Champ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just put 0% fat milk on my Cheerios...we'll see. And I bought Reduced Fat cheeses last night to go on my Egg Beaters.

You can make a really tasty omelet with egg beaters, reduced fat cheddar and a scattering of (real) bacon bits. Add a thin slice of tomato and a basil leaf if you like.

BuckyTom did you try the Full Irish Breakfast. Belfast is a fantastic city only 35 mins from my local airport the John Lennon Airport Speke Liverpool, Liverpool is the third capital of Ireland:)

You can make a really tasty omelet with egg beaters, reduced fat cheddar and a scattering of (real) bacon bits. Add a thin slice of tomato and a basil leaf if you like.

I was going to make egg, ham and cheese muffins...with a little mustard...no butter! But I like the idea of the omelets and I have the Costco bacon bits in the fridge to use up!

Thanks, Andy!

I could do cabbage, kale, not so much. I must have had it with kale the first time, too strong for my taste. I much prefer cabbage.

The only time I'd eaten kale was in Germany. Fast forward about 30 years, and we decided to grow kale. I'd bought kale a couple of times and found it tough and also too strong for my taste but my DH loves veggies (I am a protein person myself--I would hate to be cut back on protein...), so we planted kale. There is a definite difference between the kale I bought and the kale we grow. Last year, we had one kale plant that we dug up and brought inside. The leaves were SOOOO tender in the spring. "Baby" kale is lovely. One of the tricks to kale is to put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. This sweetens it. Another trick is to remove the ribs. And, buy the smallest leaves you can get. I am sure I'll be posting about kale come summer...it does very well in our garden...

i never heard of champ potatoes when i was young, but i had them for my first time in belfast a few years ago and i was hooked.

now, since there's so few ingredients, the success of the dish depends on the quality of the spuds and the type of green onions used, and of course fresh butter and cream.
o
you can grow."spring" or young onions almost all year in most of ireland, so there's slight seasonal changes. but boring ol' relatively tasteless scallions don't cut it.

they should be sweet but also with that "green" taste.

and of course, loads of fresh irish butter and cream doesn't hurt.

btw, jenny, to be sure both champ and colcannon are irish.

What's the difference between green onions and scallions?

What's the difference between green onions and scallions?

There are several types of green onions - , chives, scallions, leeks, spring onions. Think of the first three as small medium and large versions of the same shape. Spring onions are like larger scallions with a bigger bulb more like a small onion.

Check it out: Cook's Thesaurus: Green Onions & Leeks

I just put 0% fat milk on my Cheerios...we'll see. And I bought Reduced Fat cheeses last night to go on my Egg Beaters.

I've tried the 0% milk on cereal... just doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather cut out fat somewhere else than start my day off not enjoying my cereal.

There are several types of green onions - , chives, scallions, leeks, spring onions. Think of the first three as small medium and large versions of the same shape. Spring onions are like larger scallions with a bigger bulb more like a small onion.

Check it out: Cook's Thesaurus: Green Onions & Leeks

That's what I thought. I don't understand what Buckytom meant.

I've tried the 0% milk on cereal... just doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather cut out fat somewhere else than start my day off not enjoying my cereal.

I dislike the 0% milk in my cereal a little less than I dislike subbing the 1/2&1/2 in my coffee:LOL:

I am working on reducing the amount of 1/2&1/2 I use in my coffee...but it has been a slow process...Hey! I gave up my Quad shot Breves! Give me a little time!:ROFLMAO:

sorry tax. andy said it all. thanks andy.

i meant that very often the scallions i buy in my local supermarkets pale (tastewise, not colour) in comparison to fresh ones that i had i ireland, and more recently here from my neighbor's garden.

i grew garlic chives last fall and they survived the winter. i can't wait to add them to mashed.

Last edited:
sorry tax. andy said it all. thanks andy.

i meant that very often the scallions i buy in my local supermarkets pale (tastewise, not colour) in comparison to fresh ones that i had i ireland, and more recently here from my neighbor's garden.

i grew garlic chives last fall and they survived the winter. i can't wait to add them to mashed.

Oh, you were talking about flavour. You didn't mean that scallions were not green onions.

Isn't there a difference in the flavour of the potatoes too? Unfortunately Danish potatoes aren't as good as they used to be. They used to simply have about five times as much flavour as potatoes here, even the ones fresh from the garden.

One of folks with whom I curl grows lots of garlic. She makes a pesto-like sauce from the tops. I've never tried that, but I'm going to email her some quinoa recipes and ask her how she makes this and how much of the top she uses.

Back
Top Bottom