"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 03-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
sorry tax. andy said it all. thanks andy.

i meant that very often the scallions i buy in my local supermarkets pale (tastewise, not colour) in comparison to fresh ones that i had i ireland, and more recently here from my neighbor's garden.

i grew garlic chives last fall and they survived the winter. i can't wait to add them to mashed.
Oh, you were talking about flavour. You didn't mean that scallions were not green onions.

Isn't there a difference in the flavour of the potatoes too? Unfortunately Danish potatoes aren't as good as they used to be. They used to simply have about five times as much flavour as potatoes here, even the ones fresh from the garden.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
One of folks with whom I curl grows lots of garlic. She makes a pesto-like sauce from the tops. I've never tried that, but I'm going to email her some quinoa recipes and ask her how she makes this and how much of the top she uses.

CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote

cream, green onion, potatoes, recipe

Champ I first heard of Champ on a menu at a local restaurant, yesterday I had a sample of it at the store. [U]Champ[/U] 2 pounds russet potatoes 1/2 cup whipping cream 1/4 cup butter 1 bunch green onions, sliced Peel and cut up potatoes, boil in lightly salted water until tender. Mean while, bring cream and butter to simmer over medium heat and stir in green onions, keep warm. Drain and mash potatoes, stir in cream mixture, salt and pepper to taste. 3 stars 1 reviews