Caponata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm going to try my hand at Caponata tomorrow and have a question..I'm told the dish is good, hot,cold or at room temp..If you were going to serve it as part of your meal, what temp would you choose. I'm having pork milenasa, rissoto with saffron, the caponata and just lettuce wedges with a creamy blue cheese dressing I think.

kadesma:)

GB. it's a vegatable dish, sort of like a coarse relish that can be eaten with a pork roast or fish or just about anything. It's also wonderful over a toasted baguette as an antipasto. It consists of celery, eggplant,red bellpepper onion,diced tomatoes,raisins, dry oregano,red wine vinegar, sugar, capers salt and pepper. I've tasted it as an antipasto, but never made it nor eaten it hot..That's why I asked for HELP:LOL:

kadesma

Caponata is basically the Italian version of Rattatouille. I like it either warm/hot or room temp., depending on what I'm eating it with. If it's with bread, or as an antipasti with meats and cheese I like it room temp. If it's a side with an entree I like it hot.

ironchef said:
Caponata is basically the Italian version of Rattatouille. I like it either warm/hot or room temp., depending on what I'm eating it with. If it's with bread, or as an antipasti with meats and cheese I like it room temp. If it's a side with an entree I like it hot.
Thanks IC, I believe your right about serving hot with the meal..That's what I'll do.

Robo410 said:
It can be a wonderful "pasta sauce" for a vegan meal, also!
Thanks Robo, Mish suggested that also, so next time I'll try it with pasta. It should be great.

Gerrycooks said:
I like it at room temperature. The sauce is thicker.
Gerry, I've had it at room temp as a part of an antipasto over toasted baguette and also in a pita sandwich. It's yummy that way to..

kadesma said:
Thanks IC, I believe your right about serving hot with the meal..That's what I'll do.

I also posted this in the what's for dinner thread, but not sure if you'll see it so....

If you have a good extra-virgin olive oil, drizzle it over the caponata right before you eat it.

Constance said:
You lost me with the raisons. I love them in cookies, cakes, muffins, etc, but I don't like them in savory dishes.

traditionally caponata is a sweet n sour ... agre dolce as the Italians call it. Many recipes inclde sultana golden raisins, but many don't. Leave them out if you don't like em. see how it tastes.

Last edited:
ironchef said:
I also posted this in the what's for dinner thread, but not sure if you'll see it so....

If you have a good extra-virgin olive oil, drizzle it over the caponata right before you eat it.
Saw you post, will drizzle,:) and thank you for all your help.

kadesma

I like it somewhere between warm and room temp (if you dip your finger into it you'll still feel a bit of heat), and with tons of raisins (and pine nuts). It's awesome with a big, warm focaccia bread to dunk in it.

Piccolina said:
I like it somewhere between warm and room temp (if you dip your finger into it you'll still feel a bit of heat), and with tons of raisins (and pine nuts). It's awesome with a big, warm focaccia bread to dunk in it.
I served it hot, with a drizzle of evoo on top as Iron Chef suggested, it was great. I have to admit that I added pine nuts even tho the recipe didn't call for them..Best chance guess on adding an ingredient I've made in a while:LOL: We ate every last bite...Next time I make it I'll make some foccacia to go with it. I wonder how a sweet foccacia would be.. I made one with figs and it was so good and so different..We really enjoyed it.

Aw shucks CJ, I wasn't around yesterday and missed all the fun!! I :heart: caponata!!!!!! What a cool combination of northern recipe like risotto alla milanese and the southern specialty caponata!! You did well to add the pine nuts, I make several variations but pine nuts are always a must!! I am glad you guys enjoyed the dinner, but the next time you make it with the sweet focaccia I expect an invitation!!:-p

Back
Top Bottom