Can you freeze sauerkraut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm sure i spelled that wrong.
DH and i only use a little, i hate to throw the rest of it away....

You spelled it correctly.

It will keep for a very long time in the fridge. after all, it's pickled. I've never frozen it. What have you got to lose, freeze some and see what happens.

define forever..... i get leary of anything past 3 days.
6 weeks? we could use a can in 6 weeks in summer.

I have gone months and months without any problem. Sauerkraut can do 6 weeks with one arm tied behind its back.

boy I'd hate to smell sauerkraut after it was around long enough to grow arms.....
thanks!!!

You can get saurerkraut in all sizes to suit your needs. I like sauerekraut on my hot dogs so I buy a tiny can and use it in two sittings.

the kind i like the best is in a bag in the meat dept..... wish they had a teeny bag.
maybe i should invent one and make a million bucks.
or half a million since they would be so small............

boy I'd hate to smell sauerkraut after it was around long enough to grow arms.....
thanks!!!
I buy the kind in a jar which has a lid. The smell stays contained that way and when you open it the kraut will smell the same 6 months later as the day you bought it.

i've been using my gladware to store it.... works pretty well, no smell. just haven't ever been sure how long to leave it there.

I actually buy my sauerkraut from a store that only sells pickled things ( mushroos, eggplant, cukes, eggs, peppers and cabbage ...) and she alsways tells me that i can freeze it for 6 months. i never tried it, but i assume she knows what she is talking about since she is in the business.

I go once a month and buy about $20 of pickled anything and everything. There is another place in New York City, called ' just pickles'. All it is , is a closet sized store front, with many large pickle barrels in front of it. Its somewhere near the Empire State Building.

just a note*** thats my two kids and the guy who works at the store***

Attachments

• crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
I buy the kind in a jar which has a lid. The smell stays contained that way and when you open it the kraut will smell the same 6 months later as the day you bought it.
:) I also think the glass jar is the way to go I also think the jarred kraut tastes better. Every so often I like like to eat it straight out of the jar cold, it is really tasty that way. We should eat more kraut any way.

I like the bag too with added caraway seeds, does keep along time, we like it with pork steak too - yum. Hubby is low sodium now, so I don't buy it very much just for me.

I go once a month and buy about $20 of pickled anything and everything. There is another place in New York City, called ' just pickles'. All it is , is a closet sized store front, with many large pickle barrels in front of it. Its somewhere near the Empire State Building.

just a note*** thats my two kids and the guy who works at the store***

Hey that's New York for you. Nothimg like this here, nothing even close.

Suzz, I'll give you the recipe to make some. The only thing it is much milder than an American kind. Mosy Americans i know do not like it.

Back
Top Bottom