Collard greens can be really yummy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have to be careful with any kind of greens when taking Warfarin, Coumadin, etc., even salad greens. Patients are warned about that when they are started on the medications.

A bit off topic, but I wasn't the first one to bring it up----:cool:---- about warfarin and Vit K (green leafies)

It's not just greens. Cauliflower (a brassica also) is fairly high in Vit K.
But head/iceberg lettuce has less Vit K in it than Romaine. So, with some care salads can be eaten if you use head lettuce.

I'm the Vit K Kueen!

I don't know if this is the case in the US, but here in Quebec, almost all the white vinegar is made from alcohol made from petroleum products. :ermm:

I did find that Loblaws, etc. carry a President's Choice white vinegar made from grain alcohol. I bought some for when someone really wants white vinegar on/with food. The other kind lives under my sink with the other cleaning products. :LOL:

I grew up eating homemade salad dressing, German potato salad, marinated veggie salads, pickles, meat marinades, etc., made with white vinegar. It's sold with all the other vinegars in the grocery store.

And I think that is why I can't stand cabbage rolls. I do like cabbage.

Well, again, it's a matter of personal taste. You like Danish cabbage cooked for two hours, but not cabbage rolls. Who can say why? Um, I'm going to guess comfort food memories :LOL:

Last edited:
Probably if you didn't add in the sweetness with molasses or brown sugar. I actually had to add extra when I made them the other night because I got a little heavy handed when I added the molasses (don't measure anymore) and they were a bit sweet. You really aren't adding that much anyway compared to everything else so you just get the vinegary taste.

Yeah, "bag of collard greens" and 2 tbsp white vinegar is not going to taste harsh, even with an added bottle of beer :LOL: For a bag of collards, visualize an entire head of cabbage unrolled.

I love collards. My favorite preparation is to cook them with smoked ham hocks. I don't use much else in the way of seasoning other than a few shakes of hot sauce, and I don't think I've ever cooked them with vinegar (although it sounds pretty good). And yes, they do require longer cooking time than cabbage. Unlike green cabbage, they don't have the sulfur issue with overcooking.

Last edited:
Those sound great MT.

Here's what went on at last night's dinner thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I bought a bag of shredded collard greens at Trader Joe's and my experience with them is practically nill. I'm planning on cooking up some diced panchetta, (also TJ's) and onion with some of my home made chicken stock. If that doesn't sound right, please speak up fast. I guess I need to make cornbread too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
I'm with you so far, I also like to add fresh chopped garlic and red pepper flakes to mine.

They turned out well last night with the addition of garlic and red pepper flakes, as prescribed by Bea.
Since we are notorious meat eaters, I nestled some large pieces of smoked sausages among the greens. A pan of cornbread made it complete. Yumm Yumm, I think I did my southern Mama proud.

Day two is even better!

For breakfast split and butter a couple pieces of cornbread, place it in a cast iron skillet to "toast", serve with favorite jam. Drain the greens and heat them up in a skillet, top with eggs and cover until the eggs are more or less poached. If you are up to it have a glass of "potlikker" instead of juice!

Delish in a dish! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I grew up eating homemade salad dressing, German potato salad, marinated veggie salads, pickles, meat marinades, etc., made with white vinegar. It's sold with all the other vinegars in the grocery store.
So did I. But, I heard about the petroleum and quit using white vinegar for food a long time ago, and now I much prefer other vinegars. I don't know that there is anything wrong with petroleum based white vinegar, but it creeps me out. :ermm:

Well, again, it's a matter of personal taste. You like Danish cabbage cooked for two hours, but not cabbage rolls. Who can say why? Um, I'm going to guess comfort food memories :LOL:
It doesn't have that cooked cabbage, sulphury smell. I think it's the vinegar.

I actually have fond memories of my farmor's (father's mother) Swedish cabbage rolls.

Day two is even better!

For breakfast split and butter a couple pieces of cornbread, place it in a cast iron skillet to "toast", serve with favorite jam. Drain the greens and heat them up in a skillet, top with eggs and cover until the eggs are more or less poached. If you are up to it have a glass of "potlikker" instead of juice!

