Celery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aubergina

Assistant Cook
Hi all, I bought a bunch of celery from the market last week only to use one or two stalks. I have a lot left, and I want to make something with it before it spoils.

It seems like celery is used mainly for flavoring purposes in sauces, stuffings, etc. Does anyone know of just a plain celery dish? Thanks!

This is an amazing soup. We make this quite often. You can make it with the remaining celery you have. Missing those two stalks should not matter a great deal.

Cream of Celery Soup

Ingredients:

1 head of celery
1 pound potatoes
1 large leek
5 cups chicken stock
2 ounces butter
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Melt butter slowly in large pan. Add chopped vegetables. Mix all together thoroughly.

Cook slowly for 15 minutes then add stock and simmer for 25 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.

Cool slightly and puree in blender.

When I have leftover celery like that, I chop it up and put it in the freezer in small ziplocks. I do the same with onions, peppers, etc. It sure comes in handy, and as long as you're chopping, you may as well go ahead and chop the whole thing.

Hi Aubergina,
I sometimes take extra celery, cut it into pieces about 4-5 inches long then saute it in butter for about 5-6 minutess. I then add some beef or chicken stock a little dill and some pepper. Cover, cook on low heat til tender, when ready to serve add a little more dill and enjoy.
We also love stuffed celery, or tuna or chicken salad with slied celery..

kadesma:)

GB that`s more or less how I make mine too, it`s unbeatable :)

celery`s also nice if you spread peanut butter down the middle of the U and just eat it as is :)

One of my favorite ways to enjoy celery (apart from chopped into tuna &/or macaroni salads) was a traditional appetizer/relish tray addition that my grandmother always put out. She'd cut the celery into 4" pieces & fill them with softened blue cheese. Delicious!!

braised celery (in stock) is a fine vegetable offering, and can be made quite fancy with egg and caper and anchovy garnish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom