"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Caponata

I've had a canned version of caponata, but I will be trying this recipe soon. I saw it on Foodnetwork today, Bobby Flay. I like eating this on a cracker, but it's also good served over fish, he used swordfish.

Grilled Caponata:
1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise
1 large red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
4 plum tomatoes, halved
Olive oil, for brushing vegetables, plus 1/2 cup
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup green olives, chopped
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1/4 cup golden raisins, plumped in hot water and drained
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat grill to high. Brush eggplant, onion slices, and tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill the eggplant for 6 to 8 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Grill the onions for 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown and just cooked through. Grill the tomatoes for 2 minutes per side until charred and slightly soft. Remove the vegetables from the grill and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place the vegetables in a medium bowl and add the olives, capers, raisins and pine nuts. Mix together the garlic, red pepper flakes, vinegar, and honey in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Slowly whisk in about 1/2 cup olive oil until dressing is emulsified. Pour the dressing over the vegetables, add the parsley and toss, and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I've had a canned version of caponata, but I will be trying this recipe soon. I saw it on Foodnetwork today, Bobby Flay. I like eating this on a cracker, but it's also good served over fish, he used swordfish.

Grilled Caponata:
1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise
1 large red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
4 plum tomatoes, halved
Olive oil, for brushing vegetables, plus 1/2 cup
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup green olives, chopped
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1/4 cup golden raisins, plumped in hot water and drained
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat grill to high. Brush eggplant, onion slices, and tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill the eggplant for 6 to 8 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Grill the onions for 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown and just cooked through. Grill the tomatoes for 2 minutes per side until charred and slightly soft. Remove the vegetables from the grill and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place the vegetables in a medium bowl and add the olives, capers, raisins and pine nuts. Mix together the garlic, red pepper flakes, vinegar, and honey in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Slowly whisk in about 1/2 cup olive oil until dressing is emulsified. Pour the dressing over the vegetables, add the parsley and toss, and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.

LOL this CAN'T possibly be a Bobby Flay recipe! There's no Ancho Chili powder in here!!!

Tags
None