"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use several canned tomato types: Regular diced, mini diced, diced chili ready, Ro-tel type, and sauce. I keep these on hand all the time.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

San Marzano for my pasta sauce I keep a tube of tomato paste in the fridg. Ro tel mild for dips and beans but I love Italian tomaotes for everything else marinara especially.otherwise its is to tart..
kades

Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
Master Chef

I also keep a variety of tomato products on hand.

The most used products in my kitchen are the coarse ground puree and the tomato paste.

I use a few cans of stewed tomatoes as stewed tomatoes but, I always add some ground cloves and butter to them.

I used to keep a few 8 ounce cans of sauce on hand but, the quality seemed to go down as the price went up so now I open a large can of crushed tomatoes and freeze them in one cup containers.

As far as brands go I like Wegman's store brand and Red Pack if it is on sale. Red Pack also has coupons online.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep a couple of small seasoned diced tomatoes on hand for a quick pasta and tomatoes when pasta and just butter is not emough. I also have a large can of Pine Cone whole American tomatoes for Italian mac and cheese. I have just one can of Pastene Kitchen Ready tomatoes for any Italian dishes. My daughter usually ends up with the can before I even think of using it. Then I have to replace it next time shopping. Happens about every month. I also have several small cans of tomato paste. Like PF, I too love to eat it right from the can. When I only need a spoonful or two, I freeze the rest, if I can keep from eating it.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I take it San Marzano tomatoes only come whole?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I take it San Marzano tomatoes only come whole?

I believe that's the case. The cream of the cop are the SM tomatoes grown and canned in the SM region of Italy. There are all sorts of official seals certifying the canned product as real SM. Pastene, san marzano tomatoes, imported from italy Scroll down the page for certification details.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I heard they were top of the line and of course have seen many threads referencing them. I didn't know they only came one way, whole.

I can see only buying whole tomatoes and then turning them into the end product for your particular use. It makes a lot of sense.
But it's so dang easy to just open the can and dump. No processing or blending. Of course, maybe I'd use my FP more than twice a year then, lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

True San Marzano tomatoes are not a type of tomato, but an area in Italy where Roma type tomatoes are grown. The reason they are preferrable is because they are grown in volcanic soil. They have a very hearty flavor of tomato.

In this country there is a "brand" called San Marzano and they are Roma type tomatoes grown right here in the United States. Nothing special about the flavor. In fact, the flavor leaves a lot to be desired. The name is used just to confuse the buyer into thinking they are getting the imported Roma type tomato from the San Marzano area. You have to look at the label really careful. True San Marzano tomatoes in this country will have the label of "imported from San Marzano" on the can. Not all imported Roma type tomatoes imported from Italy are from the San Marzano area. Are you totally confused now?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Wine Guy

Sounds like you need a stick blender, Pac. All you have to do is open the can of whole tomatoes, dump, and give it a quick whiz with the stick. Voila! You have sauce.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I do have a stick blender, Steve. But when whole tomatoes are the same price as crushed (for the brands I buy), I see no point. I like to cook and prep and all, but not to that extent. Not yet anyway...
Of course if I ever tried the SM it would be a diffferent story.

Tags
tomatoes