Delish in a dish! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We ate it all up last night GG. Guess what's on my shopping list for next week?

So did I. But, I heard about the petroleum and quit using white vinegar for food a long time ago, and now I much prefer other vinegars. I don't know that there is anything wrong with petroleum based white vinegar, but it creeps me out. :ermm:

TL, white vinegar is made from corn. Or at least it is in the US.

EDIT: I stand corrected. A little research indicates that the acetic acid used in some vinegar can come from petroleum sources, but it must be labeled accordingly.

Last edited:
Can you eat these plain?
They sound like they need a lot of doctoring up to make them palatable.

I agree that something you don't like needs doctoring up, but I like the taste of them. I do cook them a long time, but it's such a low heat that it's really just steaming them. I like them really, really soft and wilted down, something like canned spinach. I don't use any bacon or pork fat because I want it to be healthy, and I do not like the taste of "sweet" so I would not want any brown sugar etc in them and I also don't like the taste of vinegar. I like the taste of the greens, and they ARE flavored with the onion, garlic and mushrooms. I check and stir them occasionally and it might now be an hour that I cook them, depends on how long it takes them to soften to where I want them.

I like most veggies plain, or maybe with just a bit of butter and salt. No sauces etc.

I don't think there's anything I eat that don't like the flavor of "as is" as well as seasoned or sauced. Spinach, B sprouts, even cabbage I'd have no problem eating plain if that's all there was.
I was just curious if collard greens can be enjoyed by themself. They sound like how Andy M describes cauliflower :LOL:

Pac, if you eat cooked spinach you could eat cooked greens. I can eat raw spinach as in a salad, but greens are very tough and I don't think I would like them raw. Most people who cook greens add some fat pork to it. I took all the recipes I saw and used the procedure, but changed the ingredients to what I thought I would like. You can also chop them up and add them to soup.

I make saag-----""Indian saag is a curry of cooked mustard or similar 'bitter' greens (kale, collards, turnip greens), and spinach or similar mild greens (chard, bok choy, beet greens). Any combination of greens works! Use more spices and peppers for hot saag, or less for mild."

Hi folks. Haven't been around for a while, but it's nice to see y'all again.
I don't think anybody would want to eat them raw...
If you get the whole plant cut off at ground level, there will be some younger, more tender leaves at the center that are great raw mixed with lettuce in a salad.

I like collards, turnip and mustard greens separate or together, cooked in a stock made from smoked pork neck bones, onion, celery and poblano pepper. It takes 3 or 4 hrs. to break down all the connective tissue that holds the spine together and then you're left with a lot of little bones and stuff that you can't pick out of the greens if you cook them together. If you make the stock the night before and drain and cool it you get a smoked pork and pepper flavored jello. Simmer the greens in that for an hour or two you've got something insanely delicious.:pig:

...Once starting to boil start adding the collards a good handful at a time, pressing down and mixing up as they start to soften...

How do you prep the collards, Med, or don't you? By "handful" do you mean handfuls of whole leaves, stems and all? I didn't realize the leaves were so big...

The ones I grow can have huge leaves, as in close to a foot across, because I only grow a few plants, besides the fact that It's just the 2 of us. I don't chop off the whole plant. I cut off the leaves close to the stalk at the bottom and let the plant continue to grow. One grew to almost 4' tall last year before it got too hot and I pulled it out of ground.

Anyway, I wash the leaves to get off any dirt or insects as I try to use as little as possible insecticide and/or use organic methods to cut down on pests. Cut out the biggest part of the vein then fold the leaves in half lengthwise, if it's really big make a cut lengthwise to quarter it, then cut horizontally in a couple of inch widths down length of leaf. I usually stack several leaves together and do this.

I've used the new leaves in soups and such but don't think I'd want to eat them raw.

Last edited:
ahh... so they are more like ribbons... and you are cutting out most of the stem.
Then I can assume you can eat your recipe with just a fork and not have to use a knife?

Thanks. Obviously I've never eaten a leafy vegetable this big.
For all I knew it was to be cut and eaten from the plate, like George Costanza and a Snickers bar.

Back
Top Bottom