"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...I forgot about Ro-Tel. I don't use that in sauces, but I always have a couple cans of tomatoes & chilies on hand.
I don't care for the taste of Rotel. I add chilies to canned tomato as needed.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Master Chef

Nothing with added seasoning in the can. I like to add my own flavor.
Crushed - for chili
Crushed - for sauce but I sometimes run it through a food mill if there is a lot of skins in the can.
Whole - for making a salsa
Plain unseasoned tomato sauce - for a quick doctored sauce
Paste - for making sauce, sometimes for pizza and for hot dogs and onions
Paste in the tube - for adding a small amount to recipes
Stewed

Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I recently had the opportunity to put this question to the test. I moved from Ohio to New Mexico and sold or gave away enough stuff to get my possessions down to a reasonable sized moving van. (I had to sell my MF 265). I was confronted with what to do with about 300 quarts of home canned goods. The potatoes, green beans, corn, and tomato juice I gave away. But some canned foods I had to bring with me, in my car, and schlep them around to keep them from freezing during the 7 day cross country trip, in December. I needed to be really careful about what I packed in the car, and in retrospect I made some poor choices (some cooking equipment would have been nice, as well as my camera, but alas, those items are somewhere in my storage unit). The tomato products I hauled and schlepped were spaghetti/pizza sauce and chili sauce, both recipes from the Ball canning book. The spaghetti/pizza sauce I use for obvious dishes but the chili sauce is used both as an ingredient (taco lasagna/burrito type dishes) and eaten straight out of the jar like salsa. But I do miss my tomato/V8 juice.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

That's interesting, Beth. It didn't occur to me that canners would season their canned goods before sealing, rather than opening a jar to use and then seasoning it. Duh.
I'll give my tractor a hug for you today
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's interesting, Beth. It didn't occur to me that canners would season their canned goods before sealing, rather than opening a jar to use and then seasoning it. Duh.
I'll give my tractor a hug for you today
I was never able to can only tomatoes, even though I tried to many times. If I was canning tomatoes, then I also had onions, garlic, green peppers, celery, basil, parsley, carrots......coming on in the garden. And if I was going to the trouble to can, and was growing all those vegetables, I had to add them to the mix.

That's so sweet of you to hug your tractor for me. I think I may swing by the storage unit and hug my honda generator today. That's the closest thing I have to the MF (they are both red).
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Doink I wish I had a V-8. When I first discovered V-8 comes in 6 packs., I thought cool. Drank 'em all at practically one sitting. Don't buy that anymore. If I have tomato juice, I can doctor it up any-which-way and it's a tasty one time drink. I think the adding a little this/ a little that a shake of tabasco etc is self-satisfying.

I buy San Marzano whole tomatoes and sometimes another brand and break up with my clean hands. Well, they start out clean anyway. I bought diced once, they were ok, so would do it again, am not familiar with a tomato puree.

I usually have a small cans tomsto paste and Ro-tel on hand.

Most often I start out with jarred 'spaghetti" sauce as a base and go from there.

Last and most important-- Real Tomatoes. I know this is very much a seasonal vegetable/fruit. They are getting better about having hot house/ types that are more flavorful.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

My neighbor has a Massey. And there is one across the road from me in the grape vineyard right now. They were resetting posts the other day and it is sitting there with the auger bit buried MF's are pretty popular around here.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Head Chef

I can my own--love the chili sauce recipe from the BBB, but I leave out the spices and add more hot peppers. It makes a sweet hot salsa, good for chips, sandwich topping, over pork roast before putting it into the oven, and it makes great Christmas presents!!

I also can salsa without sugar, for tacos or as a chili ingredient.

Most of the tomato jars in the pantry are roasted sauce--I put all the ingredients for sauce (tomatoes, onions, green peppers, garlic, celery, maybe some hot peppers) on a roasting pan at 400 for an hour, run it thru the food processor or use the stick blender, add some vinegar, and can it. I put some of it in half pint jars (just the right size for a pizza) and the rest in pints. Roasting saves me scorching the sauce on the stove top, no sticking or stirring or blops on the stove top, and the roasting pans rinse clean after a few minutes soak. (Can you tell I am a lazy gardener/cook?)

I also do a few quarts of plain old tomatoes--I like them in veggie soup.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you make chili, Sparrow? Do you use the roasted sauce for that?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Wine Guy

I usually just buy canned whole tomatoes, preferably San Marzano. If I need a sauce, I take a stick blender and whiz it into sauce. Occasionally, if I have a recipe where I need chunks of tomatoes, I'll buy canned diced tomatoes.

Oh, and if I'm making up a quick blender salsa, I also like those Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes. I find that for some dishes they are just too acidic, but for salsa, they work great and have a nice smoky flavor.

Tags
tomatoes