Caponata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have made it for years and never had it as a side dish in a meal--always as an appetizer.

Gretchen,
That is why I asked about the temp to serve it..I was having pork milanesa, rissotto and wasn't sure if I should serve at room temp like I use it for antipasto..I had about 3 Tab. left and made DH a sandwich of ham, cheese, etc on a soft french roll and added the rest of the caponata,,Should keep him happy til dinner tonight:LOL:

kadesma

Another suggestion, from a caponata fan -- make up a batch, keep in the fridge in a covered container & serve as an appy.

Spray some won ton skins with cooking spray, put them in muffin tins/cups, bake and let cool. Fill with caponata and chill. Another thought is turnovers, using the filling in filo. Could use the ready-made filo cups. Top with more pine nuts.

Mish,I've had caponata on toasted baguettes, but I like the wonton idea as well as phyllo..Never haveing worked with phyllo, that would be a challange, but, a fun one..Thakns..Will give it a try...Dh got the little bit that was left on his lunch sammie today :LOL: I'm getting taken out by daughter, and Cade and Carson Woooo Hooo:LOL:

kadesma

I have always made caponata for special occasions, I just leave out the raisins. I do put a little bit of sugar in it, though. Not a lot, but traditionally it is supposed to be sweet and a little sour. In fact, I heat up the vinegar and sugar solution and then pour it in. Fantastic.

My mom used to make a kick-a** caponata - definitely with no raisins, thank God. It was served as an appetizer, salad topping, & a great "sauce" to toss with pasta. Love the stuff. For those of you who have never tried it, Progresso makes (or used to, anyway), a decent canned version.

Kads, wanted to mention, I tossed the c with warm angel hair and served as a semi-cold summer pasta dish.

Noticed no one shared their recipe... kads would love to have yours. I made a combo of amber's & a few recipes I had, omitted the honey, & capers, added some roasted sweet peppers, and pretty much added in as I went along. As, IC mentioned, drizzled some evoo over the pasta dish and sprinkled with more pine nuts.

Last edited:
Really agree with Breezy--no raisins in my caponata although I have a great delicious recipe for eggplant caviar that does have raisins.
I know it is semantics but I don't quite equate caponata to ratouille, at least as I make mine. They both have eggplant, true.

Nonna's caponata

1lb eggplant, diced small, do not peel
1 onion, diced small
2 celery ribs, diced small
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 1/2 Tb capers, or more depending on preference
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar, heated with 1 Tb sugar
oregano, salt and pepper
handful of toasted pignoli's
1/4 - 1/2 cup EVOO

Fry up eggplant, onion, celery,mushrooms , tomatos,low heat in batches, adding the pressed garlic cloves. Put it all back in the pan, add the vinegar/sugar solution, some oregano, salt, pepper, and pignoli's. Let cool to room temp, enjoy with lightly toasted baguette slices. Simple, but so good.

I make copanata for every holiday family meal... it has become a favorite and I've served it every way possible...the favorite of my family is to serve it hot..topped with mozarella, as a casserole. I love it as bruschetta.. as a lasagna sauce, spaghetti sauce...its perfectly wonderful with meat added as well..and it's always better the second day..make it ahead of time for the flavors to blend well

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom