Champ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So--what's the fancy name for mashed potatoes to which you add garlic and green onions? I thought everyone added green onions to mashed potatoes when "company" came.

So--what's the fancy name for mashed potatoes to which you add garlic and green onions? I thought everyone added green onions to mashed potatoes when "company" came.

You only add it when you are expecting Champ!:LOL:

My second serving was just as fantastic as the first. Unfortunately...I don't get to partake. My next batch will be subbing greek yogurt in place of the cream and butter.

i never heard of champ potatoes when i was young, but i had them for my first time in belfast a few years ago and i was hooked.

now, since there's so few ingredients, the success of the dish depends on the quality of the spuds and the type of green onions used, and of course fresh butter and cream.
o
you can grow."spring" or young onions almost all year in most of ireland, so there's slight seasonal changes. but boring ol' relatively tasteless scallions don't cut it.

they should be sweet but also with that "green" taste.

and of course, loads of fresh irish butter and cream doesn't hurt.

btw, jenny, to be sure both champ and colcannon are irish.

Last edited:
I'm only allowed 33 grams of fat/day. I need to choose wisely. I can cut back on butter, I definitely won't give it up or trade it for margerine.

Give up my butter! :shock: :w00t: :furious: NEVER!!!!

However, like you, I'm facing the reality of a more healthful and weight conscience diet. :unhappy: :glare: I've had to cut back on other sources of fat - leaner meats, minimal use of processed foods, adjusting the use of milk (I'm normally a big milk drinker), etc.

Oh, well. (sigh)

I always thought that colcannon used cabbage.

I could do cabbage, kale, not so much. I must have had it with kale the first time, too strong for my taste. I much prefer cabbage.

I looked up bubble and squeak and I think I'm already making this and didn't know it. I use the leftover corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots and make what I call a "farmer's breakfast". I just chop it all up and fry it in butter, kinda the same thing, really good for leftovers. :chef:

Well the salt mine is calling, they want their miner back! See ya later.

i never heard of champ potatoes when i was young, but i had them for my first time in belfast a few years ago and i was hooked.

now, since there's so few ingredients, the success of the dish depends on the quality of the spuds and the type of green onions used, and of course fresh butter and cream.
o
you can grow."spring" or young onions almost all year in most of ireland, so there's slight seasonal changes. but boring ol' relatively tasteless scallions don't cut it.

they should be sweet but also with that "green" taste.

and of course, loads of fresh irish butter and cream doesn't hurt.

btw, jenny, to be sure both champ and colcannon are irish.

It was a near thing, but I almost put out the money for Kerrygold butter, but I don't have a house to mortgage. And I bought whipping cream, I forgot I had a jar of Mexican Crema in the fridge.:wacko:

Give up my butter! :shock: :w00t: :furious: NEVER!!!!

However, like you, I'm facing the reality of a more healthful and weight conscience diet. :unhappy: :glare: I've had to cut back on other sources of fat - leaner meats, minimal use of processed foods, adjusting the use of milk (I'm normally a big milk drinker), etc.

Oh, well. (sigh)

I just put 0% fat milk on my Cheerios...we'll see. And I bought Reduced Fat cheeses last night to go on my Egg Beaters.

Back
Top Bottom