Cooking spinach questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah - and there is the rub ... produce picked for transport across the country, or to another country, is picked before its prime. Produce intended for freezing is generally picked within about 12-hours of processing at it's "peak of freshness" - which explains why frozen most often taste better than "fresh". Produce that is available locally freshly picked from the garden is definately superior in taste and freshness.
you're absolutely right!! i prefer frozen to fresh in off seasons or if the produce looks off. i rarely buy tomatoes in the winter because they are usually "mealy" which i hate. i live where there are many farms in the summer to get fresh produce. usually freshly picked and still sun warmed or dew laden if i go in the morning.

...which explains why frozen most often taste better than "fresh"....

Oh, come now, Michael! Aren't you overstating your case just a wee bit? I have never had frozen asparagus, carrots, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, Brussels sprouts, or just about anything else that I can think of that comes anywhere near the quality of the fresh veggies I can buy just about any day at the supermarket. The supermarket veggies are also significantly superior in texture -- freezing significantly degrades the texture of most veggies, IMO. Of course, if something is out of season, frozen may be the only alternative. Still, I'd almost always pick whatever fresh veggie is available before opting for frozen.

That said, I do keep frozen peas and green beans on hand as fill-ins for when I'm out of fresh, and I use frozen spinach in a lot of dishes, such as lasagna, simply because it's convenient.

Oh, come now, Michael! Aren't you overstating your case just a wee bit? I have never had frozen asparagus, carrots, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, Brussels sprouts, or just about anything else that I can think of that comes anywhere near the quality of the fresh veggies I can buy just about any day at the supermarket. The supermarket veggies are also significantly superior in texture -- freezing significantly degrades the texture of most veggies, IMO. Of course, if something is out of season, frozen may be the only alternative. Still, I'd almost always pick whatever fresh veggie is available before opting for frozen.

That said, I do keep frozen peas and green beans on hand as fill-ins for when I'm out of fresh, and I use frozen spinach in a lot of dishes, such as lasagna, simply because it's convenient.

i will never buy frozen asparagus, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, Brussels sprouts, they taste rubbery. i do buy frozen spinach, green beans and peas. i also like frozen greens - kale, turnip, mustard and collards.

hi

I rarely eat spinach, since I don't like the taste.. Frankly, I don't even know how to cook it properly..

What do you do with the excess moist when cooking spinach - simply drain it? Or do you keep cooking till all the water is evaporated?

Today I sauteed frozen (organic) spinach together with onions and garlic. I also added Turkish hot pepper paste, and it still didn't taste good. Next time I'll add some cream cheese or something...

Hi, :)

Spinach is known as a rich source of iron and calcium 180 gram serving of boiled spinach contains 6.43 mg of iron, whereas one 6 oz. (170 gram) ground hamburger patty contains at most 4.42 mg. Thus spinach does contain a relatively high level of iron, compared to other vegetable and meat source.

bye

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ADORE the Hanover brand of frozen vegetables - especially their petite baby brussels sprouts. High quality, fabulous taste, wonderful texture that beats big old cabbagey supermarket "fresh" sprouts any day. Unless I can buy sprouts still "on the stem" at a farmers market or pick them out of my own garden, I'll always opt for frozen.

Hi, :)

Spinach is known as a rich source of iron and calcium 180 gram serving of boiled spinach contains 6.43 mg of iron, whereas one 6 oz. (170 gram) ground hamburger patty contains at most 4.42 mg. Thus spinach does contain a relatively high level of iron, compared to other vegetable and meat source.

bye
Thank you Sujatha. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom