"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
You have to be careful with any kind of greens when taking Warfarin, Coumadin, etc., even salad greens. Patients are warned about that when they are started on the medications.
A bit off topic, but I wasn't the first one to bring it up-------- about warfarin and Vit K (green leafies)

It's not just greens. Cauliflower (a brassica also) is fairly high in Vit K.
But head/iceberg lettuce has less Vit K in it than Romaine. So, with some care salads can be eaten if you use head lettuce.

I'm the Vit K Kueen!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't know if this is the case in the US, but here in Quebec, almost all the white vinegar is made from alcohol made from petroleum products.

I did find that Loblaws, etc. carry a President's Choice white vinegar made from grain alcohol. I bought some for when someone really wants white vinegar on/with food. The other kind lives under my sink with the other cleaning products.
I grew up eating homemade salad dressing, German potato salad, marinated veggie salads, pickles, meat marinades, etc., made with white vinegar. It's sold with all the other vinegars in the grocery store.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And I think that is why I can't stand cabbage rolls. I do like cabbage.
Well, again, it's a matter of personal taste. You like Danish cabbage cooked for two hours, but not cabbage rolls. Who can say why? Um, I'm going to guess comfort food memories
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post

Probably if you didn't add in the sweetness with molasses or brown sugar. I actually had to add extra when I made them the other night because I got a little heavy handed when I added the molasses (don't measure anymore) and they were a bit sweet. You really aren't adding that much anyway compared to everything else so you just get the vinegary taste.
Yeah, "bag of collard greens" and 2 tbsp white vinegar is not going to taste harsh, even with an added bottle of beer For a bag of collards, visualize an entire head of cabbage unrolled.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
Wine Guy

I love collards. My favorite preparation is to cook them with smoked ham hocks. I don't use much else in the way of seasoning other than a few shakes of hot sauce, and I don't think I've ever cooked them with vinegar (although it sounds pretty good). And yes, they do require longer cooking time than cabbage. Unlike green cabbage, they don't have the sulfur issue with overcooking.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Those sound great MT.

Here's what went on at last night's dinner thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I bought a bag of shredded collard greens at Trader Joe's and my experience with them is practically nill. I'm planning on cooking up some diced panchetta, (also TJ's) and onion with some of my home made chicken stock. If that doesn't sound right, please speak up fast. I guess I need to make cornbread too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
I'm with you so far, I also like to add fresh chopped garlic and red pepper flakes to mine.
__________________________________________________ _________

They turned out well last night with the addition of garlic and red pepper flakes, as prescribed by Bea.
Since we are notorious meat eaters, I nestled some large pieces of smoked sausages among the greens. A pan of cornbread made it complete. Yumm Yumm, I think I did my southern Mama proud.

Day two is even better!

For breakfast split and butter a couple pieces of cornbread, place it in a cast iron skillet to "toast", serve with favorite jam. Drain the greens and heat them up in a skillet, top with eggs and cover until the eggs are more or less poached. If you are up to it have a glass of "potlikker" instead of juice!

Delish in a dish!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I grew up eating homemade salad dressing, German potato salad, marinated veggie salads, pickles, meat marinades, etc., made with white vinegar. It's sold with all the other vinegars in the grocery store.
So did I. But, I heard about the petroleum and quit using white vinegar for food a long time ago, and now I much prefer other vinegars. I don't know that there is anything wrong with petroleum based white vinegar, but it creeps me out.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, again, it's a matter of personal taste. You like Danish cabbage cooked for two hours, but not cabbage rolls. Who can say why? Um, I'm going to guess comfort food memories
It doesn't have that cooked cabbage, sulphury smell. I think it's the vinegar.

I actually have fond memories of my farmor's (father's mother) Swedish cabbage rolls.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Day two is even better!

For breakfast split and butter a couple pieces of cornbread, place it in a cast iron skillet to "toast", serve with favorite jam. Drain the greens and heat them up in a skillet, top with eggs and cover until the eggs are more or less poached. If you are up to it have a glass of "potlikker" instead of juice!

Delish in a dish!
We ate it all up last night GG. Guess what's on my shopping list for next week?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We ate it all up last night GG. Guess what's on my shopping list for next week?
Don't be afraid to try the frozen ones, they are very good and take much less time to prepare!

Tags
greens bacon onion beer, recipe

Collard greens can be really yummy Okay, I'll take the advice from yesterday's dinner thread and start a recipe thread for collards. This is not really my recipe but one I've stolen from Emeril and I just kind of adapt to what I have in the pantry. Bag of collards or a big bunch of collards - washed and picked thru (even if it's bagged cause I've found bugs before) A good sized onion, chopped 2 good size garlic cloves, chopped 4-6 pieces of bacon - I've even just used bacon grease if didn't have any bacon and it tasted the same, just didn't have the bacon bits in it Bottle of plain old beer - you can use chicken broth or even water if you don't want to use beer but beer just makes it better. 1 tablespoon of molasses or 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (dark or light, whatever you have) good shake of cayenne pepper - to your heat tolerance white vinegar to taste - I start with a couple of tablespoons salt and pepper Cook the bacon in a medium sized, heavy bottomed pot till crispy, remove and set aside to cool, then break into pieces. Cook onions in pot until translucent over medium heat, add the garlic for a minute or so, then add the whole bottle of beer. Add cayenne, S&P, molasses or brown sugar, and vinegar, stir. Once starting to boil start adding the collards a good handful at a time, pressing down and mixing up as they start to soften. Throw in some of the bacon pieces here and there as you do this. Cover and let cook until your desired doneness. Adding water if all the liquid evaporates and they still need to cook longer. I cook them until they are totally soft as that's the way Craig likes them. Usually takes the better part of an hour. We grow collards too like the other person in the dinner thread. A few plants can grow a lot of collards and where we live it's tough to give them away as most people here associate them with bad cafeteria food from school. So, we had to find other uses. BTW, they do freeze well if you blanch them but generally fall apart once they've been in the freezer. I much prefer the ones we've grown to what we get from the grocery so I don't mind freezing them. Creamed collards - just like creamed spinach but they take a little longer to cook. Collard Rolls - Blanch them, cut out the center vein where it starts to get big and roll up just like you would for cabbage rolls. We like to use dirty rice for this. Funny thing, when I posted this on the dinner forum the first year we grew collards, my idea showed up on a Food Network program a couple of months later. You can't blanch and freeze the whole leaves, they just tear apart - yep, learned from experience. Whose up next? 3 stars 1 reviews