Cauliflower dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
This is similar to a dish I've eaten a few times when visiting Palermo. Don't know if it is genuinely Sicilian, or just a speciality of some of the restaurants there! It can be prepared as a side dish, or served as a veggie supper.:)

1 large cauliflower (about 700g or so)
200g veg stock - home made or via a stock cube
Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
75ml EEVO
25g sultanas
3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
3 tablespoons (drained weight) capers in brine (Nonpareille are best)
25g lightly toasted pine nuts
10-15g flat leaf parsley
1 large unwaxed lemon (Sicilian ones are wonderful, bumpy and quite ugly, but the flavour is just wonderful!)

Preheat oven to gas mark 6/200C. Remove all the excess leaves etc and trim base of cauliflower. Cut into fairly thick slices (about 2 cm). Lay them together in a small roasting tin (add any of the florets that may have broken off during cleaning/cutting), layering, if necessary. Pour over the stock and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cover with tinfoil and roast in the oven for approx 35-40 minutes, or until tender. Remoev foil after first 20 mins or so.

Meanwhile, soak the sultanas in a little boiling water for 5 minutes until really soft, then drain and set aside. Warm the remaining olive oil in a small pan with the arlic slices. Remove from heat and leave to infuse for 5 minutes. Remove garlic from the oilive3 oil and discard, then stir in the capers, pine nuts, sultanas and parsley.

Remove cauliflower and using a slotted spoon transfer to a serving dish. Discard the stock. Drizzle the dressing over, season then squeeze over lemon juice to your taste.

Great served with an olive ciabatta bread for mopping up the juices.

Thank you Ishbel,
my family will enjoy this recipe as they all love cauliflower.
kadesma

Thanks, Ishbel. I have caulifower in the 'fridge now, and I think I will try it.

Back
Top Bottom