Collard Greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, mostly what Uncle Bob said - start your collards in cold lightly salted water with a hunk of salt pork, a smoked ham hock, some smokey bacon (or even smoked turkey wings/legs would be better than nothing). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for an hour or two.

You can also add some cubed up turnips or rutabagas if you wish - about 30-minutes before the greens are done.

A skillet of cornbread is mandatory - how you serve it is a matter of personal choice. You can serve the greens over the cornbread or you can use the cornbread to sop up the pot-liquor. A pot of greens can either be an entire meal - or a side for a roasted chicken, or a pork roast.

And, you need a bottle of vinegar-pepper sauce ... it just wouldn't be done without a dash of Trappey's Peppers in Vinegar sauce.

thank you for all the suggestions, I am looking forward to getting the chance to get to the garden to harvest the dern leaves:mad: right now they are still safely growing away:)

I will have to improvise on the vinegar pepper sauce, maybe a red wine vinegar with a touch of cayenne powder and a bit of penzeys' smoked paprika...that's the best I can think of. I will likely to go with the bowl of collards and using the corn bread to sop with. I've got several left over pork chops...maybe dinner tonight

I always cook my greens in chicken broth instead of water. I seems to take out any bitterness.

Back
Top Bottom