Canned Tomatoes. What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SACRILEGE!!!!!!

There's more flavor in what you squeeze out than any other part of the 'mater.

I understand that the juice may be undesirable as excess liquid in any given recipe but don't waste it.

Granted, I'm a certifiable fanatic when it comes to tomatoes but try this....

Squeeze out the seeds and juice into a tumbler, add sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste and drink.

Nectar of the Gods my friend!

More power to you if you like that stuff but I just don't enjoy raw tomatoes without them being in or on something... especially the texture of the "guts"
and that techniques only for times when the excess moisture isn't wanted like in salsa. I can't think of much worse when it comes to salsa and there's a big pool of flavorless liquid sitting on top of it.

Last edited:
When I was making and canning sauce over the summer I would collect the pulp and seeds from the tomatoes and then food mill it for drinking. It took a whole lot of tomatoes to get something worth saving depending on the type (Amish paste were very little seeds and pulp).

I've used all kind of tomato products from sauce and paste to diced and whole tomatoes. I love them all, there are all kind of uses for them.

no mayonnaise said:
More power to you if you like that stuff but I just don't enjoy raw tomatoes without them being in or on something... especially the texture of the "guts"
and that techniques only for times when the excess moisture isn't wanted like in salsa. I can't think of much worse when it comes to salsa and there's a big pool of flavorless liquid sitting on top of it.

I understand.

Hello, my name is Jeff and I'm a tomatoholic. Its been 27 minutes since my last tomato.

:)

I grow my own and talk to them, the conversation is very one sided as I am a shy person by nature.

Hello, I am also a tomatoholic, but I have curbed my addiction to canned tomatoes by growing my own...I can no longer tolerate canned tomatoes...hello, I am a tomatoholic...

I am a tomatoholic too. Love any kind fresh or canned Italian I don't wast any part of the tomato. I adore homemade gravy,tomato sauce, juice give it to me any way shape or form.:LOL:
kades

I am a tomatoholic too. Love any kind fresh or canned Italian I don't wast any part of the tomato. I adore homemade gravy,tomato sauce, juice give it to me any way shape or form.:LOL:
kades
And I'm also addicted to dehydrated Roma tomato chips. Bring the garden season on!

I had a neighbor who loved to grow tomatoes. His wife hated them. So he gave me permission to take any whenever I wanted some. Every morning I would have my disposable salt shaker and go in the garden and pick a beautiful big fully ripe tomato. I would eat it while I was waiting for the bus to go to work. Then I would pick another one when I came home and have it with my supper. :angel:

Hello, I am also a tomatoholic, but I have curbed my addiction to canned tomatoes by growing my own...I can no longer tolerate canned tomatoes...hello, I am a tomatoholic...

I feel the same about beets. I tasted some a few days ago and nearly gagged! Homemade is a million times better!

Didn't even bother trying bought pickles or jams again :LOL:
I buy canned tomato because I use so much. My kitchen is far too small to make preserves on that scale :(

I grow my own tomatoes as well and love them in season. But by the end of the season, just like with zuccchini, peppers, and sweet corn, I'm usually not so in love with them anymore. In fact, I am downright tired of the damned things at that point. But the following year, the cycle begins again and the tomato romance is rekindled. :LOL:

I don't mind canned tomatoes, but for whatever reason I don't tend to think of them as the same vegetable as fresh tomatoes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom