"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I didn't notice that you're using frozen -- my comments were meant for fresh spinach, which is far superior as a vegetable. However, I often use frozen chopped spinach in recipes, such as spinach lasagna, and it's quite good for such things.
I thought that frozen vegetables were just as good and nutritious. I also eat a lot of frozen mixed vegetables. It tastes good, and I hope it's true that they are just as nutritious as fresh ones.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

They ARE!! In fact, frozen vegetables quite frequently are even MORE nutritious than fresh. A couple of years ago the New York Times had a very interesting & enlightening article on the subject, along with how many high-end restaurants depend on frozen veggies to put out a high-quality end product.

Items like frozen peas*, SPINACH (lol!), green beans, cubed winter squash, brussel sprouts - & others - were found to be - more than not - more tender & more nutritious than fresh because the frozen product was processed just hours after picking, as opposed to the fresh product, which frequently takes weeks to arrive at your supermarket, losing moisture & vital nutrients along the way.

Obviously this doesn't pertain to veggies you buy from your local farmers market or pick from your own garden.

(*Frozen peas are another necessary ALWAYS standby in my freezer.)

Old 04-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Cook

Yeah, I have also read articles before that frozen vegetables are as good as fresh vege.
My favorite way of cooking spinach is to saute it with garlic, pine nuts and dried cranberries. Simply delicious!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
They ARE!! In fact, frozen vegetables quite frequently are even MORE nutritious than fresh. A couple of years ago the New York Times had a very interesting & enlightening article on the subject, along with how many high-end restaurants depend on frozen veggies to put out a high-quality end product.

Items like frozen peas*, SPINACH (lol!), green beans, cubed winter squash, brussel sprouts - & others - were found to be - more than not - more tender & more nutritious than fresh because the frozen product was processed just hours after picking, as opposed to the fresh product, which frequently takes weeks to arrive at your supermarket, losing moisture & vital nutrients along the way.

Obviously this doesn't pertain to veggies you buy from your local farmers market or pick from your own garden.

(*Frozen peas are another necessary ALWAYS standby in my freezer.)
Thanks BreezyCooking.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
Executive Chef

my first choice is using fresh spinach in a salad, but when I cook it, I like a creamed spinach and a spinach soup, add a bit of nutmeg to both. Frozen spinach works well when creamed or in a soup.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Have you ever tried a spinach Lasagna ? spinach with a little bit of olive oil, garlic and ricotta !
It is really delicious !
Old 04-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
I thought that frozen vegetables were just as good and nutritious. I also eat a lot of frozen mixed vegetables. It tastes good, and I hope it's true that they are just as nutritious as fresh ones.
Fresh is usually superior in taste, assuming the fruit or vegetable is properly ripened and in good condition. However, there's no significant difference in nutrition. Read this.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourDietitian View Post
Have you ever tried a spinach Lasagna ? spinach with a little bit of olive oil, garlic and ricotta !
It is really delicious !
Sounds good.
Quote:
Fresh is usually superior in taste, assuming the fruit or vegetable is properly ripened and in good condition. However, there's no significant difference in nutrition. Read this.
Thank you Scotch.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
Master Chef

i chopped bacon and cook it in frying pan till crisp, remove and drain it. to pan i add olive oil and garlic. i saute the garlic just till soft and fragrant. i then add potato diced small, some chopped banana peppers (the ones in vinegar) and a box of frozen spinach without draining (the liquid helps cook the potatoes), cover till the potatoes are cooked. when the potatoes are cooked i add the crumbled bacon. i serve with crusty bread to dip in the juice (spinach juice has lots of vitamins in it).
Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Ah - and there is the rub ... produce picked for transport across the country, or to another country, is picked before its prime. Produce intended for freezing is generally picked within about 12-hours of processing at it's "peak of freshness" - which explains why frozen most often taste better than "fresh". Produce that is available locally freshly picked from the garden is definately superior in taste and freshness.

Tags
None