"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
Master Chef

Thanks Steve. I too will try them tonight, and if I they are as good as they look, I'd like to share the recipe in our Tribal newspaper. I've been asked to submit a sweet potato recipe that wasn't sickly sweet, or made with orange juice. Though I love a plain, baked sweet potato, I was looking for something new to try. This looks like it will be great. Of course, I will have to alter a few things, you know, to make it my own. But it looks wonderful just as it is, and I will be making your version tonight.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #32
Wine Guy

Steal away, Chief. I stole the basic premise of adding lime somewhere along the way. The spice additions are my own, though.

I've often thought that a good addition to this recipe might be something to add a little textural interest, maybe some nuts or seeds of some kind. Might be a nice way to mix it up and call it your own.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
Master Chef

Just made your recipe, nicked a small sweet potato to try as is since it's my first orange sweet potato. Recipe tastes great yum! Sweet potatoes are just sweeter and orange in colour but they taste pretty much the same as our yellow or white varieties. Slightly less starchy too.
The ones I found are light orange, not as dark as the pics I've seen on DC, might be a blend.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Actually, most everything the stores refer to as yams are technically sweet potatoes.

What's The Difference Between Sweet Potatoes and Yams?
What does your OP refer to? When I think "yams" I think Garnet yams, my favorite.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #35
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
What does your OP refer to? When I think "yams" I think Garnet yams, my favorite.
Hi Greg,
Garnets are actually sweet potatoes, not yams. We don't really see many true yams in the US. Garnets or Jewel (also sweet potatoes) are my favorites, too. Either of those varieties will work fine for this recipe.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Steal away, Chief. I stole the basic premise of adding lime somewhere along the way. The spice additions are my own, though.

I've often thought that a good addition to this recipe might be something to add a little textural interest, maybe some nuts or seeds of some kind. Might be a nice way to mix it up and call it your own.
When we were eating it the other day I was thinking of a textural addition and one strongly came to mind - BACON!!!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #37
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
When we were eating it the other day I was thinking of a textural addition and one strongly came to mind - BACON!!!
Oooooo.... bacon. Laurie, I would have to agree with that.

Though it might take away a bit from the healthy aspect.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oooooo.... bacon. Laurie, I would have to agree with that.

Though it might take away a bit from the healthy aspect.
Most people are a bit deficient in that "B" Vitamin...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Most people are a bit deficient in that "B" Vitamin...
B-16 (oz)
Old 10-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #40
Master Chef

Whisk mentioned Steve's Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes in an earlier post today, so I did a search and found it. I wanted to bring it back up, with Thanksgiving menu ideas coming up and all. Sounds delicious, Steve!

Tags
chili, lime, potatoes, recipe, sweet

Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes Neither my wife nor I learned to like sweet potatoes until relatively late in life. Growing up, they were always served at family get togethers drowning in marshmallows, brown sugar, and maple syrup - more like a dessert than a side dish. That turned us off of them for years, until I started experimenting with more savory recipes. This is hands down my favorite recipe for sweet potatoes. It's quick and easy and, best of all, there is nothing sweet about it. We have these at least once a month and there's usually a fight over who gets the last serving. [SIZE=4]Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes[/SIZE] Ingredients: [LIST] [*]2 lbs garnet or jewel sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes [*]1/2 red onion, chopped [*]1 tbsp olive oil [*]1/4 tsp salt [*]1/2 tsp chili powder [/LIST] Dressing: [LIST] [*]1 tbsp olive oil [*]1 tbsp lime juice [*]zest from one lime, finely minced [*]1 clove garlic, finely minced [*]1/2 tsp salt [*]1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro [/LIST] Preparation: [LIST=1] [*]Preheat oven to 425°F [*]Toss sweet potatoes, onions, olive oil, salt, and chili powder. Arrange potato mixture in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. [*]While the potatoes are in the oven, whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss hot potatoes in dressing and serve. [/LIST] 3 stars 1 reviews