"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I bought a can of potatoes haven't tried them yet.We also dont keep alot of potatoes around either but when you want potato thats what you want but for me that would be a over 90 miles round trip just for potatoes.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
you're preaching to the choir on this one Constance. Thanks for the suggestions on how to use them, I must admit that I mainly use them for soups, but I make a lot of soups!!

And you know, you have actually given me an idea. I still have a sizable amount of sweet potatoes, they are in excellent condition. But we are coming up, I hope, on some fresh vegetables from the garden, which lessens our need for vegetables like sweet potatoes and other items we have taken through the winter. Maybe I will can some of these sweet potatoes??
What a wonderful pantry filled with canned food. Honestly, I've never seen anything like it. I bought the Bell Canning Book and hope to try it this year. Last year I ended up freezing everything.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
Master Chef

Wow, Beth, those shelves are loaded! Isn't it a lovely sight to see all your hard work displayed like jewels!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I also bought The Bell Canning book but Im terrified of learning to can dont want to poison anybody.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I also bought The Bell Canning book but Im terrified of learning to can dont want to poison anybody.
Me too! Mr HB's parents canned everything and he doesn't understand my fear.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Bethzaring, Darling, that Bottom Shelf looks a little bit, erm...how shall we say??? STRESSED! :)

I think a 2x4 cut to right length for a middle support May be a good idea

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I agree YT you are very observant.There is nothing worse than cleaning up after a shelf gives way.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Master Chef

If you all follow the directions in your Ball Canning Book to the letter, you will have nothing to worry about.

I noticed that too, YT.

I used to store my canned goods on shelves hung from the wall with brackets, and one year, a whole shelf fell.
Fortunately, the jars were stored in the boxes they came in, and the only damage was one broken jar of corn (glass and corn went everywhere) and a couple of broken seals.
My dad said we'd used nails that were too short when we originally hung the shelves, so when we re-hung them we used some BIG old nails.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
Bethzaring, Darling, that Bottom Shelf looks a little bit, erm...how shall we say??? STRESSED! :)
I would call it BOWED. I can see the source of your concern, but rest assured, these shelves ain't going any where. The are toe nailed, blocked, made of 3/4 inch plywood, and faced with our own tulip poplar, which is what you see in the picture. The 3/4 inch plywood is only spanning 42 inches and is more than adequate for the load .
Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
If you all follow the directions in your Ball Canning Book to the letter, you will have nothing to worry about.

I noticed that too, YT.

I used to store my canned goods on shelves hung from the wall with brackets, and one year, a whole shelf fell.
Fortunately, the jars were stored in the boxes they came in, and the only damage was one broken jar of corn (glass and corn went everywhere) and a couple of broken seals.
My dad said we'd used nails that were too short when we originally hung the shelves, so when we re-hung them we used some BIG old nails.
Screws always hold better than nails

Tags
None