Champ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I first heard of Champ on a menu at a local restaurant, yesterday I had a sample of it at the store.

Champ

2 pounds russet potatoes
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
1 bunch green onions, sliced

Peel and cut up potatoes, boil in lightly salted water until tender. Mean while, bring cream and butter to simmer over medium heat and stir in green onions, keep warm. Drain and mash potatoes, stir in cream mixture, salt and pepper to taste.

I'll try it too, especially now that I've found dried green onions that are a tasty additive and readily available here locally.

I also want to try adding some fresh garlic toasted in the frying pan in the manner mentioned in the thread for garlic soup. Just like roasted, but only 8 minutes to cook up.

I used to just add the garlic cloves to the potatoes and water and boil them together. Good, but I think the toasted cloves will be even better.

Thanks for the inspiration, Princess.

LOL! While it was in line with the low-sodium portion of my diet, I doubt it was with the low-fat part. Then pairing it with corned beef...I think I blew my diet yesterday!

It certainly sounds good. I never tried simmering the liquids I add before, and with the onion flavor... mmmm.

It certainly sounds good. I never tried simmering the liquids I add before, and with the onion flavor... mmmm.

Yes, my reaction exactly in the store. I looked around to make sure no one saw me having a "foodie" moment in public.

This could definitely work. It'd be a good excuse to buy more whipping cream, anyway. Maybe keep it chunky. Melt down the whites, but keep the greens to mix at the last. Try whisking up different consistencies of the cream and butter. Could be interesting. Never heard of "champ."

Try Colcanon, Clapshot, Tatties and Neeps, Bubble and Squeak, all included in the recipe book A 1000 and 1 ways with a Tattie, by Di O' Spudulike

Is this the same thing as an Irish dish called, colcannon? (sp)

Champ is Irish and slightly different than Colcannon.

Since potatoes are a staple of the Irish diet, there are many riffs on mashed potatoes. See Bolas' post, above.

My favorite is Bubble and Squeak.

Last edited:
I don't have any scallions. I was going to use up the chives I have instead. What would that one be called? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom