Caponata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have made it for years and never had it as a side dish in a meal--always as an appetizer.

Gretchen,
That is why I asked about the temp to serve it..I was having pork milanesa, rissotto and wasn't sure if I should serve at room temp like I use it for antipasto..I had about 3 Tab. left and made DH a sandwich of ham, cheese, etc on a soft french roll and added the rest of the caponata,,Should keep him happy til dinner tonight:LOL:

kadesma

Another suggestion, from a caponata fan -- make up a batch, keep in the fridge in a covered container & serve as an appy.

Spray some won ton skins with cooking spray, put them in muffin tins/cups, bake and let cool. Fill with caponata and chill. Another thought is turnovers, using the filling in filo. Could use the ready-made filo cups. Top with more pine nuts.

Mish,I've had caponata on toasted baguettes, but I like the wonton idea as well as phyllo..Never haveing worked with phyllo, that would be a challange, but, a fun one..Thakns..Will give it a try...Dh got the little bit that was left on his lunch sammie today :LOL: I'm getting taken out by daughter, and Cade and Carson Woooo Hooo:LOL:

kadesma

I have always made caponata for special occasions, I just leave out the raisins. I do put a little bit of sugar in it, though. Not a lot, but traditionally it is supposed to be sweet and a little sour. In fact, I heat up the vinegar and sugar solution and then pour it in. Fantastic.

My mom used to make a kick-a** caponata - definitely with no raisins, thank God. It was served as an appetizer, salad topping, & a great "sauce" to toss with pasta. Love the stuff. For those of you who have never tried it, Progresso makes (or used to, anyway), a decent canned version.

Kads, wanted to mention, I tossed the c with warm angel hair and served as a semi-cold summer pasta dish.

Noticed no one shared their recipe... kads would love to have yours. I made a combo of amber's & a few recipes I had, omitted the honey, & capers, added some roasted sweet peppers, and pretty much added in as I went along. As, IC mentioned, drizzled some evoo over the pasta dish and sprinkled with more pine nuts.

Last edited:
Really agree with Breezy--no raisins in my caponata although I have a great delicious recipe for eggplant caviar that does have raisins.
I know it is semantics but I don't quite equate caponata to ratouille, at least as I make mine. They both have eggplant, true.

Nonna's caponata

1lb eggplant, diced small, do not peel
1 onion, diced small
2 celery ribs, diced small
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 1/2 Tb capers, or more depending on preference
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar, heated with 1 Tb sugar
oregano, salt and pepper
handful of toasted pignoli's
1/4 - 1/2 cup EVOO

Fry up eggplant, onion, celery,mushrooms , tomatos,low heat in batches, adding the pressed garlic cloves. Put it all back in the pan, add the vinegar/sugar solution, some oregano, salt, pepper, and pignoli's. Let cool to room temp, enjoy with lightly toasted baguette slices. Simple, but so good.

I make copanata for every holiday family meal... it has become a favorite and I've served it every way possible...the favorite of my family is to serve it hot..topped with mozarella, as a casserole. I love it as bruschetta.. as a lasagna sauce, spaghetti sauce...its perfectly wonderful with meat added as well..and it's always better the second day..make it ahead of time for the flavors to blend well

Back
Top Bottom