"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking new potatoes

Hey everyone,

I have potatoes nearly every night, and with things like quiche I normally have small new potatoes. It's gets quite boring just having boiled new potatoes.

Is there anyway of spcing these up. How do you cook your potatoes?

Nothing too time-consuming, as I normally just want to cook them without too much input as it's normally after work, so don't want to fiddle round for hours with them.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Red Rabbit..

One of my many favorite ways to prepare "new potatoes" is to boil/simmer in water, salt, butter, and garlic,. Just enough water to get the job done. When done..make a "slurry" of milk and flour and thicken the juice. you can make it as thick or thin as you like..Sever in bowls with black pepper on top. I suppose it's kinda like a potato soup..but anyways is good. Especially with a with hot corn bread! Hope this gives you some ideas..

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Here's my favorite way to have potatoes:

MeanMeals.com - BBQ Potatoes - Create and share your personal list of meals and recipes

The potatoes don't require much preparation, but they do need a barbecue to cook. If you don't have access to a BBQ, or if it's too much work, try out this potato recipe:

MeanMeals.com - Baked Potato Wedges - Create and share your personal list of meals and recipes

It's just a classic, well-spiced potato wedge.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

If you have some already boiled potatoes, cut them into bite sized pieces, get a skillet warm and saute some onion or shallot and a cclove or two of sliced garlic, when soft remove, turn up heat and add a little more evoo, get nice and hot then put in your diced potatoes, get them nice and golden, add bck your onion and garlic to warm them then plate sprinkle with a little finely chopped flat leaf parsley and enjoy. My DH, loves these and will order them when we go out for breakfast!!! Loves them at home with a chop or burger patty.

kadesma
Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
new spuds BBQ`d are great, I par boil and skewer them up regularly in the summer.

boiled and left to go cold is also nice, cut them up into a bowl add mayonaise and a little shredded onion and chili flakes.

another nice way it boil them with the skins on, add plenty of butter and cream cheese with chopped spring onion and coursely mash these together, you don`t want a Fine mash, you need to leave some good textures going on in there, serve right away while still hot.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Another idea for saving time would be to boil enough potatoes for a few days and keep them in the fridge. So, rather than taking the time it takes to boil, you can use that time to slice and dice and prepare them in a different way. I do mine a lot like kadesma's sautee and YT's mash.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I use my rice cooker, with steamer insert, to cook my new potatoes. Well, actually, any potatoes. Once the potatoes are tender, I mix a slurry of melted butter with a little flour. Then I toss the potatoes with this mixture until they are nicely coated and season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and lots of chopped chives. Fresh chives are superb but dried ones can be used, too.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

I love them roasted in the oven...just toss in olive oil and your favorite seasonings. I like to use a garlic & herb mix + coarse black pepper.

I also like to braise them in chicken broth with a bit of garlic and leeks (if I have them). Often I add other vegies, such as baby carrots, brussels sprouts or broccoli. Just don't add your broccoli too soon, or it will get over-cooked. A couple of pats of butter added at the end really sets it off.

I like Uncle Bob's method...will try that soon!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I like mine lightly smashed with some Heinz 57 and a bit of butter, s&p.

Smashed with some fresh grated Parmesan and horseradish - quite tasty

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

I definitely second Kadesma's method, as I enjoy them that way too.

Sometimes I'll boil until just tender, slice, & saute in some hot half butter/half extra virgin olive oil, & sprinkle with salt, pepper, & paprika.

A final favorite of mine is to boil, lightly "smash", & serve with salt, pepper, melted butter, & a splash of heavy cream or a dollop of sour cream.

Tags
None