailan in central KY. I'm not sure I'll be able to stick here in L.A. It's very important to me to continue my Asian cooking quest wherever I go. That's one of the reasons I came back to L.A. (long story there, very off topic).

Last edited:
I think 90% of my cabbage intake(Napa)comes from kimchi. There are all sorts of varieties, and I haven't found on I don't like.

Eat more Korean! lol.

Not sure that it has been mentiond, but also, with the bulk, big head cabbage, you can slice it thin, blanch it, and treat it like noodles. Some tomato sauce, or bolognese, and it is surprisingly pretty tasty.

Mom used to make halubi. It is called different names by dialect from different regions.

It was blanched cabbage leaves rolled with ground meat and rice. the rolls were layered in a pot with some chunky tomato sauce and simmered for hours. I have not had it in years but now i want to make it.

Sourdough goes great with it for sloppin'!

Mom used to make halubi. It is called different names by dialect from different regions.

It was blanched cabbage leaves rolled with ground meat and rice. the rolls were layered in a pot with some chunky tomato sauce and simmered for hours. I have not had it in years but now i want to make it.

Sourdough goes great with it for sloppin'!

You can also make a casserole with the same ingredients that is a little less work by using shredded cabbage. I have made it when a whole fresh cabbage or bag of shredded cabbage is just too much for me to use in cabbage salad. It helps to change things up and prevent monotony or waste.

We all have to remember that when a language doesn't use our alphabet, how it is written in English can vary in extraordinary ways! I've seen bulgogi, bok choi, etc, spelled so many ways it is ridiculous. The b and p sounds seem interchangeable. Hence, bok, poc, pok, boc, bac, pac, etc.

My favorite was a Chinese-American friend from California, who during WWII wondered why the Germans hated the Jews. His name was Soot Jew. "What did we ever do to them?" It seems that some immigration officer in California heard the sound and wrote "Jew" as the last name. It's the same last name as "Chu" and various other spellings. But it gave this one Chinese-American a bit of confusion in his youth.

If you go to a Korean shop or restaurant, say the word aloud to yourself. You can get from "pak choi" to "bok choy", etc, just by saying it.

I checked out kraut today. It has been 4 weeks since we put it in the crock and it is coming along nicely. Tis usable now and will be better as the weeks go by.

Back
Top Bottom